Question On Vista Suites on the Oceania Riviera (12001)

Sthrngary

Prior to asking this question, I did every search I knew how to do.  I want to say that upfront because I know how many feel about asking the same question over and over that has been covered. I respect everyone on this board and wanted you to know that.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have just secured the Vista Suite on the Oceania Riviera #12001 for a 10-day Mediterranean Cruise in November 2023.  It is clear that the Vista Suites square footage is a range of 1200 to 1500 / 111 -- 139 veranda. It seems clear that this Vista Suite would be on the smaller end of the square footage which is just fine.  Has anyone on this board stayed in this suite (12000 or 12001) and if so can you provide me with some input. I am aware of the location and that the bridge is below and the Outdoor Area of the Spa is above.  I get what that means.  It is the layout of the actual room and balcony differences I am hoping to uncover.  

Thank everyone in advance for your feedback and input. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

You probably have already seen the layout online  but if not

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/suites-staterooms

YOUTUBE  also have some video  tours of the suite

sorry cannot post the link as they are TA related

"Oceania Riviera 12001 " got me several hits

Thank you.  They are all of the suite on Deck 8.  From the design of the ship, that is the example of the largest sq footage and balcony.  As you go up the ship, it goes up in an angle.  Reducing area. Also when you look at the deck plan, there is what looks like a hallway in between 12000 and 12001.  

When in the final analysis, it really does not matter.  That are all about the same anyway.  Again, with all your posts, you are very much appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Ok sorry the one I saw was of 12001

hopefully someone who has stayed there  will respond

No, No; I saw it also.  That was a GOOD catch. My stateroom is 12001.  It was not on the Riviera, it was on the Marina.  I have to assume, they are more similar than not. Much appreciated.

48 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Prior to asking this question, I did every search I knew how to do.  I want to say that upfront because I know how many feel about asking the same question over and over that has been covered. I respect everyone on this board and wanted you to know that.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have just secured the Vista Suite on the Oceania Riviera #12001 for a 10-day Mediterranean Cruise in November 2023.  It is clear that the Vista Suites square footage is a range of 1200 to 1500 / 111 -- 139 veranda. It seems clear that this Vista Suite would be on the smaller end of the square footage which is just fine.  Has anyone on this board stayed in this suite (12000 or 12001) and if so can you provide me with some input. I am aware of the location and that the bridge is below and the Outdoor Area of the Spa is above.  I get what that means.  It is the layout of the actual room and balcony differences I am hoping to uncover.  

Thank everyone in advance for your feedback and input. 

I stayed in the Vista Suite 8002 for the maiden and inaugural on Riviera. Wonderful suite, loved the hot tub on the balcony with tv viewable in bright light. Amazing bathroom with giant shower and huge jacuzzi tub.  It even had a fitness room.  The separate bathroom for guests as well as us was so useful. Our friends had the owners suite and they liked ours better. Their balcony was broken up and ours was ginormous.

Here is a screenshot of the specs of all the Vista suites on the O ships.

image.thumb.png.8536b3105e529507016b8512f1897d9b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had the Vista suite  (Riviera) on Deck 9 for a Mediterranen cruise some years ago.  It was lovely.  Sort of wasted space in what was planned as a gym but which was used to stow the cushions from the terrace furniture.  We enjoyed the suite so much we have booked another on (also on 9) on Vista for next April.

Drawbacks - and I think this would apply to the one on 12 too - you cannot have the curtains open at night because the light affects the visibility from the bridge.  When the ship is docking or sailing the bow thrusters cause vibration (but that doesn't last long).

We have also had the Owners Suite and an Oceania Suite on Riviera.  And we really preferred the Vista suite as long as we are on a port intensive cruise... balcony is really not an option on a sea day because of wind.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We had the Vista suite  (Riviera) on Deck 9 for a Mediterranen cruise some years ago.  It was lovely.  Sort of wasted space in what was planned as a gym but which was used to stow the cushions from the terrace furniture.  We enjoyed the suite so much we have booked another on (also on 9) on Vista for next April.

Drawbacks - and I think this would apply to the one on 12 too - you cannot have the curtains open at night because the light affects the visibility from the bridge.  When the ship is docking or sailing the bow thrusters cause vibration (but that doesn't last long).

