Least appealing food

lenquixote66

To me, the least appealing dish that could be put in front of me would be a fish or animal that still looks like itself, ie a whole fish.  I'm not 100% vegetarian, but I do find looking at a dead whole animal very off-putting.

I grew up eating pickled pigs feet and still like them. Maryland softshell crabs are the one thing I have tried, twice, but cannot stomach. Must be the innards. I like other shellfish, though, and I even eat tinned sardines. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was never a big fan of Okra, I always found it slimy and greasy.

However, I had it last year in a 5* hotel in Mumbai as part of a dish and actually quite enjoyed it.

Other than that, I'm not too squeamish and judge food on taste rather than appearance. 

53 minutes ago, norn iron said:

I was never a big fan of Okra

I think we'd get on in real life - we seem to have similar food tastes/experiences. I also had a dislike of okra until I went to a "secret supper club" run by a young woman of Punjabi heritage, where all the dishes were homestyle ones from her culture. I never realised okra could be other than slimy. 

By the by, the supper club was great fun. You signed up online but didnt know where you were going until an hour before (it was actually her parents' home). There was about a dozen of us - so a bit like a dinner party but one where you didnt know anyone. Payment, in cash, was by way of a "suggested" donation. Best Indian meal I've ever eaten. 

On 7/17/2023 at 9:57 PM, Harters said:

I think we'd get on in real life - we seem to have similar food tastes/experiences. I also had a dislike of okra until I went to a "secret supper club" run by a young woman of Punjabi heritage, where all the dishes were homestyle ones from her culture. I never realised okra could be other than slimy. 

By the by, the supper club was great fun. You signed up online but didnt know where you were going until an hour before (it was actually her parents' home). There was about a dozen of us - so a bit like a dinner party but one where you didnt know anyone. Payment, in cash, was by way of a "suggested" donation. Best Indian meal I've ever eaten. 

I agree, similar tastes and dining experiences.  

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 1:17 AM, CntPAcruiser said:

I grew up eating pickled pigs feet and still like them. Maryland softshell crabs are the one thing I have tried, twice, but cannot stomach. Must be the innards. I like other shellfish, though, and I even eat tinned sardines. 

Tinned sardines are great, they drive my dog nuts if I open a tin, and he has to get a share.

Soft shell crabs, either in Maryland or Singapore are one of my favourites.

I could never find much meat on a pig's foot, but Pierre Koffmans stuffed pigs trotter is a different choice entirely. https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/stuffed-pigs-trotter-recipe 

55 minutes ago, norn iron said:

Tinned sardines are great, they drive my dog nuts if I open a tin, and he has to get a share.

Soft shell crabs, either in Maryland or Singapore are one of my favourites.

I could never find much meat on a pig's foot, but Pierre Koffmans stuffed pigs trotter is a different choice entirely. https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/stuffed-pigs-trotter-recipe 

It is not something I have ever sampled, but there is a great story from the late Anthony Bourdain about Tête de Veau, or pressed calves head, that he tells in one of his books, I believe. The dish is made by deboning the calves head and gently cooking it until the skin becomes almost gelatinous. It's probably not something most Americans would care for because of the texture, much like pigs feet. 

Speaking of gelatinous texture, there's a product from the border area between France and Belgium. Called pot jevleesh on the French side and, in Dutch, potje vleesch on the Belgian side - either way, it translates to "pot of meat".

You buy it in jars. It's usually rabbit, chicken and pork which have been long cooked in a liquid. To serve, you decant it into a serving dish and chill, so  the liquid sets as a jelly around the meat, so you have something like brawn. It's traditionally served with salad and chips (fries) and it's delicious. But I'm sure the appearance would put many off. I had it first in a restaurant in the French town of Arras and now always look out for it when  I'm in that part of the world - supermarkets in the area always have jars, so I stock up before coming home. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 12:07 AM, norn iron said:

Enjoyed his dish back in the late eighties at his Tante Claire restaurant (3 star) if I remember correctly it was also stuffed with morels and sweetbreads. 

On 7/19/2023 at 1:06 AM, CntPAcruiser said:

It is not something I have ever sampled, but there is a great story from the late Anthony Bourdain about Tête de Veau, or pressed calves head, that he tells in one of his books, I believe. The dish is made by deboning the calves head and gently cooking it until the skin becomes almost gelatinous. It's probably not something most Americans would care for because of the texture, much like pigs feet.

I have a house I visit for a number of months of the year in a National Park in Burgundy, Tête de Veau is a very popular local dish for the whole family served with sauce Ravigote or sauce Gribiche. It can be served on the bone. I normally eat anything but hate the gelatinous fat