Ocean Crossing - Wind Spirit - Deck 1 or Deck 2?

JM0115

We are considering an ocean crossing on Wind Spirit from Tahiti to Costa Rica. For those that have gone on a transpacific or transatlantic crossing on the Wind Spirit or Wind Star small sailing ship, which is better - deck 1 or deck 2? There seem to be trade-offs - Deck 1 lower on the ship for less rolling, but Deck 2 for less splashing onto the portholes and perhaps more opportunity to open the porthole windows. How much does the deck matter in terms of rockng and rolling and how splashy does it get onto the deck 1 porthole windows while on the open sea?

Port Holes do not  open, middle ship first deck less rocking and rolling. We went on the Spirit over to Tahiti from Costa Rica, we went along the equator known as the Doldrums, calm seas, our experience very calm. Great trip. Warm, calm, so totally relaxing, beautiful. We loved  all 19 days. We went in May. Our Captain Pinto literally sailed, no motor in to   the harbor, thrilling. We were ahead of schedul we sailed for 2 days   Harbor Happy Sailing. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Strenz said:

Port Holes do not  open, middle ship first deck less rocking and rolling. We went on the Spirit over to Tahiti from Costa Rica, we went along the equator known as the Doldrums, calm seas, our experience very calm. Great trip. Warm, calm, so totally relaxing, beautiful. We loved  all 19 days. We went in May. Our Captain Pinto literally sailed, no motor in to   the harbor, thrilling. We were ahead of schedul we sailed for 2 days   Harbor Happy Sailing. 

Sounds wonderful- thought the portholes did open??

did you arrive 2 days early? Did they end the cruise early?

No the portholes have never opened. No they arrived at Papetti harbor a day early and we all stayed on board and enjoyed the town. It docked in the center of the town. We took the Tahiti cruise after the crossing.Truly wonderful experience. We are on our 27 th WS this September. Mostly the sailing ships, portholes have never opened. Happy Sailing.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Strenz said:

No the portholes have never opened. No they arrived at Papetti harbor a day early and we all stayed on board and enjoyed the town. It docked in the center of the town. We took the Tahiti cruise after the crossing.Truly wonderful experience. We are on our 27 th WS this September. Mostly the sailing ships, portholes have never opened. Happy Sailing.

Wow 27! Thanks!

We have sailed on the sailing ships 25 times, once on a motor before stretch and September Iceland to Montréal on the Pride.  We think sailing ships screech Caribbean, Mediterranean and South Pacific. Then again sailed most of our life. Have a great trip. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strenz said:

We have sailed on the sailing ships 25 times, once on a motor before stretch and September Iceland to Montréal on the Pride.  We think sailing ships screech Caribbean, Mediterranean and South Pacific. Then again sailed most of our life. Have a great trip. 

Hope you have a great trip too!

2 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

This photo was taken from our cabin on Deck 1 of the Wind Star while cruising from Colon, Panama to Bermuda, a re-positioning cruise that they never have repeated.image.jpeg.ffd102b85195bc3ff4c9659ebd6e112f.jpeg

Was it difficult to sleep with the waves hitting the windows?

3 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

This photo was taken from our cabin on Deck 1 of the Wind Star while cruising from Colon, Panama to Bermuda, a re-positioning cruise that they never have repeated.image.jpeg.ffd102b85195bc3ff4c9659ebd6e112f.jpeg

LOL.Yes, we had a bit of that in the Med too on deck 1 of the Wind Surf. Didn't last too long.

• Like 1

When choosing deck 1 or deck 2, there are a variety of factors to take into account.  We are happy to be on either deck, but love deck 1 because of how close we are to the sea.  If you are on deck 1:  You might need to be prepared to take the stairs up and down multiple times a day (sometimes, within an hour if you've forgotten something in the cabin or up on the deck) and, for some passengers who have mobility challenges (knees, hips, etc.) that can be an issue; when the seas are rough, the captain might choose to have the port hole covers latched shut and, depending upon how long the rough seas last, it could be numerous days; the opposite side of that is when the port holes are open, one can sometimes see sea life such as dolphins right beside the cabin; as well, I get more of a sense of being at sea on deck 1 than on deck 2 as the ocean is right there; the watertight doors on deck 1 close when coming into port as a safety feature and one takes a different set of stairs (crew stairs) to go up and down to other decks (note:  it's just a different exit route and one is not "trapped"); and, if you are someone who wants to get a drink from the bar and take it to the cabin, you will have an extra deck up and/or down to get the drink (that burns some of the calories you are getting from the drink so to me it's a win-win).  As none of the portholes open to let in air, one has to go up on deck.  The size of the smaller sailing ships make this a mute point for me as I spend a lot of time on the deck.  There are numerous places to sit or stand on the deck depending upon your preference(s):  the bow in front of the bridge; the starboard or port outside and/or centre outside where the outdoor dining tables are located; the bar area under the roof; the outdoor deck space close to the bar and around the pool to the aft of the ship; the upper deck; and most areas include some tables and chairs as well as loungers.  Regardless of the weather on our crossings, we have always had a fabulous experience.  As with any cruise/travel, one sometimes has to be flexible as Mother Nature dictates what happens.  I suggest that you choose your deck based on those factors that matter most to you and hope that some of this information helps you to make a choice.  Wishing you a fabulous cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, mariners said:

When choosing deck 1 or deck 2, there are a variety of factors to take into account.  We are happy to be on either deck, but love deck 1 because of how close we are to the sea.  If you are on deck 1:  You might need to be prepared to take the stairs up and down multiple times a day (sometimes, within an hour if you've forgotten something in the cabin or up on the deck) and, for some passengers who have mobility challenges (knees, hips, etc.) that can be an issue; when the seas are rough, the captain might choose to have the port hole covers latched shut and, depending upon how long the rough seas last, it could be numerous days; the opposite side of that is when the port holes are open, one can sometimes see sea life such as dolphins right beside the cabin; as well, I get more of a sense of being at sea on deck 1 than on deck 2 as the ocean is right there; the watertight doors on deck 1 close when coming into port as a safety feature and one takes a different set of stairs (crew stairs) to go up and down to other decks (note:  it's just a different exit route and one is not "trapped"); and, if you are someone who wants to get a drink from the bar and take it to the cabin, you will have an extra deck up and/or down to get the drink (that burns some of the calories you are getting from the drink so to me it's a win-win).  As none of the portholes open to let in air, one has to go up on deck.  The size of the smaller sailing ships make this a mute point for me as I spend a lot of time on the deck.  There are numerous places to sit or stand on the deck depending upon your preference(s):  the bow in front of the bridge; the starboard or port outside and/or centre outside where the outdoor dining tables are located; the bar area under the roof; the outdoor deck space close to the bar and around the pool to the aft of the ship; the upper deck; and most areas include some tables and chairs as well as loungers.  Regardless of the weather on our crossings, we have always had a fabulous experience.  As with any cruise/travel, one sometimes has to be flexible as Mother Nature dictates what happens.  I suggest that you choose your deck based on those factors that matter most to you and hope that some of this information helps you to make a choice.  Wishing you a fabulous cruise.

Thank you for the information. Now I get it.  The portholes do not open but the covers may be shut in really bad weather.  

On 25 cruises under sail we have never had porthole covers on, did not know they existed, we have done 2 Atlantic Crossings, one Pacific, multiple Med. sea and Caribbean seas, one English Channel. We do not get sea sick, we love the gentle motion to sleep,  on deck one on all three sailing ships. If you tend to get sea sick you want to be on deck one in the middle of the ship. The Spirit and Star no elevators, Surf elevators, when in port deck 1 and 2 there are water tight doors going in and out of port so if you get stuck you have to walk  up or down the stairs from deck 3.
I think the outside deck space is very roomy even in a full ship you never feel crowded, this deck space is much better than the motor ships. You can always find a private nook outside. While we enjoyed the one time on the motor yacht, looking forward to the up and coming trip on a motor ship, our heart is in the

sails, we simply adore it. Nothing like the

sails, the decks, the  sail aways, it is our little piece of nirvana, nothing like it for us. Happy Sailing ( truthfully for us is does not matter on the ship where we are, we have been in every kind of room, all decks, suites etc  we are happy we are on)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Strenz, I think you have been sailing on Windstar for years, as have we, and have seen and experienced different scenarios depending upon the captain and the ocean conditions.  

What we experienced in the past, is not indicative of current sailings, and/or future sailings.  Although I'd love to name the Captain(s) who made each crossing and/or sailing unique, I realize that some of our experiences would no longer be permissible onboard Windstar, and those individuals, captain/staff/crew, might choose not to be named.  We were onboard when one was permitted to have fishing lines off the aft of the ship and the ship stopped to allow a wahoo reeled onboard. We sailed with individuals who brought fishing lines for crew.  We sailed with individuals who created and/or brought kites for "entertainment", and the doctor helped create the kites (who knew that surgical tape should have been sold in the shop?).   We were onboard when the "wahoo" was caught and were thrilled to be part of the experience as well as enjoyed the multiple meals created by the chef..  We were onboard when one could bring unlimited alcohol onboard and passengers would plan an "on deck evening".  The music is not a "top 100", but we had a great time.  