We have also had the Owners Suite and an Oceania Suite on Riviera.  And we really preferred the Vista suite as long as we are on a port intensive cruise... balcony is really not an option on a sea day because of wind.

@Hambagahle Thank you very much.  To say I am excited would be an understatement.  Please allow me to ask you some questions.  I respect your time so no urgency.  Some of my question are just me being a detail guy.  Your time and answers will be valued.

1. Internet: I booked this suite prior to "Simply More" going into effect.  Is it my understanding the Vista Suite has two device log-in's ?(Normal not streaming Internet)
  2. Front Facing Veranda: Front of the ship verandas with wind during sailing.  I was in the Owners Suite on the NCL Joy.  It was also windy during sailing.  That was ok because the weather was so warm at the time.  This is different, the weather is Europe/Greece/Italy in early November.  As you said, this is a port intensive 10 day cruise, it will be in port most of the time.  I appreciate you sharing this with me and it reminded me of my experiences.  Thank you.
  3. Specialty Restaurants: I just notices, we have "TWO" guaranteed specialty restaurants reservations for each specialty restaurant. Prior to upgrade, in a penthouse, I only had one per.  We are traveling with friends who are in a Penthouse.  Do you know if I can make a reservation outside of the normal five and include them? Also, and I know what I am asking is relative to tastes.  Which is your favorite of the four Specialty Restaurants?
  4. On-Board Restaurant Reservations:  Logic and past cruises taught me to gain my specialty restaurant reservation as soon as I could book them On-Line.  Knowing Oceania allows waitlist for the day you would like to gain another reservation.  Since we have an extra four Guarantee Reservations, does that give priority for booking while I am on-board?  Or should I book them pre-cruise even is I can have our guest joint us? 
  5. Early Boarding at 11:00 AM:  This is another one of those questions like the specialty restaurants.  You may or may not know.  Just asking and will call Oceania if you are not sure.  The Penthouse with our friends board at 12:00 PM, the Vista boards at 11:00 AM.  If I share we are cruising together will them let them join us for the earlier boarding? 

From you your perspective, is there anything else that makes a Vista suite different from let us say a Penthouse?  

So you know, I have made a hobby of gaining this type of information prior to boarding.  This kind of information is not easy to find.  Once I cruise, I will capture all of it and share with CruiseCritic.com and put in my detailed review. Any assistance will be truly appreciated.  Thank you again.

We were in 12001 on the Riviera in November 2019 in the Caribbean. It was fantastic and huge!  The bathroom was marvelous, the biggest I've ever seen on a ship, and much bigger than in an Owners Suite.  It was a very quiet location and convenient to walk to the Terrace Cafe in 3 minutes (2 minutes if we were very hungry!)  We were never asked to close the drapes at night.  I assume that was because we were above the bridge.  On our 12-day cruise it was windy only one day and the veranda was unusable.  I would definitely book this suite again.   Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Twiga said:

We were in 12001 on the Riviera in November 2019 in the Caribbean. It was fantastic and huge!  The bathroom was marvelous, the biggest I've ever seen on a ship, and much bigger than in an Owners Suite.  It was a very quiet location and convenient to walk to the Terrace Cafe in 3 minutes (2 minutes if we were very hungry!)  We were never asked to close the drapes at night.  I assume that was because we were above the bridge.  On our 12-day cruise it was windy only one day and the veranda was unusable.  I would definitely book this suite again.   Enjoy!

@Twiga Thank you for taking the time to respond.  On the Walk to the Terrace Cafe, I will make it in 60 seconds or less.  My wife and I have been dieting now for several months for our upcoming trip, LOL. Could you look at the questions I posted on Entry #9 above and kindly provide some feedback.  

This lovely suite is a comedy of errors in happening.  I will not share with my wife until we are on board.  We are cruising with friends in a Penthouse.  We will use the Vista Suite as Party Central.  Thanks again for responding.

• Like 1

Sthrngary -  I will try to answer your questions point by point but I hope others will too.  

1.   I think you are correct - two internet accounts.  That was the way it was on our last O. cruise in the Vista suite and from what my TA has told me it is that now.

