Disembarking times

Nelson1975

Hello 

This my first post for our first cruise 

We are going to Bermuda on the joy on the 13th of august from New York and I'm trying to book a transfer for when we dock at 7am on the 20th.

What would be a good time to book the car to meet us as i cant work out how long it will take us to get off of the ship also I'm not sure if its best to carry our own luggage off or leave it out the night before and what are the timings are for these different options.

Thanking you in advanced for any help

p,s Thank you all for all the great posts and advice

Edited by Nelson1975
missed a bit

If you don't have an early flight to catch, schedule the pick up for around 10. They like to get the people who have a tight schedule off early. And why not have a relaxing breakfast on the ship before you leave. And then you don't have to worry about when the ship is finished docking. 

if you do have a flight to catch, let the cruise line know. They will facilitate you getting off asap. 8:00 would probably be safe. 

have fun!

1 hour ago, Nelson1975 said:

hello

Thanks for the reply. I've read in a few places it can take a couple of hours to get off of the ship after it docks

Bottom line is that SCHEDULED arrival time and ACTUAL arrival time can be vastly different things. Though not a regular occurrence, our most recent cruise reached SYD 3 hours late (mechanical issue).

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Book it for 8am. That way there shouldn't be any issue.

Keep in mind, if you book the car as a private arrangement, that car belongs to you. They won't leave without you.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Only at the final port.

The OP is asking about disembarking in NY at the conclusion of the cruise. Note the question about whether to carry their own luggage off::"I'm not sure if its best to carry our own luggage off or leave it out the night before and what are the timings are for these different options."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nelson1975 said:

hello

Thanks for the reply. I've read in a few places it can take a couple of hours to get off of the ship after it docks

The 8 am suggestion is wrong. The poster mistakenly thought you were talking about disembarking in a port of call, rather than disembarking at the conclusion of the cruise. 

To answer to your question it would be helpful to know where you're headed to upon disembarkation. An airport with a flight departure at a particular time? A hotel for a stay in New York post cruise ?

If you're not in a hurry to get somewhere by a precise time there's no need to rush and you could book a car for 9:30 or 10 am. 

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The 8 am suggestion is wrong. The poster mistakenly thought you were talking about disembarking in a port of call, rather than disembarking at the conclusion of the cruise. 

To answer to your question it would be helpful to know where you're headed to upon disembarkation. An airport with a flight departure at a particular time? A hotel for a stay in New York post cruise ?

If you're not in a hurry to get somewhere by a precise time there's no need to rush and you could book a car for 9:30 or 10 am. 

we are just going back to jfk so I'm in no rush so 10 sounds great

thank you for your help 

2 hours ago, Szt said:

If you don't have an early flight to catch, schedule the pick up for around 10. They like to get the people who have a tight schedule off early. And why not have a relaxing breakfast on the ship before you leave. And then you don't have to worry about when the ship is finished docking. 

if you do have a flight to catch, let the cruise line know. They will facilitate you getting off asap. 8:00 would probably be safe. 

have fun!

thank you very much, i like the idea of a leisurely breakfast  

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I have to correct a couple of things. Yes, I was thinking the OP was referring to a port along the cruise, not the disembarking port. However, have you not been able to get off the ship before 8am at a disembarking port? You absolutely can, although not a lot before 8. If you are carrying your bags off, you can. If you are in a suite, you can.

33 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

However, have you not been able to get off the ship before 8am at a disembarking port? You absolutely can, although not a lot before 8.

I once disembarked before 7 am. I consider that to be  'a lot' before 8 am. If I had disembarked 'not a lot' before 8 am, I would have missed my flight.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

I have to correct a couple of things. Yes, I was thinking the OP was referring to a port along the cruise, not the disembarking port. However, have you not been able to get off the ship before 8am at a disembarking port? You absolutely can, although not a lot before 8. If you are carrying your bags off, you can. If you are in a suite, you can.

I've been on cruises where I could have disembarked before 8 if I wanted to, but I never have wanted to.

I've been on cruises where there's no way I could have disembarked before 8 because the ship arrived late or officials didn't clear the ship for disembarkation quickly enough.

The OP said nothing about having a suite so why would anyone assume they did?

The simple fact is you misunderstood the question. 

Perhaps you should just move on from that rather than shoveling assumptions and 
"what ifs" back at me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I've been on cruises where I could have disembarked before 8 if I wanted to, but I never have wanted to.

I've been on cruises where there's no way I could have disembarked before 8 because the ship arrived late or officials didn't clear the ship for disembarkation quickly enough.

The OP said nothing about having a suite so why would anyone assume they did?

The simple fact is you misunderstood the question. 

Perhaps you should just move on from that rather than shoveling assumptions and 
"what ifs" back at me.

Perhaps you should realize you don't have all the right and only answers.

• Haha 1