Pickpockets in Barcelona

I've read many times that Barcelona is notorious for pickpockets especially at Las Ramblas. I've visited Barcelona many times, walked Las Ramblas every time and never been the victim of theft. Maybe I'm cautious, lucky or possibly both. I always keep my wallet in a pocket that zips closed, the Mrs always keeps her handbag zipped closed. Crime happens in all major cities across the world, reduce your risk of being targeted by taking sensible precautions and go and enjoy Barcelona, one of the greatest cities in Europe.

• Like 4

We have visited several times and it is a  Beautiful city.  But we have seen many stolen bags dumped and many people on our ship had their passports stolen and valuable jewellery.   So don’t wear anything expensive, use a money belt under your clothes for valuables and you’ll be fine. 

• Like 2

Should you be concerned about pickpockets?  Absolutely!  It is an issue for just about any travel (except in Japan) and folks are well advised to ALWAYS take some basic precautions.  I simply carry my wallet in a front pocket which I secure with a large safety pin.  I also keep a thick rubber band wrapped around my wallet, which is a simple way to make it more difficult to slide out of a pocket.  DW carries her purse cross shoulders and uses a safety pin to secure the zippers (preventing someone from easily sliding open a zipper and removing contents).

One warning for ladies.  Do not put your purse down when you are in a potentially vulnerable place such as an outdoor restaurant.  We once saw a lady put her purse under her seat at an outdoor cafe and it was only seconds until a man helped himself to that purse (the lady did not even notice).

Hank

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:03 AM, smileycruiser2007 said:

I am very concerned about pickpockets there.

firstly, the common sense that you would apply in any large city.

Leave all jewellery and valuables on the ship, including ear rings and watches.

Leave passport on the ship and carry a copy. 

Carry only one credit card and as little cash as you think you might need (you will have one credit card for other purchases)

Keep a tight hold of cameras, smart phones etc and never leave them on a table top or on the ground next to your feet.

Secure wallets, purses etc with an additional pin, wear cross body or in front not back, and ensure any zips cannot be easily opened.

Be aware of those standing close to you.

And importantly, before leaving home, I suggest that you familiarise yoursef with some of the commonly used "distraction techniques" used by thieves so that you are immediately  aware should anyone try any of them on you.

Simply Google something like "Tourist scams in Barcelona".

Barcelona  is an amazing city, so please don't let a fear of being pickpocketed spoil your enjoyment.

• Like 3

the problem with Barcelona and its reputation for pickpocketing is that it is treated as a minor crime with a fine around £200

so basically prosecuted pickpockets can make back cost of fine pretty quickly!

lots of distraction techniques but invest in a travel bag with secure zips and enjoy the beautiful city

I have just been reading up about how pickpocketing is viewed in the law in different countries.  I didn’t realise the difference.  I certainly did not realise that in Britain it was once punished by hanging.  

For sure prevention is certainly the best way.  I recall one time in the BCN metro that I was probably being targetted.  It might have just been begging.  We had arrived by train, clever me thought that we could get to our hotel by the metro.  We could but it required taking our luggage via steps and long corridors.  Not sure why but DH and I were looking at different ticket machines.  Possibly we were each buying our own ticket ????    A middle aged man came up to me to give me information about how to buy a ticket.  I may speak to my DH in English but I can read Spanish and did not need help.  I recall being confused like ‘why is he telling me this’ because I could see that he was not an employee.  We got rid of him, but I felt rude in doing so, after all he may just have been a helpful bystander.  To this day I wonder what his motivation was.  

Having had my purse stolen in the Malaga taxi on the way to catch a cruise, I am wary.   I was so lucky that my passport was not in the bag that was stolen because for sure we would have lost the cruise.    

This makes me think that when people are asking for advice about getting to their hotel, lugging cases should not be only a consideration from a weight point of view.  Using taxis while you have luggage and orientation of the city to work out may be a sensible way of reducing vulnerability to thieves.   

• Like 2

There was a whole article in our newspaper today regarding Barcelona.  Apparently, their latest scam is spitting on you.  Somebody tries to help you get cleaned up while the accomplice steals your stuff.

The worst is in the metro system.

It also claims to be " a popular hunting gtound for prfessional watch theives"

I have personally seen picpockets at work, but this is a new one.