2.  We were in the Vista Suite on Riviera in November.  Winter brings rain in the mediterranean and we certainly experienced that.  You cannot be outside if it is raining unless you don't mind getting wet!  No use in my saying "in Venice it poured and in Naples too but for the rest it was fine" because this November is bound to be different.   We did have one gloriously sunny and warm day in Malta and spent a lot of time on the balcony.  But the weather is what it is.   Wind is another issue.  Sometimes it is very windy when the ship is underway.  Other times less so.  I suppose the direction of travel has a lot to do with that. AND the direction of the wind. 

3.  In the Vista suite it is TWO reservations per speciality restaurant per cruise.  On our 10 day cruise we had 8 possible reservations.  (Polo, Jacques (now Ember), Toscana, Red Ginger).  You can reserve earlier than a PH suite too.  Which means you get a better choice of meal times.   Whether you can reserve for your friends as well who do not have this benefit I do not know.  Hopefully someone else will.   Remember you can also dine in the suite and that you have a generous supply of alcohol (6 litre bottles) with a good bar menu to choose from.  If you like you can have wine instead of alcohol...  Butler will take care of it all.

4.  As I said I can't answer about booking for others.  BUT we happen to hate Toscana (live too close to northern Italy to like American-Italian food) and we love Red Ginger.  I simply made the allowed reservations and then told my butler we wouldn't be using the Toscana ones so he was able to pass them on to people in PH etc.  I also asked him to get us an additional (3rd) table in Red Ginger which he did.  Just tell the butler what you want...  You can invite your friends to dinner in your suite if you like and order from any of the restaurants.  Butler brings the daily menu from the main Dining Room every morning.  And the other menus are in the suite all the time.   The butlers don't like to have people order a starter from one restaurant and a main from another - simply because the scheduling is a nightmare for them.  But no problem ordering from any one of them any evening.

5.  Early boarding - They may well not be able to access their PH before 1200 or whenever their boarding time is.  Vista suite will be available for occupancy at 1100.  if there is not a huge crowd at the checkin you might ask if they could board with you and drop their carry ons etc in your suite.  But I can't predict what the answer might be.

I have not been in a PH.  the lowest category of suite I have had is an Oceania Suite.  So I really can't say except that we found the Vista very comfortable, had more space than the O. Suite and we actually. liked it better than the Owners Suite.  My impression from the Deck plans and room descriptions is that I would find the PH very congested.   

I hope this answers the questions.  We are more and more pleased we have chosen to cruise again!  (after having a Splendour (regent) cruise cancelled at 10 hours notice with the ship in front of our hotel room we said never again...)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

From you your perspective, is there anything else that makes a Vista suite different from let us say a Penthouse?

You get a 6 bottle in room setup of alcohol that you get to choose from a list. 

As far as booking your friends in the specialty, you won't be able to do that up front, but if you ask your butler he might be able to make that happen for you. I know we asked out butler to do this once with some friends that were in a lower cabin and he made it happen. You should also be able to dine in the room with them from a specialty. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure if I read it all correctly but fyi, on Riviera in January we had a B3.  Friends we made on the roll call who had a higher level cabin (I don't know which) and could make reservations earlier invited us to dinner at Polo and we gave them our booking number and they reserved a four top before we could reserve.  When it was time for us to reserve, our reservation was already listed for Polo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Woofa said:

Not sure if I read it all correctly but fyi, on Riviera in January we had a B3.  Friends we made on the roll call who had a higher level cabin (I don't know which) and could make reservations earlier invited us to dinner at Polo and we gave them our booking number and they reserved a four top before we could reserve.  When it was time for us to reserve, our reservation was already listed for Polo.

It seems  Oceania  has opened that loophole  a while ago

Not suppose to work like that but  if you can get away with booking people from the lower cabins    then go for it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Sthrngary -  I will try to answer your questions point by point but I hope others will too.  

1.   I think you are correct - two internet accounts.  That was the way it was on our last O. cruise in the Vista suite and from what my TA has told me it is that now.

