First time on Oceania--what are your best tips?

anonymousegirl

Hi all,

Husband and I are doing our first O cruise on the Riviera on July 9, Southampton to Reykjavik. We're in a PH3 (with the old bathroom design). We have booked all three La Reserves, and have our four specialty dining booked as well. We've done the online check-in. We're staying in nearby Winchester and will Uber over to the terminal.

What tips do you have that you think I should know, do, download, or whatever?

Thanks!!!

Lori

Smart move on booking the La Reserve dinners.

Otherwise Rule #1 for Newbies:

Don’t believe all the hype around Oceania’s marketing of “ Best cuisine at Sea”, thus expecting sensational dining experiences in all the venues. What I heard most from many of the Newbies on my recent Vista cruise was how disappointed they were with the food. Only a few actual complaints, but a big letdown from all the promotional hype.

Enjoy the food, moderate your expectations, and you’ll be happy with your experience.We, as usual, had some excellent meals and some very mediocre meals aboard ship.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Yep, so many people come to Oceania with unrealistic expectations. The food is usually quite good, depending on your past experiences on cruise ships. While the service is good there is no one that will be fawning over you or pampering you. That's for the ship within a ship lines. Everyone is pretty much treated the same. 

• Like 4

Random thoughts: Unless suites come with special Wifi privileges, if there are two of you in suite, don't try to both use internet account at once.  One person at a time can be using the free wifi/internet account at a time. You can both use it, and use it on different devices, just not at same time. If you both want to use wifi a lot, pay for an extra account. And if need help, look in the Currents to see when the computer manager will be in Oceania at Sea and ask for help.  

At least give The Terrace a try for dinner, especially on nice evenings when you can sit outside.  Even if there's no ship or land in sight, I love eating out there.  And try the grill in the middle of the served buffet at least once. 

Shouldn't be hard to find a suite, but if you're fumbling first day, look for a landmark like a phone when you get off the elevator.  If your suite is on same side of ship as the phone, that will help you.

If you want to be alone rather than surrounded by people on the pool deck, look for loungers on the deck above, or on either side of the ship on one of the decks (forget which one).

Horizons is good for early AM coffee.  Waves is good for lighter lunches. Salmon teriyaki washed down with a smoothie is my favorite. Baristas is good for cappucinos.

Library is nice for peace & quiet, and they have travel books if you want to plan another vacation.

If you're into art (artist loft classes) sign up early.

For info on Oceania, don't forget to look at the FAQs mentioned at bottom of O's website home page.  And don't expect Oceania to be the same as Crystal, Windstar, Celebrity, Viking, or whatever you cruised last. Keep an open mind.

• Like 1

If you are interested in spa services/facilities or fitness, take a tour of the spa/fitness area on embarkation day. There will be a handout a list of spa services with prices and another with the fitness classes/services (free like yoga/pilates and for a fee like personal training).

Food expectations have been mentioned, and I agree. On my first O cruise (Dec. 2021, also first cruise ever) I was initially disappointed in the food. But then I realized that I was comparing it to the places I normally eat which rarely seat more than 50 and are chef-owned (or partially owned) farm to table type places. This was very unfair of me since the O kitchens are cooking for 100s (or 1000s on the larger ships including crew) with food of varying freshness. As my expectations adjusted to reality, I've chosen foods wisely (for the most part) and enjoyed most of what was served. Always leave room for dessert!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Additional specialty restaurant reservations are available on a space available basis. Ask your butler or the reservation desk in the lobby.
  • Waves grill has a great “surf and turf” sandwich.
  • Terrace cafe has lobster tails, steak, chops all grilled to order every evening.
  • Tea in Horizons is popular. Arrive early if you want a table.
  • Please share any perceived any shortcomings with staff, preferably an officer.
  • If you want to use the spa watch for daily specials.
  • Trivia can be cutthroat. 😉
Edited by Classiccruiser777
  • Like 1

You will have access to the Spa Terrace with a PH cabin.  It is a favorite place for us in afternoons and rarely busy.
We go to afternoon tea everyday.  My husband enjoys it as much as I do.

We enjoy the entertainment shows every night!  

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Smart move on booking the La Reserve dinners.

Otherwise Rule #1 for Newbies:

Don’t believe all the hype around Oceania’s marketing of “ Best cuisine at Sea”, thus expecting sensational dining experiences in all the venues. What I heard most from many of the Newbies on my recent Vista cruise was how disappointed they were with the food. Only a few actual complaints, but a big letdown from all the promotional hype.

