Explora Journey 1 Inaugural

uktog

8 minutes ago, uktog said:

Oh well, here endeth my report on the Explora 1 inaugural

I will update on my experience on how they handle making this situation right for us and how quickly we see the refund

Thank you and I'm so sorry.  

• Thanks 1

So sorry for your experience.  Please keep us updated on how they handle this.  The shipyard issue seems to have been beyond Explora's control.  The follow-up will show their mettle.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Oh well, here endeth my report on the Explora 1 inaugural

I will update on my experience on how they handle making this situation right for us and how quickly we see the refund

So sorry to hear this - I know how much we all look forward to vacations and this truly is a last minute cancellation.  I can only imagine your disappointment let alone the time you would have spent on planning. I am hoping that their response is notable for being overly generous!

• Thanks 1

I have to say for now two things do not impressed me. Firstly, although the cruise line was very happy to email me direct to encourage me to do online check-in which I have done and they know I have done they have not contacted me direct to tell me that the Cruise is cancelled.  There may well be a lot of people in the UK, who do not know partly because the announcement has come out after travel agents have closed. It will be interesting to see if my travel agent this morning had actually had any notification.  

Secondly, obviously everybody has to get a full refund of their costs including flights and that is being given, but the additional sweetener is only a 30% voucher. For people like me who are self-employed, I don’t have the flexibility I need to find something today or go without this holiday completely and try and rebook work in. 

By the time I am able to use the 30% off voucher we are into 2024, where Explora is pricing is high and I really don’t think for all the inconvenience I’m going to have to work through this 30% is a fair reflection, and I’ll be getting my travel agent to make that point for me.   

From what I’m reading elsewhere the reason the ship can’t sale is because of a safety issue relating to materials that were used in some part of the fit out that are not compliant so that is clearly a failure of process somewhere down the line and for now, I don’t think it’s fair I should take such a hit for that reason.

Maybe I’ll feel differently in a few times first time. If my travel agent has found me something fantastic elsewhere.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I’m gutted for you and all the others on the cancelled some of whom may actually have started their holidays already 

I’m sure once you find an alternative cruise Explorer will work with you to adjust the price (I know that it can be done )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I’m sure once you find an alternative cruise Explorer will work with you to adjust the price (I know that it can be done )

"It CAN be done" is vastly different from "it WILL be done".

Anyone care to place your bets?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Anyone care to place your bets?

Sure; they lost their opportunity to be transparent about this (just checked the website and no mention of the delay), and lost the opportunity for impacted customers to feel this was well handled.  My bet would be that they end up having the poor off-ship communications and customer service that most lines have and will not easily transfer bookings to more expensive voyages, but will also bet they end up producing a great product once onboard.  We are on in December so not impacted by this, but feel very bad for those who have had their plans changed so late.  Not making a good first impression.  Apparently, their partnership with EHL Hospitality Business School does not extend into customer service or new product launches, or perhaps that is a senior-level course they are not ready for. 

Edited by johng75370

I have just gotten off the phone with my travel agent, who tells me that Explora I is cancelled, until further notice.  (We were booked on the 8/8-15 Iceland to Denmark trip.)  She is finding out how Explora plans to reimburse passengers.  Details to follow!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

Google “Financial Times Explora” - it will come up and I was able to read it without subscribing. 

Thanks. That worked. This is a pretty complete review of what is known so far . . . and scary. All the industry needs now another issue to interfere with its financial recovery.

• Like 1

I read over on Facebook that some agents are managing to negotiate more than 30% future credit. Is anyone aware of this and anything they can share? 

On 7/7/2023 at 9:24 PM, nrc said:

I have just gotten off the phone with my travel agent, who tells me that Explora I is cancelled, until further notice.  (We were booked on the 8/8-15 Iceland to Denmark trip.)  She is finding out how Explora plans to reimburse passengers.  Details to follow!

Are you sure  8 th August is already  cancelled ?  I am booked on 21st August and website is saying  first cruise on 1st August ? 

