Single dad here sailing with my 2 sons, and just saw a great sale on Celebrity Equinox, but very limited choices left. I have

CruiseMsclDad

Hi Mitch here!

Single dad here sailing with my 2 sons, and just saw a great sale on Celebrity Equinox, but very limited choices left. I have some questions:

Cabin Selection: I am trying to understand the differences.

Category V2 Veranda Stateroom
Category DV Deluxe Veranda Stateroom
Category C2 Concierge Class Stateroom
Category SC Sunset Concierge Class Stateroom

It appears that these are all the same in size and layout. The Concierge Class is about $100 more, is this worth it?  There are no Aqua Class available.

They are offering for $524 Classic Beverage Package, Pre-Paid Gratuities, and a Basic WiFi Package., on all cabins, is this worth it? Or is it better to book these separate.

We are all gym rats, how late does the gym stay open until? How late do the pools stay open?

Here is the itinerary, anything you would recommend?

Georgetown (Grand Cayman), Cayman Islands, Cozumel, Mexico, Bimini Islands, Bahamas

Thank you for your help, and please and for any other info that might help me.

21 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

Hi Mitch here!

Single dad here sailing with my 2 sons, and just saw a great sale on Celebrity Equinox, but very limited choices left. I have some questions:

Cabin Selection: I am trying to understand the differences.

It appears that these are all the same in size and layout. The Concierge Class is about $100 more, is this worth it?  There are no Aqua Class available.

They are offering for $524 Classic Beverage Package, Pre-Paid Gratuities, and a Basic WiFi Package., on all cabins, is this worth it? Or is it better to book these separate.

We are all gym rats, how late does the gym stay open until? How late do the pools stay open?

Here is the itinerary, anything you would recommend?

Georgetown (Grand Cayman), Cayman Islands, Cozumel, Mexico, Bimini Islands, Bahamas

Thank you for your help, and please and for any other info that might help me.

The extra perks that you pick up for Concierge Class is very minimal.  However many times the better located cabins will carry the Concierge Class tag and so to me this is the biggest reason to go for Concierge Class.  Also if the difference is only $100 for all of you for the entire cruise, it would be worth it if you are booking Concierge Class for the small perks..  Concierge Class gets you a nicer venue for the embarkation lunch and a points escalator in your loyalty club point total.  Also it increases your chances in getting an invitation to the heli-pad to enjoy the sail away at a port.

As far as whether to spend the extra $524, there are several things to consider:

1. you should be able to calculate the total for what these things would cost ala carte although you cannot buy the cheaper basic wi-fi separately.  This will help you decide if it makes economical sense to pay extra for the bundle.  Note that if you belong to the Captains Club (loyalty club), you do get a small discount if you buy wi-fi and a drink package.  So keep this in mind when you add up the cost of buying these things separately.  

2. Getting the bundled items as part of your cruise fare (aka "Always Included" fare vs "Cruise Only" requires that you pay for the Always Included fare for all occupants in the cabin.  You may not be interested in paying for a alcohol package for your kids depending on their age.

Cayman Islands and Cozumel are world class scuba diving locations.  If you don't dive, I would consider booking a snorkeling shorex at one of these two places.

How old are your kids? And are you planning to book one single cabin for all of you?  It would also be helpful if you tell us which sailing date on Equinox you are looking at.

Good luck.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the SC category is what was previously termed a SV (Sunset Verandah), I would grab that in a heartbeat.  I recently sailed in a SV (deck 8 on the Equinox in February.  The views cannot be beat.   

Edited by lola2013
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

You are correct the interior of all these cabins are exactly the same.  The difference is going to be location.

V2 is going to be a standard balcony cabin on a lower deck.

DV is on lower decks and has a larger angled balcony.   Most of these are mid ship which are more desirable,  the ones forward are slightly less.

C2 is going to be on higher decks probably in about the same locations as V2

SC is on the higher decks with an aft facing view of the wake.

My preferences would be the DV or SC cabins.