Enjoy the food, moderate your expectations, and you’ll be happy with your experience.We, as usual, had some excellent meals and some very mediocre meals aboard ship.

Pinotlover, thanks for stating this.We are on the last two days of our first Oceania, and have been a bit disappointed on the food! We booked our two speciality restaurants before boarding.One was very nice the other not.But I have tried every day to get a reservation for the one we enjoyed and every time have been told fully booked.The service has been excellent by all the staff and we have had a great time as we always do.But I haven’t looked to book with them while on the ship which is unusual, so maybe not for us.Dianne

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, anonymousegirl said:

Husband and I are doing our first O cruise on the Riviera on July 9, Southampton to Reykjavik. We're in a PH3 (with the old bathroom design)....

First, study the layout of the ship in advance and know where everything is. Including elevators and stairwells. And know the difference between "port" and "starboard", "forward" and "aft". Second, READ your CURRENTS very, very carefully each evening it is delivered so you know what all will be happening on the ship the next day. Third, after you board, make sure to walk the ship deck by deck to study the art, the decor, make sure you know where everything is. Fourth, look in the drawers and shelves and cabinets of your cabin to find the things that are there (everything from a wine opener to an umbrella to your bathrobes to a shoe horn to a hair dryer, etc.).

• Like 1

La Reserve meals will not disappoint.  You will probably meet some nice people there.

Do participate in the daily Trivia game.  It's a wonderful way to make new friends and laugh a lot.  

Check Currents to determine when and where various musicians are playing - String quartet, pianist...

Don't feel obligated to get off the ship at each port, or to take formal shore excursions.  This is your vacation - you are allowed to go against the flow.

Get to know your butler and use his services.  If you have any questions, ask him.  

Trivia might be fun if they block out all internet services in the Lounge and disallow the use of all portable electronic equipment. 

We stopped playing years ago, because we were playing for fun. We could never compete with those blatantly cheating for big O points! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, di T said:

Pinotlover, thanks for stating this.We are on the last two days of our first Oceania, and have been a bit disappointed on the food! We booked our two speciality restaurants before boarding.One was very nice the other not.But I have tried every day to get a reservation for the one we enjoyed and every time have been told fully booked.The service has been excellent by all the staff and we have had a great time as we always do.But I haven’t looked to book with them while on the ship which is unusual, so maybe not for us.Dianne

Ship/restaurants and details please; we have yet to take our first O cruise, but we also booked it because it is a TA that ends in Lisbon on Vista, but not until 2025.  it seems like so many cruise lines are cutting costs and raising prices...

Edited by Lastdance

5 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Ship/restaurants and details please; we have yet to take our first O cruise, but we also booked it because it is a TA that ends in Lisbon on Vista, but not until 2025.  it seems like so many cruise lines are cutting costs and raising prices...

Basically you get what you pay for. We either cruiseOceania or Viking but not happy with the prices so have held off booking for next year. Was considering Cunard as we like to dress up but the cruise we looked at suddenly went up about 50%. Problem with Cunard is not pirt intensive. 

Avoid the cookies (they’re tasteless), drain pour the Germain, and pass eating at Ember (new and noisy specialty restaurant on Vista). This is the gist from several threads.🤪

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Avoid the cookies (they’re tasteless), drain pour the Germain, and pass eating at Ember (new and noisy specialty restaurant on Vista). This is the gist from several threads.🤪

But everyone has different taste so should try everything for themselves and make personal decision - I have found some tasteful cookies at Barristas and have several friends that enjoyed Embers for what it is and not comparing to Jacques....better to point out things enjoyed 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Lastdance said:

we are sailing Nautica (so one of the smaller ships) Only two speciality restaurants Polo Grill which was just ok.Much preferred the Toscana (Italian) The pasta of the day I had as a small portion before my Entrée of sea bass was lovely.

just find it strange that every time I ask in the morning the guy on the reservation desks says fully booked! We would have liked to visit Toscana one more time.We are in an ordinary category stateroom so no butler but I have heard some say they have had dinner most nights in the specials. Haven’t asked today as it’s the last night and a sea day, but we have had a lovely time.Dianne

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, di T said:

we are sailing Nautica (so one of the smaller ships) Only two speciality restaurants Polo Grill which was just ok.Much preferred the Toscana (Italian) The pasta of the day I had as a small portion before my Entrée of sea bass was lovely.

just find it strange that every time I ask in the morning the guy on the reservation desks says fully booked! We would have liked to visit Toscana one more time.We are in an ordinary category stateroom so no butler but I have heard some say they have had dinner most nights in the specials. Haven’t asked today as it’s the last night and a sea day, but we have had a lovely time.Dianne

We have found on the R ships (smaller) on a shorter itinerary (7-10 days) it is difficult to get extra reservations ....few days for everyone to get their allotted reservations and only 2 restaurants to spread out the reservations.  It is much easier on a longer cruise and/or on the larger ships with 4 restaurants.

