Max amount of drinks.

kasowell2

I’ve only cruised Princess once before and have another one scheduled for September. I was just reading a Carnival Facebook page where the discussion was about 15 drinks per day. The part I didn’t know was they were stating after reaching the 15 alcoholic drinks per day with the package you can’t even purchase an alcoholic drink. So my question is does Princess follow this same policy? In case you’re worried about my liver I wouldn’t drink more than 15 but just wondering about the ability to have a drink after 15 especially if for some reason I consumed 15 by late afternoon and ten wanted a nightcap.

10 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

I’ve only cruised Princess once before and have another one scheduled for September. I was just reading a Carnival Facebook page where the discussion was about 15 drinks per day. The part I didn’t know was they were stating after reaching the 15 alcoholic drinks per day with the package you can’t even purchase an alcoholic drink. So my question is does Princess follow this same policy? In case you’re worried about my liver I wouldn’t drink more than 15 but just wondering about the ability to have a drink after 15 especially if for some reason I consumed 15 by late afternoon and ten wanted a nightcap.

The Plus and Premier beverage packages have a 15 alcoholic drink cap per 24 hour period, 6am-6am.

You can purchase more drinks at full price after hitting your 15 at the bartender's discretion.. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

The Plus and Premier beverage packages have a 15 alcoholic drink cap per 24 hour period, 6am-6am.

You can purchase more drinks at full price after hitting your 15 at the bartender's discretion.. 

I knew the package numbers but had not heard about only 15 per day weather package or purchasing. Some comments were reaching 15 early in the 24 hour period and then being cut off no matter what time of day.

If there are two of you in the cabin the total is effectively combined - I usually order the drinks so it looks like DH is teetotal and I'm alcoholic. We enjoy wine a lot when we cruise and even with doubles from Vines have yet to hit our limit though we may have come close once or twice.

10 hours ago, Catchum said:

If there are two of you in the cabin the total is effectively combined - I usually order the drinks so it looks like DH is teetotal and I'm alcoholic. We enjoy wine a lot when we cruise and even with doubles from Vines have yet to hit our limit though we may have come close once or twice.

This is true in theory, and fine as long as you manage it, but I've found you have to be careful, especially ordering through the app where it's more efficient to put in both orders on one phone.  If you too heavily rely on one person's phone/account to put in orders, you could end up paying for those drinks over 15 even though in reality you're still well under the 30 for both. It definitely calculates charges on a person by person basis, not cabin. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Catchum said:

We each average 10 drinks or so each. The few times one of us has gone over they will let us pay since we never seen intoxicated 

28 minutes ago, Ace_Caliente said:

If both people in the cabin have plus and then one gets charged for lets say 5 out of 20 drinks for the day (since you were using the app from one device) I doubt you'd have a hard time at guest services reversing the charge.

I don’t why anyone would deliberately do that but some seem to say they. We make sure to tell them to charge one each person. Otherwise we would no make it through dinner

I am new to this medallion drink order.  Can't I just walk upto a bar, with my traveling partner and each order a drink and tell the bar tender separate tabs?  I can see us each doing maybe 8-10 drinks a day, but that would be an individual total.  would be weird of they say only 15 between the two of you.

11 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I am new to this medallion drink order.  Can't I just walk upto a bar, with my traveling partner and each order a drink and tell the bar tender separate tabs?  I can see us each doing maybe 8-10 drinks a day, but that would be an individual total.  would be weird of they say only 15 between the two of you.

This is what exactly we do yes you both get up to -5 drinks per day. Just ask them to put one on each account easy peasy

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 6:06 PM, Ace_Caliente said:

If both people in the cabin have plus and then one gets charged for lets say 5 out of 20 drinks for the day (since you were using the app from one device) I doubt you'd have a hard time at guest services reversing the charge.

This happened to us. My husband ordered a lot of our drinks.   One day they charged them all to his account.  They let him order more than 15 drinks, but they charged $15+/- to his account for his 16th drink.  A quick visit to guest services and the charge was removed.  

We have been on ships where we have been at a lounge in the evening and have seen servers refuse to serve after the 15 drink limit. They definitely would not allow the passengers to purchase when they tried that angle.

On 6/29/2023 at 10:57 PM, kasowell2 said:

I knew the package numbers but had not heard about only 15 per day weather package or purchasing. Some comments were reaching 15 early in the 24 hour period and then being cut off no matter what time of day.

Lawyers. Policies are in place. Bartender can see on the system how many drinks you have had. Even if you appear completely sober, if bartender serves you #16 and you slip, fall, or anything adverse happens, a picture of liability is painted. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Lawyers. Policies are in place. Bartender can see on the system how many drinks you have had. Even if you appear completely sober, if bartender serves you #16 and you slip, fall, or anything adverse happens, a picture of liability is painted. 

Perhaps it is simply Princess' way to shield other passengers from drunken, loutish behavior (and vomit)? Who enjoys being around people who have had 16-30 (or more) drinks? 15 seems pretty generous. I can be a fairly heavy drinker, at times, but I limit my drinking hours to about 4pm-8pm.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Teechur said:

Perhaps it is simply Princess' way to shield other passengers from drunken, loutish behavior (and vomit)? Who enjoys being around people who have had 16-30 (or more) drinks? 15 seems pretty generous. I can be a fairly heavy drinker, at times, but I limit my drinking hours to about 4pm-8pm.

I think this is a bonus. Over-serving is major liability concern whether on land or see. The fact that a computer system is logging every drink a person orders, discovery is so simple and you get a payday from the parent company. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teechur said:

so a couple of drinks an hour during those times?

I usually spread mine out to about 1 per hour - over 8 am to 11 pm - 15 hours

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

so a couple of drinks an hour during those times?

I usually spread mine out to about 1 per hour - over 8 am to 11 pm - 15 hours

That seems reasonable to me. I just never get the urge to have a drink in the morning, but no shame if you do.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Teechur said:

That seems reasonable to me. I just never get the urge to have a drink in the morning, but no shame if you do.

Absolutely no shame. Also, all drinks are not created equal and not all drinks are finished. Actual volume, ABV, and the rate someone drinks are all factors that make it impossible for someone to stand in judgment of someone’s consumption. Not everyone’s metabolism or liver are created equal. The only judgment that is fair is if someone is loud, rude, or obnoxious. But we all agree there are humans that can accomplish this unfavorable behavior even while they are stone cold sober. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When I told my 88 year old mother that she’ll be limited to 15 cocktails per day she was flabbergasted that anybody could drink that many.  Now, mind you, this is a woman who gets silly after one piña colada (especially when caught in the rain).

Now me, traveling with my 88 year old mother…will 15 be enough?  I kid!  I love the old girl. 

Edited by Prost Seattle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6