• Like 1

Once we were in front of the Barcelona Cathedral and a woman got a little close to me.  DW walked between us and the woman turned around and said to us in English "I am not going to rob you"

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 10:03 AM, smileycruiser2007 said:

I will be in Barcelona in November for a transatlantic cruise. I am very concerned about pickpockets there. Does anyone have any experience with this?

We just got off the boat a few days ago. Parents of our friends on the same ship had their passports and money stolen at the airport. They had everything in a folder in a zipped bag. Make sure you separate your stuff and be very careful 

• Like 1

I did not feel uneasy at all during our five days roaming Barcelona. I carry nothing of value with me but a credit card-crossbody pouch (on my chest) with card secured in interior zipper pocket.  Even if that were stolen, I can cancel it immediately from my phone. If my phone were to be stolen that would be a problem, but it too is zipped in. 

However, one night, about 4 months after our return, we were notified by our bank that our CC # was being used in the Dominican Republic. We determined that the information was taken as a result of trying to withdraw money from an ATM in Barcelona. 

So there’s that!  

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 4:12 AM, jlovely said:

Nothing worse than the pickpockets all around Italy and Greece. Just be smart, use a crossbody in front of you, don't leave your bag on the back of a chair or on the floor, etc, etc. 

Being smart - so important.  

About ten years ago on the BCN metro system I noted how the local women were sitting with bags held tightly on their laps.  The train was not really that busy, they were clearly just used to it.  

I hope that we all stay safe, but do not let these stories of thieves take away the joy of travelling. 

Edited by ollienbertsmum
I was repeating myself
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Friends of mine had their camera stolen off a cafe table.  Someone came by in the pretense of selling tickets to see Flamenco dancing.  Slapped an open brochure on the table, over the camera, and when removing the brochure the camera was lifted, too.  One time in Lisbon my husband had put his camera down on the table there, too, but the waiter warned him not to leave anything visible on the table.  Another time my backpack was unzipped and someone notified me that it was open.  Nothing was taken as all my valuables were in my crossbody purse in front of me.  Apparently the thief was not interested in my paper back book!  I had mechanism to secure my backpack but had gotten lazy.  Never let your guard down.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:01 PM, erby2283 said:

That looks perfect for dh. Since it’s currently 40% off we went ahead and ordered. 

I have a crossbody Travelon RGID bag too, but very different than yours. Same idea though. 

• Like 1

It's good that this topic resurfaces from time to time to remind travelers to take care. Many have a tendency to relax (being on vacation) and forget the usual cautions about keeping belongings safe ashore.

I've been reading these boards since 2005 and always take particular note of pickpocketing, as I was pickpocketed myself on an early land-trip to Barcelona. I cannot emphasize enough that these professional pickpockets (and not just in Barcelona) are both skilled and clever.  Unlike @John Bull 's belief, I suspect many Americans are not used to this particular type of crime. In the US you are more apt to fall victim to a knife- or gun-wielding mugger. The subtle art of pickpocketing is less practiced (but still exists in some larger cities). You won't lose your life, but you can certainly lose your wallet, phone, camera or passport.

In all these years of reading here and on other travel forums, it seems clear to me that the three cardinal rules are:

1)  Leave anything you do not absolutely need for the day on the ship. Or in your hotel room if staying ashore. This includes extra cash, any credit cards you brought as backup, expensive jewelry, and (in most ports) your passport. 

2) Secure whatever valuables you DO need to bring. I have read of pick-pocketers getting at wallets in front pockets, in zipped pockets, in cargo-shorts buttoned pockets, and in zipped bags and backpacks. The most secure way to carry cash, passport or credit cards is in a money belt (goes under your clothes, not above), neck pouch worn under your shirt, or similar. I have a zipped travel "pocket" with a loop that can be worn on a belt and flipped inside the waistband. Often I am not wearing a belt, so I just pin the loop inside the top of my pants or skirt. On days where I do not have to carry my passport, I will sometimes PIN the pocket inside a ZIPPERED compartment inside my ZIPPERED cross-body bag as an alternative that is somewhat easier to access. It is second nature by now for me to then never take that bag off, even when eating, and if I am walking in crowds or on public transportation, my hand is gently resting on the zipper of the bag.