We’re getting ready for our 7th Oceania cruise (Norwegian coast) and I’ll speak to the food.  First of all, not having to make grocery list, buy groceries, cook every day makes EVERY meal wonderful on board, lol (and I actually like to cook).  The menus haven’t changed much, so by now I know what I want to eat and I’m rarely disappointed.  We generally have dinner in grand dining room or a specialty restaurant.  I like breakfast in the GDR, also, though they do make omelets to order in Terrace Cafe.  We rarely eat in the Terrace Cafe…if it’s busy, it’s too much like a high school cafeteria (not the food, the ambiance).

Waves Gril:  as someone else mentioned, the surf & turf sandwich (i have them ‘hold the bun’).  Burgers are also good and the grilled tuna.  You’re also right next to the ice cream/smoothie bar!

GDR:  I love the lobster bisque; other soups are usually good, too.  Mussels with lemongrass.  Lobster pad Thai (is it authentic?  No…but it’s good!).  The souffle of the day for dessert.  The schnitzel is surprisingly good; also the rolled up chicken (forgot the name of it).  For breakfast, lots of choices, eggs Benedict (I order with regular bacon instead of Canadian) or a poached egg on avocado toast.

Polo Grill:  Lobster bisque. the Maine lobster (removed from shell); the filet, the prime rib, the lamb chops.  I’ve had good luck with all of them.  The escargot or oysters Rockefeller appetizers.  The marshmallows for dessert (or the creme brulee)

Toscana:  the risotto is delicious.  Osso Bucco if you like that (I don’t, but friends love it).
the spinach salad.  Veal with mushroom sauce.  Beef filet with Gorgonzola. Rack of lamb (yum!!).  The lobster tail or the branzino.  My sister always orders the Dover sole which they filet at the table.

Red Ginger (if your ship has that restaurant):  the miso-glaze sea bass.  Skip the beef rendang, it’s not authentic and more like pot roast.

I’ve cruised with friends, relatives and (just) my hubby.  We all finds tons of things we like to eat on board.  My niece is vegetarian and she found plenty that she liked.  

I don’t have any other cruise lines to compare to, other than Regent and that was my first cruise and I was not impressed with the food.  Oceania opened my eyes (we’ve been on Regatta, Insignia, Sirena and soon on Marina).  My best advice, if you don’t care for what they bring you, ask for something else!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 10:12 AM, pinotlover said:

Trivia might be fun if they block out all internet services in the Lounge and disallow the use of all portable electronic equipment. 

We stopped playing years ago, because we were playing for fun. We could never compete with those blatantly cheating for big O points! 

+1

I love trivia but I don't play it on Oceania. The intensity and competiveness of it doesn't make it fun at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's odd, on Riviera we stopped in for a game of musical trivia with the piano player and it was slow and fun.  I assume regular trivia is much more competitive.

• Like 1

Just now, sunlover12 said:

@Woofa  Yes, the musical trivia in Martinis is fun.  The trivia in the lounge is the one I avoid.

We sit in the back of regular trivia and see if we can answer any.....no pressure and have learned a lot...amazing how many groups of animals we now can name!!  As our favorite CD likes to say - calm down folks, you are only playing for a key chain!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 6/27/2023 at 5:12 AM, pinotlover said:

We have had two different CD’s on our ATW cruise, and both (with humour), emphasise that using electronic devices will not be tolerated.

So far, it has not been a problem, and all of the players (as many as 21 teams of up to 8!), seem to really enjoy it…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 12:12 PM, basor said:

We sit in the back of regular trivia and see if we can answer any.....no pressure and have learned a lot...amazing how many groups of animals we now can name!!  As our favorite CD likes to say - calm down folks, you are only playing for a key chain!

On our first cruise (Celebrity Galaxy April 2000) we played daily (14 day cruise) and won every item they had. Key Ring? Check. Visor? Yep. Water wallet, note pad, lanyards, tee shirts, a gazillion pens? Yes, yes, and yes. Finally, on the last night I brought all the stuff to give back (we play for the honor and the glory, not the prizes) and one of the entertainment staff looked it over, and said, "I have a prize you don't seem to have--I'll trade you all that stuff for it. and he brought out the Celebrity travel alarm clock! Which, back then, was a handy thing to have. 

• Thanks 1