We have sailed through major storms, and also the calmest sea.  We have had Captains who make different decisions, such as closing portholes or leaving them open, and each sailing has been unique in many ways.  We cannot wait to experience what Windstar will offer in the future.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, vtgumby said:

Love Windstar but never had an open porthole, feels like a recipe for wet disaster but I too wish they did open. Seems I missed the good ole days.
Alas.

If the porthole opens, you will have an oar or a cannon – and be expected to use it!  🤣

• Haha 4

Hi Mariners, We started with Wind Surf 1999, in 89 we saw her masts waiting for a ferry to get to Corsica. We said to each other we would love to sail on that ship. Ten years later voilà a family member owed us a bit of  money, the day the money came, a 2 for one postcard offer came in the mail from WS either for the Star or the Surf, we remembered the masts,  it was over Thanksgiving, I was on a school leave if absence for a year,  we booked in one second, we wanted to go on the smaller ship the Star but the airfare was $600 to St. Thomas, to Barbados on the Surf $8 yup! We went, we boarded, fell in love with her, pinched ourselves all week long, devoted for life. We could not go again until I retired from teaching 2005. We are avid travelers and love the ocean, it has been perfect for us traveling and in January a vacation on the Surf in the Caribbean.  Never had open port holes, never saw people fish, never saw a kite, I love them, seriously we have never had really rough sailing, my father's sailing has been far more perilous, funny. We are always excited to go like it is our first. Fingers crossed the N. Atlantic in September will be kind. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sailing. Susanne

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Strenz said:

Hi Mariners, We started with Wind Surf 1999, in 89 we saw her masts waiting for a ferry to get to Corsica. We said to each other we would love to sail on that ship. Ten years later voilà a family member owed us a bit of  money, the day the money came, a 2 for one postcard offer came in the mail from WS either for the Star or the Surf, we remembered the masts,  it was over Thanksgiving, I was on a school leave if absence for a year,  we booked in one second, we wanted to go on the smaller ship the Star but the airfare was $600 to St. Thomas, to Barbados on the Surf $8 yup! We went, we boarded, fell in love with her, pinched ourselves all week long, devoted for life. We could not go again until I retired from teaching 2005. We are avid travelers and love the ocean, it has been perfect for us traveling and in January a vacation on the Surf in the Caribbean.  Never had open port holes, never saw people fish, never saw a kite, I love them, seriously we have never had really rough sailing, my father's sailing has been far more perilous, funny. We are always excited to go like it is our first. Fingers crossed the N. Atlantic in September will be kind. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sailing. Susanne

Thanks for sharing. I will have my cannon and oars ready!

• Haha 1

I do need to apologize to all for the mistake of asking about opening the portholes. When I looked at images of the portholes I saw the hinges and clamps and assumed that they opened, with no idea that those were for the covers. I realize now that there is no way they would allow these to open! 

I am also assuming that one could close the covers on their own if they wanted complete darkness in the cabin?

Nevertheless, we are looking forward to our first Windstar cruise and first sailing ship cruise in October!

vtgumby, thanks for your lighthearted response to my "open" porthole comment.  If they had actually opened, I wouldn't be here to tell the tale.

JM0115, I'm going to try and attach a photo so that you can see the porthole and the porthole cover.  One can have complete darkness in the cabin without closing the cover as the curtains block out the light.  The porthole covers are quite heavy and the screws to put them in place are made so that they are not easily opened and closed although it can be done.   

IMG_1093.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

I do need to apologize to all for the mistake of asking about opening the portholes. When I looked at images of the portholes I saw the hinges and clamps and assumed that they opened, with no idea that those were for the covers. I realize now that there is no way they would allow these to open!

No problem, and thanks for taking our lighthearted responses in stride!  😉

Strenz, my DH and I only sailed on the Wind Surf one time and that was in 2003.  It was a TA from Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale.  Perhaps, you were onboard?

The rest of our cruises on Windstar have been on the smaller sailing ships:  Wind Spirit, Wind Song, and Wind Star.  Most of these cruises have been TA's. 

I hope, JM0115 will find that Windstar is a good fit.    

IMO, I recommend that people sail on these ships now as the large (understatement) ships seem to be increasing in numbers and the smaller ships will become either obsolete, or, for some of us, too expensive to sail.  (Of course, that is not for those who want to skate, climb mountains, etc. as Windstar would never be a good fit for those individuals.)

Wishing you a fabulous sailing adventure in September.

Caroline 

• Like 2