Edit:  If you provide the sailing date we can probably give better advise based on the cabin availability.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Thanks 1

Veranda vs deluxe is just about more “desirable” locations on the ship. I have never done concierge but to me the benefits have never really seemed worth it. When it comes to the all inclusive, it is worth it because if you price it out it individually it is more expensive.

Concierge class cabins are located in more desirable (higher deck or aft) locations. The sunset cabins face the aft, so great view but the balconies are totally open, no covering roof at all. If you are OK with a lower deck and don't want to pay extra for the aft facing cabins, just stay with the lower deck  balcony cabins and save the money.  The gym usually opens at 6AM and usually closes at 11 PM. 

18 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The extra perks that you pick up for Concierge Class is very minimal.  However many times the better located cabins will carry the Concierge Class tag and so to me this is the biggest reason to go for Concierge Class.  Also if the difference is only $100 for all of you for the entire cruise, it would be worth it if you are booking Concierge Class for the small perks..  Concierge Class gets you a nicer venue for the embarkation lunch and a points escalator in your loyalty club point total.  Also it increases your chances in getting an invitation to the heli-pad to enjoy the sail away at a port.

As far as whether to spend the extra $524, there are several things to consider:

1. you should be able to calculate the total for what these things would cost ala carte although you cannot buy the cheaper basic wi-fi separately.  This will help you decide if it makes economical sense to pay extra for the bundle.  Note that if you belong to the Captains Club (loyalty club), you do get a small discount if you buy wi-fi and a drink package.  So keep this in mind when you add up the cost of buying these things separately.  

2. Getting the bundled items as part of your cruise fare (aka "Always Included" fare vs "Cruise Only" requires that you pay for the Always Included fare for all occupants in the cabin.  You may not be interested in paying for a alcohol package for your kids depending on their age.

Cayman Islands and Cozumel are world class scuba diving locations.  If you don't dive, I would consider booking a snorkeling shorex at one of these two places.

How old are your kids? And are you planning to book one single cabin for all of you?  It would also be helpful if you tell us which sailing date on Equinox you are looking at.

Good luck.

thank you so much for your info! September 10, 2023 My sons are 7 & 14. And yes would prefer single cabin but my oldest really wants one of his own so its a toss up for now. Can you give me any details on Basic wifi and basic drink packages?

1 minute ago, hrhdhd said:

The gym has a minimum age requirement, which might be waived if a parent is with the children. You might want to check that before booking.

Defiantly, I will ask. My sons have been in gymnastics since they were 3 and my oldest is like his dad becoming addicted to lifting, but you are correct best to ask first! Thank you, Mitch 

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

In order for your 14-year-old son to have a room of his own, you would need two adjacent rooms. And keep in mind that you would be paying double for that room.

I knew from other cruises there would be an age requirement, thank you for pointing that out. I am still on on the fence about it.
Thanks Mitch

16 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

thank you so much for your info! September 10, 2023 My sons are 7 & 14. And yes would prefer single cabin but my oldest really wants one of his own so its a toss up for now. Can you give me any details on Basic wifi and basic drink packages?

Here are some very recently published FAQs on wi-fi.  Celebrity is discontinuing the selling of basic wi-fi as a separate item.  They will only sell it as part of the Always Included cruise fare package.  The flyer discusses the difference between basic and premium.  See FAQ #13: link.  One thing to note is that you can all share a single wi-fi package--as long as one of you uses it at a time. Also the Celebrity app will allow you to exchange text messages with your sons while on board without the need for a wi-fi package.  The only drawback is that when you receive a text, there is no visual, haptic, nor audible annunciation--you just have to keep checking your app.

Here is a Celebrity flyer regarding drink packages which you may find helpful: link.  I don't drink much so I cannot give you any personal insight.  Note that there is a Zero Proof drink package (mentioned in the FAQs) that would be suitable for your kids although they may have to suck down a lot of drinks to make it worth while.

Celebrity's kids club is very good.  In general a 7 year old will really enjoy it.  It is possible that your 14 year old will be bored by it.  Here is Celebrity's flyer on their kids club (aka Camp at Sea): link

Edited by mahdnc

41 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

If the SC category is what was previously termed a SV (Sunset Verandah), I would grab that in a heartbeat.  I recently sailed in a SV (deck 8 on the Equinox in February.  The views cannot be beat.   

