Explora Journey 1 Inaugural

uktog

Starting this separate thread now so what actually happens is separated from what might happen.

Will be on the Inaugural (all other things willing) in two weeks.  We had not expected to be on the inaugural but changes happened.

First post is to say things were running a little late but today I was emailed the link to do my on line check in.  (Maybe they do not release the link until two weeks before which today is).  I followed the link and input the information.  If you are travelling with more than one person in the booking you have to complete the check in for everyone before it gives you the option on the front page to request your e-tickets.  Seaware is a little annoying, you do have to re-enter common information for the second person.  There is no option to tick a box and reapply the common information from the first person.  

I must have done it all correctly, I now have our e-tickets.  It is a 12 page document in our case as there is two of us and it contains all the information you need, the health declaration form, your luggage tags etc.  I like the fact the health declaration is something I can print out and complete the day before arriving at the port rather than balancing at a check in desk!.  The luggage labels are the "squarer" format used by MSC rather than the long thin ones that our current holders which were bought for Azamara can take but thats not a problem.  They do however mention tag holders that will be sent or will be available at the port so no problem there.

The information about transport links to Southampton our port of embarkation is very good indeed and very specific.  It covers all the airport options, how to identify licensed taxis (the plates to look out for) and general tipping guidance which is correct for the UK.

We had booked one excursion, it is correctly detailed in the document.  When we booked it, no time was given.  Delighted to see that "Ocean state of mind" does not include be up early for an excursion and we have a 10.45 start that day.

So all in all a good start to the final countdown.

Will update with any pre cruise information and once onboard, will share information, experiences and try and answer questions

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

11 minutes ago, uktog said:

Will update with any pre cruise information and once onboard, will share information, experiences and try and answer questions

Really looking forward to your reports of the inaugural cruise.

We are not due to sail on Explora until Jan24 so will be keenly following for a flavour of the onboard experience and any useful tips.

Will Heike be your ‘host’?

Have a wonderful cruise 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Starting this separate thread now so what actually happens is separated from what might happen.

Will be on the Inaugural (all other things willing) in two weeks.  We had not expected to be on the inaugural but changes happened.

First post is to say things were running a little late but today I was emailed the link to do my on line check in.  (Maybe they do not release the link until two weeks before which today is).  I followed the link and input the information.  If you are travelling with more than one person in the booking you have to complete the check in for everyone before it gives you the option on the front page to request your e-tickets.  Seaware is a little annoying, you do have to re-enter common information for the second person.  There is no option to tick a box and reapply the common information from the first person.  

I must have done it all correctly, I now have our e-tickets.  It is a 12 page document in our case as there is two of us and it contains all the information you need, the health declaration form, your luggage tags etc.  I like the fact the health declaration is something I can print out and complete the day before arriving at the port rather than balancing at a check in desk!.  The luggage labels are the "squarer" format used by MSC rather than the long thin ones that our current holders which were bought for Azamara can take but thats not a problem.  They do however mention tag holders that will be sent or will be available at the port so no problem there.

The information about transport links to Southampton our port of embarkation is very good indeed and very specific.  It covers all the airport options, how to identify licensed taxis (the plates to look out for) and general tipping guidance which is correct for the UK.

We had booked one excursion, it is correctly detailed in the document.  When we booked it, no time was given.  Delighted to see that "Ocean state of mind" does not include be up early for an excursion and we have a 10.45 start that day.

Yes, please post as many posts as you can while making sure you still enjoy your time on the ship. We sail in November. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

As anticipated, brilliantly informative, as ever😀. Lots of positives thus far.

Appreciate your devotion to us (!!) but don't forget to ensure that you have a wonderful, enjoyable  and memorable cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for starting this thread.  Also for the clear explanation of the Seaware check-in process – something that may presage what Azamara will look like when they get it fully implemented!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I can’t even imagine what compensation they can give you that will make this seem even a little bit better xx

I am currently OK to wait a few more days for clarification and I have confidence that repetitional damage limitation would come into play in anything given should the cruise be cancelled.  But for now, I am not even thinking about compensation, things like that are out of my hands so I am only going to harm myself by worrying 🙂 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Here is another recent trade article on the situation.  This all leaves me with more questions than answers.  Our cruise is not until the end of September, but who knows?

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tour-operators/explora-journeys-cancels-explora-i-delivery-ceremony

Hank

That wording tells me to get my less hopeful hat off the peg 

55 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

Yeah...I feel like that wording was VERY carefully selected!

I am amazed at the lack of transparency at such a late date.  There are likely some passengers already enroute to Southampton (we often fly to Europe many days or even weeks before a cruise).  Not a particularly good start to what is supposed to be a high quality luxury line.

Hank

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am amazed at the lack of transparency at such a late date.  There are likely some passengers already enroute to Southampton (we often fly to Europe many days or even weeks before a cruise).  Not a particularly good start to what is supposed to be a high quality luxury line.

Hank

Agreed....it is pretty late in the game to have a snafu like this!

Oh well, here endeth my report on the Explora 1 inaugural

I will update on my experience on how they handle making this situation right for us and how quickly we see the refund

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2