Unlimited Specialty Dining

I realize that this will probably vary from cruise to cruise, but I’m wondering how difficult it is to make speciality dining reservations when purchasing the unlimited speciality dining offer.   We generally like to eat early around 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. and I’m just wondering if since you can’t make the reservations until your on the ship, if those time slots will already be taken and if only later times will be available.   I’m just wondering about experiences about using the unlimited dining package.    

We never have a problem. Cruise planner makes the complimentary reservation for night 1, and you select a time slot for that. Then once onboard, go to any restaurant and give them your schedule for the week. They may adjust your preferred time by :15-:30 minutes in either direction to accommodate you in their computer, but they'll assure you that you can just show up at your time.

That being said, I'm assuming your party is 2-4 people..maybe larger group would want to email dining prior, but otherwise just check in onboard and they'll hook you up. 

• Like 1

TIP:

Have spreadsheet or document printed out with preferences for days and times and restaurants to just give to the person at the kiosk/table taking reservations or at any of the opening specialty dining spots open on embarkation.  You should have alternatives if your preference is taken, but just keep those handy.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 4

We never had a problem, but we dine early typically by 6:00.  Sometimes we might move a restaurant to another day but we are flexible.  As said previously, go to a kiosk or specialty restaurant to make your reservations as soon as you board.  Enjoy

• Like 1

Recently, the only reservation that we have had difficulty with is Chops on night #2.  Typically, night #2 is the first formal night (depending upon the itinerary, of course) and I guess people want to go to Chops on formal night....so the last 2 times we have tried to have Chops on night #2, we have had to make a different choice b/c it was already booked by the time we made our reservations.  But that isn't a problem....we just picked a different restaurant for night #2 and went to Chops some other time.

We are also early eaters and prefer 5:30-6:00 but sometimes you just have to be flexible !  We have been doing a 3 night dining package and winging it the other nights.  Typically we go to the MDR at 6:30-6:45 (depending upon availability) and have never had a problem being seated.  Flexibility is your friend !

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the great information.   I've decided to purchase the unlimited specialty dining package and will make a list and make sure we make our reservations right away on embarkation. 

Thanks again!     

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Make your list BUT be flexible. I had to change a couple of reservations for availability. The only requirement I had was that I did not go to the same restaurant for lunch and dinner.

ENJOY

m

Yes, will definitely keep an open mind as far as times and restaurants.   I originally thought we'd be eating only at steakhouse and the Italian restaurant, but looked at the menus again, and we're really open to all of the specialty dining.