3) Be situationally aware. Up your "street smarts" by becoming aware of where pickpockets are most likely to strike -- this includes anywhere crowded, where people may jostle and bump into you. Las Ramblas is a prime example, but it could just as easily be Trevi Fountain in Rome or the metro in Paris. Be aware while entering or exiting public transportation (and while riding it). Be wary of anyone offering help, e.g., helping to clean "bird poop" or anything off your clothes, offers to help you navigate a train station, children (or adults) asking for money and crowding round you, and so on. Groups often work together: one will attempt to distract you (e.g., by selling you a flower or a cheap souvenir) while another one picks your pocket. Another scam is the "petition" -- there's no reason for you to sign any petition for action in a foreign country!

I realize this all might sound alarming, but if you take precautions as per above and maintain focus, you have every chance of avoiding the misfortune of having to report your theft to the local constabulary or call all your credit card companies. (Or worst case, figure out how to get a new passport in a foreign country.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@cruisemom42 good advice as it can and does happen to anyone.   Our ship actually brought on a pickpocket expert and did it on the main stage.  He was able to take watches, belts, and even eyeglasses!  They are pros.  

Our hotel in Barcelona gave us a list of the current scams. 

DH fell victim in Sicily but he wouldn’t let go of the pickpocket and even got his throwaway back.  We carry a throwaway wallet with about 20 euros for easy access and everything else under our clothes in moneybelts.   DH loves the one that attaches to a belt.  There also the old bra stash of cash and credit 😂🤷‍♀️😉

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's good that this topic resurfaces from time to time to remind travelers to take care. Many have a tendency to relax (being on vacation) and forget the usual cautions about keeping belongings safe ashore.

I've been reading these boards since 2005 and always take particular note of pickpocketing, as I was pickpocketed myself on an early land-trip to Barcelona. I cannot emphasize enough that these professional pickpockets (and not just in Barcelona) are both skilled and clever.  Unlike @John Bull 's belief, I suspect many Americans are not used to this particular type of crime. In the US you are more apt to fall victim to a knife- or gun-wielding mugger. The subtle art of pickpocketing is less practiced (but still exists in some larger cities). You won't lose your life, but you can certainly lose your wallet, phone, camera or passport.

In all these years of reading here and on other travel forums, it seems clear to me that the three cardinal rules are:

1)  Leave anything you do not absolutely need for the day on the ship. Or in your hotel room if staying ashore. This includes extra cash, any credit cards you brought as backup, expensive jewelry, and (in most ports) your passport. 

2) Secure whatever valuables you DO need to bring. I have read of pick-pocketers getting at wallets in front pockets, in zipped pockets, in cargo-shorts buttoned pockets, and in zipped bags and backpacks. The most secure way to carry cash, passport or credit cards is in a money belt (goes under your clothes, not above), neck pouch worn under your shirt, or similar. I have a zipped travel "pocket" with a loop that can be worn on a belt and flipped inside the waistband. Often I am not wearing a belt, so I just pin the loop inside the top of my pants or skirt. On days where I do not have to carry my passport, I will sometimes PIN the pocket inside a ZIPPERED compartment inside my ZIPPERED cross-body bag as an alternative that is somewhat easier to access. It is second nature by now for me to then never take that bag off, even when eating, and if I am walking in crowds or on public transportation, my hand is gently resting on the zipper of the bag.

3) Be situationally aware. Up your "street smarts" by becoming aware of where pickpockets are most likely to strike -- this includes anywhere crowded, where people may jostle and bump into you. Las Ramblas is a prime example, but it could just as easily be Trevi Fountain in Rome or the metro in Paris. Be aware while entering or exiting public transportation (and while riding it). Be wary of anyone offering help, e.g., helping to clean "bird poop" or anything off your clothes, offers to help you navigate a train station, children (or adults) asking for money and crowding round you, and so on. Groups often work together: one will attempt to distract you (e.g., by selling you a flower or a cheap souvenir) while another one picks your pocket. Another scam is the "petition" -- there's no reason for you to sign any petition for action in a foreign country!

I realize this all might sound alarming, but if you take precautions as per above and maintain focus, you have every chance of avoiding the misfortune of having to report your theft to the local constabulary or call all your credit card companies. (Or worst case, figure out how to get a new passport in a foreign country.)

As a former Consular Officer and retired law enforcement couldn’t have said it better 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1