I am just sharing what I've been told.  My travel agent called me after receiving a call from her contact at Explora advising that my sailing date, 8/8, had been cancelled.  I am now waiting to see when they will refund my fare.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nrc said:

I am just sharing what I've been told.  My travel agent called me after receiving a call from her contact at Explora advising that my sailing date, 8/8, had been cancelled.  I am now waiting to see when they will refund my fare.  

I am so sorry to hear this. Sharing your pain ❤️

7 hours ago, uktog said:

I read over on Facebook that some agents are managing to negotiate more than 30% future credit. Is anyone aware of this and anything they can share? 

Hi uktog. I hope your re-grouped vacation planning is finding success. We have opted for a Silversea B2B Alaska cruise later this month. We live on the west coast of the US, so this will be a much simpler journey. After having to pull back all the previous arrangements we've made, simplicity is desirable. And while our luggage is now sitting in Southhampton, Luggage Forward has assured us it will be returned shortly.

I asked our TA to express our disappointment in the 30% future credit. He made the call and was told no, that the cancellation was a call made by MSC and therefore they have no insurance coverage and will not increase it. So I would be very interested to hear if others were able to negotiate a higher percentage. 

Wishing you good travels.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mungojerrie said:

Hi uktog. I hope your re-grouped vacation planning is finding success. We have opted for a Silversea B2B Alaska cruise later this month. We live on the west coast of the US, so this will be a much simpler journey. After having to pull back all the previous arrangements we've made, simplicity is desirable. And while our luggage is now sitting in Southhampton, Luggage Forward has assured us it will be returned shortly.

I asked our TA to express our disappointment in the 30% future credit. He made the call and was told no, that the cancellation was a call made by MSC and therefore they have no insurance coverage and will not increase it. So I would be very interested to hear if others were able to negotiate a higher percentage. 

Wishing you good travels.

There are certainly people on FB saying their agent has good connections and has got them more though they won’t say what. I don’t buy the insurance coverage line sorry. 
Our plans are trying to take shape but we are restricted on dates and the other issue at this late stage is flight availability and prices. Had we been booking the options at the time we booked Explora our late July holiday would have cost half what it potentially will now something the 30% does not reflect. There are no last minute deals here except on mega boat lines we don’t do. 
I do hope you are reunited with your luggage very soon 

Edited by uktog

How are folks who were cancelled getting on with Explora. The more I hear from my agent about the assurances they were given at a senior level from senior MSC staff that the cruise was not cancelled AFTER the cancellation timeline per the subsequent communication the more annoyed I am. Never mind the undervalued feeling re the 30%

Ive been trying to move on but it’s very hard when it’s proving pretty impossible to get sensibly priced flights so late on.  We thought we had a solution last weekend but the provider had released back key elements to the airlines and hotels as it was within seven days and so far haven’t managed a fix. 

Let’s see what today brings. 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

How are folks who were cancelled getting on with Explora. The more I hear from my agent about the assurances they were given at a senior level from senior MSC staff that the cruise was not cancelled AFTER the cancellation timeline per the subsequent communication the more annoyed I am. Never mind the undervalued feeling re the 30%

Ive been trying to move on but it’s very hard when it’s proving pretty impossible to get sensibly priced flights so late on.  We thought we had a solution last weekend but the provider had released back key elements to the airlines and hotels as it was within seven days and so far haven’t managed a fix. 

So frustrating for you especially as you are confined to certain dates Hope all works out for you and a “reasonable’ offer is forthcoming 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Sadly I’ve not heard of anyone that has an a “easy” time getting rescheduled. Many seem to have the same challenges as you…time, increased cost and limited availability of cabins. 🥺

Edited by happy cruzin
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 2:24 PM, nrc said:

Have you heard any more on the August cruises?

9 hours ago, ljsanantonio said:

Have you heard any more on the August cruises?

Speaking with my TA yesterday they advise that their Explora contacts know little more than the party line i.e. that the Explora 1 itineraries will commence on 1st August - just over 2 weeks away !!!

We are due to be on a short itinerary from 21st August and are anticipating not good news.