2.  We were in the Vista Suite on Riviera in November.  Winter brings rain in the mediterranean and we certainly experienced that.  You cannot be outside if it is raining unless you don't mind getting wet!  No use in my saying "in Venice it poured and in Naples too but for the rest it was fine" because this November is bound to be different.   We did have one gloriously sunny and warm day in Malta and spent a lot of time on the balcony.  But the weather is what it is.   Wind is another issue.  Sometimes it is very windy when the ship is underway.  Other times less so.  I suppose the direction of travel has a lot to do with that. AND the direction of the wind. 

3.  In the Vista suite it is TWO reservations per speciality restaurant per cruise.  On our 10 day cruise we had 8 possible reservations.  (Polo, Jacques (now Ember), Toscana, Red Ginger).  You can reserve earlier than a PH suite too.  Which means you get a better choice of meal times.   Whether you can reserve for your friends as well who do not have this benefit I do not know.  Hopefully someone else will.   Remember you can also dine in the suite and that you have a generous supply of alcohol (6 litre bottles) with a good bar menu to choose from.  If you like you can have wine instead of alcohol...  Butler will take care of it all.

4.  As I said I can't answer about booking for others.  BUT we happen to hate Toscana (live too close to northern Italy to like American-Italian food) and we love Red Ginger.  I simply made the allowed reservations and then told my butler we wouldn't be using the Toscana ones so he was able to pass them on to people in PH etc.  I also asked him to get us an additional (3rd) table in Red Ginger which he did.  Just tell the butler what you want...  You can invite your friends to dinner in your suite if you like and order from any of the restaurants.  Butler brings the daily menu from the main Dining Room every morning.  And the other menus are in the suite all the time.   The butlers don't like to have people order a starter from one restaurant and a main from another - simply because the scheduling is a nightmare for them.  But no problem ordering from any one of them any evening.

5.  Early boarding - They may well not be able to access their PH before 1200 or whenever their boarding time is.  Vista suite will be available for occupancy at 1100.  if there is not a huge crowd at the checkin you might ask if they could board with you and drop their carry ons etc in your suite.  But I can't predict what the answer might be.

I have not been in a PH.  the lowest category of suite I have had is an Oceania Suite.  So I really can't say except that we found the Vista very comfortable, had more space than the O. Suite and we actually. liked it better than the Owners Suite.  My impression from the Deck plans and room descriptions is that I would find the PH very congested.   

I hope this answers the questions.  We are more and more pleased we have chosen to cruise again!  (after having a Splendour (regent) cruise cancelled at 10 hours notice with the ship in front of our hotel room we said never again...)

@Hambagahle Wow, incredible information.  I can't thank you enough.  Very Sorry about the situation on Regent.  Unacceptable.  Thank you again.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Not suppose to work like that but  if you can get away with booking people from the lower cabins    then go for it

It's been that way for at least 4 years.  The other party needs to be paid in full and you need their booking number.   Nothing to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

@LHT28 I might have missed the loophole.  My friends are in a Penthouse (PH).  Please allow me to ask my question a bit differently for clarification.  A Vista Suite has two (2) guaranteed reservations at each of the four (4) Specialty Restaurants for a total of 8.  A Penthouse has one, for a total of 4.  I have booked my friends with my wife and I already for four (4).  With recently upgrading our suite to a Vista, can I include them in my reservation for the next 4 reservations? Is that the loophole being referred too?

The alternative is book the reservations 5 through 8 for my wife and I.  When onboard, ask our butler to ask permission for our friends to join us making our table for 4.  None of this is critical, my past cruise experiences have taught me, get your specialty restaurant reservations as early as you can.  This gives guests the best possibility at restaurants, days and times desired. I have zero experience on Oceania. I hope all that makes sense.  Again, just happy to be cruising. None of this is critical other than having a good strategy. 

PS: Because I have so enjoyed the help you have provided to myself and everyone.  Also knowing Food is relative to the individual.  Could you tell me your favorite of the four specialty restaurants.  

30 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@LHT28 I might have missed the loophole.  My friends are in a Penthouse (PH).  Please allow me to ask my question a bit differently for clarification.  A Vista Suite has two (2) guaranteed reservations at each of the four (4) Specialty Restaurants for a total of 8.  A Penthouse has one, for a total of 4.  I have booked my friends with my wife and I already for four (4).  With recently upgrading our suite to a Vista, can I include them in my reservation for the next 4 reservations? Is that the loophole being referred too?