We really do like the calm of staring at the ships wake, and I do find aft cabins quieter in general.
Thank you,
Mitch

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Here are some very recently published FAQs on wi-fi.  Celebrity is discontinuing the selling of basic wi-fi as a separate item.  They will only sell it as part of the Always Included cruise fare package.  The flyer discusses the difference between basic and premium.  See FAQ #13: link.  One thing to note is that you can all share a single wi-fi package--as long as one of you uses it at a time. Also the Celebrity app will allow you to exchange text messages with your sons while on board without the need for a wi-fi package.  The only drawback is that when you receive a text, there is no visual, haptic, nor audible annunciation--you just have to keep checking your app.

Here is a Celebrity flyer regarding drink packages which you may find helpful: link.  I don't drink much so I cannot give you any personal insight.  Note that there is a Zero Proof drink package (mentioned in the FAQs) that would be suitable for your kids although they may have to suck down a lot of drinks to make it worth while.

Celebrity's kids club is very good.  In general a 7 year old will really enjoy it.  It is possible that your 14 year old will be bored by it.

Thank you so much for the info! My kids have been off the hard liqueur for a couple of years now 🙂 No seriously I never drink at all when I am on vacation with them, with MY sons I have to have all senses super sharp! So it would be just soft drinks and juices.

Generally I will be using the wifi to make calls, pay bills and some work emails, no streamimg stuff. Would basic wifi be ok for these tasks?

Thank you,
Mitch

4 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

Thank you so much for the info! My kids have been off the hard liqueur for a couple of years now 🙂 No seriously I never drink at all when I am on vacation with them, with MY sons I have to have all senses super sharp! So it would be just soft drinks and juices.

Generally I will be using the wifi to make calls, pay bills and some work emails, no streamimg stuff. Would basic wifi be ok for these tasks?

Thank you,
Mitch

Not sure about calls (I assume voice-only) but basic wifi is fine for email and general internet browsing, especially if your ship has Starlink onboard.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

He is massive for his age, but rules are rules! Thank you,
Mitch

I don't think I have ever seen any kid under 10 use any cruiseship gym. So it's going to be a hard no for your younger son. When I do see young kids that age with their parents touring the facilities they are usually playing around on the equipment in an unsafe manner and I'm gritting my teeth just waiting for someone to get hurt. (BTW No implication your son does this)

On the S-Class ships gym hours are 6-10. The spa/gym locker room will have a complementary sauna. 

Edited by kwokpot

13 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

He is massive for his age, but rules are rules! Thank you,
Mitch

My son is also a gymnast and has been allowed in the gym as long as a parent is present.  If your 14 year old looks older, he will probably be ok. They will not let your 7 year old in.  Ultimately, it is up to the person who is in charge of the gym. We also took a "note" from my son's coach saying he was in training for junior Olympics.  We were also on a longer cruise so missing 2 weeks of gymnastics was a big deal.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

No seriously I never drink at all when I am on vacation with them, with MY sons I have to have all senses super sharp! So it would be just soft drinks and juices.

Strike what I said before. If you don’t drink then a zero proof package could make sense but definitely not the all inclusive add on.

15 minutes ago, Coarsegold_Mom said:

My son is also a gymnast and has been allowed in the gym as long as a parent is present.  If your 14 year old looks older, he will probably be ok. They will not let your 7 year old in.  Ultimately, it is up to the person who is in charge of the gym. We also took a "note" from my son's coach saying he was in training for junior Olympics.  We were also on a longer cruise so missing 2 weeks of gymnastics was a big deal.

Body wise, he is massive, he  easily could pass for 18/19, until he opens his mouth 🙂 But thank you for the tip, I can ask for a note from his wrestling coach, that is an awesome idea!

Thank you Mitch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

Strike what I said before. If you don’t drink then a zero proof package could make sense but definitely not the all inclusive add on.

I am starting to see where i can save a few bucks, thank you. I agree with you 100%

Thank you Mitch