Travelling Solo

emmas gran

Hi I was widowed earlier this year and it was my husband’s wish that I continue to travel.

I have found an excellent deal on Silver Nova for a cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver, the travel agent in UK has also quoted for Business flights both ways.

I am apprehensive about a new cruise line to me , sailed Celebrity many times and have a B2B2B on Edge late October with Australian friends.

Will I feel out of place are there many solos on Silverseas?? Honest opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by emmas gran
Spelling

You will have a wonderful time.   There are singles meet ups each evening before dinner, there are often gentlemen hosts who look after the singles, go to trivia so you can meet up with people there, its a great way to make new friends.   Just relax and enjoy it, your butler will do everything he can to make you feel at home.   There are usually quite a few singles.   What a great itinerary you have chosen too.  I applaud you for stepping up and doing this I am sure you wont regret it.

• Like 1

First of all, please accept my condolences for your loss.  Second, please do what your husband wanted you to do:  continue to travel and enjoy all that this world offers.

You will be fine aboard the ship.  It takes a little bit of effort to get out and meet people, but there are lots of couples and groups who will be more than happy to have you join them.  Go to the Meet Ups and the activities.   Go to a bar and sit next to a couple and just start chatting them up.  Talk to the restaurant manager about whether there might be a table with some folks that you could sit at.

Lastly, you might want to consider if there is a family member, or a friend, that could become a travel companion for you. 

• Like 2

Silversea is very good at caring for solos.  I remember (before Covid) a staff member named Ana, who was responsible for coordinating solo activities and joint tables.  My DH and I met her because she was also the international passengers' coordinator.  She was excellent at both jobs!  Through her, we met solos and enjoyed them at our table for dinners.   Because we met a good number of solos, we know that they were very pleased and enjoying their cruises.  

• Like 1

Hi, my condolences go out to you as well.  I have always sailed solo and as others have stated, SS does an excellent job with how we are treated. There is never any pressure but the option for drinks before dinner is always there.  And yes, they make the effort of having singles/solos dine together. You will always be welcomed.  Over the course of my sailings, I have  frequently found other guests very friendly, whether they are married, divorced, etc....etc.....marital status is really not important to me.

The vibe on board has always been welcoming😃

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

I just sailed on the Silver Dawn as a solo as I lost my husband less than a year ago.  There is a gathering before dinner and we could either join others for dinner or go it on our own.  We had around 13 in our regular group and met up on excursions and other activities.  Go for it!

• Like 1

I am in the same situation as you for over two years now and have since done 5 cruises with Silversea, whom I knew already from earlier cruises with my husband. And I have to say, they are especially good to their solos while in no way forcing you into any group things. Just a daily get together before dinner, at the beginning usually hosted by the international guest relation people. You take it from there and decide how much you like to get involved depending on mutual interests.

We always had much fun, in fact on the Australia cruise so much fun that more and more couples joined, so our farewell dinner was for 26 people.

You will also find that there are many couples on board quite willing to take you under their wings for dinner or an excursion, you will meet the most interesting people that way. Just do it, you won‘t regret it.

• Like 1

Please accept my condolences for your loss.  You are wise to continue cruising.  It's a safe and social way to see the world.  I've been on about 100 cruises since my husband died.  Most were solo.  Several comments on this thread have given good advice.    

• Like 1

I was on the Silver Dawn with some American friends in April.Am now booked "solo" on the Nova trip you are considering (also a Brit 🙂

Have you had a chance to look at some of the "included" tours ?

Cost wise for a solo balcony stateroom on lovely Silversea.......................a bargain !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mandymay said:

I was on the Silver Dawn with some American friends in April.Am now booked "solo" on the Nova trip you are considering (also a Brit 🙂

Have you had a chance to look at some of the "included" tours ?

Cost wise for a solo balcony stateroom on lovely Silversea.......................a bargain !

It looks like we are going, the deal is unbeatable for deluxe balcony and business flights for me. Just have to sort out final details with the travel agent tomorrow 😀👏

• Like 3

Hi I'm back again

Regarding flights as I said I booked Bus class out to Miami and back to LHR from Vancouver. Don't have a problem with outbound it's the return on Iceland Air via Reykjavik. I was hoping for a decent overnight flight but this is just a recliner seat and looking at Expedia is is a cheap price!!

What are my chances of getting a better flight can anyone give suggestion please before I get back to the TA

Thanks

Dunno if it’d be any better, but you could look at Alaska Air for a quick hop to Seattle (SEA) and then see what your SEA-LHR options are.

Maybe overnight at SEA if necessary, especially if the flights are on separate bookings. 

• Like 1

I can't help you much with the flight options other than to say that a lay-flat seat is a must for me when flying overnight to Europe.  

I would definitely talk to the TA and make sure he/she understands that that is a requirement for you.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I can't help you much with the flight options other than to say that a lay-flat seat is a must for me when flying overnight to Europe.  

I would definitely talk to the TA and make sure he/she understands that that is a requirement for you.

Since I posted earlier the agent has been in touch and said he didn't think I would like the flights so he is on to SS flights. Totally agree lie flat a must for flight overnight and will let you know how it goes, very excited about the cruise though

All change I'm being asked to pay over £2k more to fly Air Canada direct Vancouver to LHR, so decided doing cruise only and flying Virgin Altantic will get a flight from Vancouver to LAX and fly home the next day saves me £1500 less hotels and flight to LA

Edited by emmas gran
  • Like 1