Your friends are limited to their 4, so no you can't add them to more than 1 reservation in each specialty if that is their limit. I think some people have mentioned that they were able to have friends in lower-cabins join them for room service specialty dining (not sure how universal that is though).

You can find some (not all...yay CC!) answers in the FAQs; here are the dining reservation one:

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360001119853-Managing-Reservations

• Thanks 1

Just now, AMHuntFerry said:

Your friends are limited to their 4, so no you can't add them to more than 1 reservation in each specialty if that is their limit. I think some people have mentioned that they were able to have friends in lower-cabins join them for room service specialty dining (not sure how universal that is though).

You can find some (not all...yay CC!) answers in the FAQs; here are the dining reservation one:

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360001119853-Managing-Reservations

Correct - they can join your reservation for the 4 they are entitled to ...once onboard you or your butler can check and see if there is availability to add them to your other reservations.  The same as anyone checking onboard for additional specialty restaurant reservations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Early Boarding at 11:00 AM:  This is another one of those questions like the specialty restaurants.  You may or may not know.  Just asking and will call Oceania if you are not sure.  The Penthouse with our friends board at 12:00 PM, the Vista boards at 11:00 AM.  If I share we are cruising together will them let them join us for the earlier boarding? 

I have not seen any indication that there is early boarding available post-pandemic based on cabin category. However, there are dedicated lines for check-in (can't remember about security) for different categories (similar to airline check-in priority lines). We were is a D-cabin last cruise and were able to choose an 11 am check-in when the itinerary listed 1 pm.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

The alternative is book the reservations 5 through 8 for my wife and I.  When onboard, ask our butler to ask permission for our friends to join us making our table for 4.  None of this is critical, my past cruise experiences have taught me, get your specialty restaurant reservations as early as you can.  This gives guests the best possibility at restaurants, days and times desired. I have zero experience on Oceania. I hope all that makes sense.  Again, just happy to be cruising. None of this is critical other than having a good strategy. 

PS: Because I have so enjoyed the help you have provided to myself and everyone.  Also knowing Food is relative to the individual.  Could you tell me your favorite of the four specialty restaurants.  

The great answers above are correct, but just to make sure, any pre-sailing bookings you do that includes your friends, uses their allotted pre-sailing bookings.

Edited by 1985rz1

Ok so the loop hole I was reffering to was in the past  people could not add  pax from a lower category to their  dining reservations until it was the lower cat time slot

EG  Suites can book 90 days out  PH 75 days out Concierge 60 days out  others 45 days out

So someone in a suite could not add people in a B  until 45 days out

But  in the past few years  anything goes

Unfair to those in the lower cabins to get  a reservation when their time slot  comes up or  sometimes  not get any booked  reservation  pre cruise

JMO

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

The great answers above are correct, but just to make sure, any pre-sailing bookings you do that includes your friends, uses their allotted pre-sailing bookings.

@1985rz1 Thank you.  I have booked four (4) specialty restaurant meals with our friends already. I tried to add them in to another one and the system, as noted, would not allow it. So, first four Done and confirmed.  I just added the four (4) additional specialty restaurant days and times for my wife and myself.  When I get on board, I will ask our butler to add our friends on the second set of four (4) dates.  My logic tells me, he/she may be able to initially do the first night.  He/she will have to wait for the other days in the morning to add them in based on all that has been shared with me to the other dates.   Thank you for your help.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Ok so the loop hole I was reffering to was in the past  people could not add  pax from a lower category to their  dining reservations until it was the lower cat time slot

EG  Suites can book 90 days out  PH 75 days out Concierge 60 days out  others 45 days out

So someone in a suite could not add people in a B  until 45 days out

But  in the past few years  anything goes

Unfair to those in the lower cabins to get  a reservation when their time slot  comes up or  sometimes  not get any booked  reservation  pre cruise

JMO

Yes, it's terribly unfair, unless you have friends that book named suites.  Then it's pretty cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1