Rotterdam “self-guided art tour?”

Machta

After the ipods to borrow disappeared from the HAL ships, you could still download an art tour podcast per ship and use your own device. I did have the podcast file for the Rotterdam R-class (previous Rotterdam) but erased it after she left the fleet. Was hoping to sail on her once more but never happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:33 PM, Machta said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I’ll go to guest services and ask once we’re on board.  The HAL website still lists it as an option . . . 

Would you kindly update here to report your findings? Very curious...🤔

On 6/28/2023 at 7:23 AM, Haljo1935 said:

Would you kindly update here to report your findings? Very curious...🤔

I made a note to myself to report after we cruise.  Thanks for the idea!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon, all!  We just returned from our cruise, which was FANTASTIC.  The weather held for the most part, and the fjords were spectacular!  The Rotterdam is a beautiful ship.

Right before we left there was a good offer to upgrade to a Neptune, which we did.  Once aboard I asked the concierge in the lounge about the art tour.  She printed out a handout of the art available on board including the title, artist, and where it was located, but no other information.  

There was also a “scavenger hunt” for art that we saw a lot of families with young kids doing on the first sea day.  

All in all, the art was interesting, but it would have been nice if the handout had offered a little more information on the pieces.  The piece we found most interesting was in one of the elevator lobbies (forward elevators, I think), a sculpture of an underwater scene made of bent & cut chicken wire (!) that had been dipped either in brightly colored paint or latex.  We looked at it for a long time from many angles.  I really liked it, and I have so much admiration for the artist who created such an interesting piece from, of all things, chicken wire!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks @Machta for the update, glad you enjoyed it. Guessing you didn't snap a picture of the Chicken Wire Art?

I did not take a picture of it . . . I guess you’ll just have to sail on the Rotterdam and see it for yourself!  Time to plan another cruise?

• Haha 1

I downloaded all the  availabe art tours a while back.   You can find them on my website HERE

image.thumb.png.ac84b230dab61388eceb37a169980671.png

THe newer ships don't have art tours.    I have suggested they put the information on the navigator app.   Keep asking.   If they think enough people are interested, they may put something together.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

THe newer ships don't have art tours.    I have suggested they put the information on the navigator app.   Keep asking.   If they think enough people are interested, they may put something together.

What a great suggestion!  I will be sure to make that suggestion on board the Rotterdam.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 12:07 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I downloaded all the  availabe art tours a while back.   You can find them on my website HERE

image.thumb.png.ac84b230dab61388eceb37a169980671.png

This file was sent to me by HAL, for Koningsdam.  It is not a complete tour but my be a nice addition to your library 

KODM_ArtFAQ_Jan2019_lores.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

You will find links to all known art tours HERE

If you have one not listed - send me a note and I will add it.

connect@theinsidecabin.com

Confused - I was excited to see the Rotterdam PDF at the bottom in the first column but when I clicked it said art on the Koningsdam?