Little detail questions - Silhouette

wenlyn

Hi

Just booked a med cruise on Silhouette. It will be our first time with Celebrity we've done several TA on Cunard and also cruised with P&O & Ambassador. I'm hoping people here can answer a few little questions and share any insider knowledge that could make our experience the best it can be.

We are in one of the angled obstruceted view balconies on deck 6 (cos all the V2's had gone in less than 48 hours of seeing the deal!) I've seen a photo of the view and I think that will be fine for us as we are used to the sheltered balconies on QM2 My big question regarding this is can people on deck 5 look up at you?  Is there anything else we should know about this type of cabin - I can see from the deck plan its near the lifts.

Are there facilities in the cabin to make hot tea or coffee? Do they have cotton wool ballsl/cotten buds in the bathrooms? 

Our price was AI but I can see that lots of drinks are priced just over the inclusive price limit (classic) though I think it'll probably just pay the difference rather than upgrade as the price difference is unlikely to exceed the upgrade cost. Unless anyone thinks that logic is flawed? I'm a little concerned reading reviews about difficulty getting served drinks especially in the MDR. Is that a real problem or just an isolated experience? Or perhaps a post covid hiccup ascruising resumed and now resolved?

Im' excited to get to explore a new ship & experience a new cruise line, I've heard other people say its a good one so I hope we find that. Anything we should look out for, definitely try or seek out like finding Homer on QM2. 🙂

Thanks

Wendy

14 minutes ago, wenlyn said:

Hi

Just booked a med cruise on Silhouette. It will be our first time with Celebrity we've done several TA on Cunard and also cruised with P&O & Ambassador. I'm hoping people here can answer a few little questions and share any insider knowledge that could make our experience the best it can be.

We are in one of the angled obstruceted view balconies on deck 6 (cos all the V2's had gone in less than 48 hours of seeing the deal!) I've seen a photo of the view and I think that will be fine for us as we are used to the sheltered balconies on QM2 My big question regarding this is can people on deck 5 look up at you?  Is there anything else we should know about this type of cabin - I can see from the deck plan its near the lifts.

Are there facilities in the cabin to make hot tea or coffee? Do they have cotton wool ballsl/cotten buds in the bathrooms? 

Our price was AI but I can see that lots of drinks are priced just over the inclusive price limit (classic) though I think it'll probably just pay the difference rather than upgrade as the price difference is unlikely to exceed the upgrade cost. Unless anyone thinks that logic is flawed? I'm a little concerned reading reviews about difficulty getting served drinks especially in the MDR. Is that a real problem or just an isolated experience? Or perhaps a post covid hiccup ascruising resumed and now resolved?

Im' excited to get to explore a new ship & experience a new cruise line, I've heard other people say its a good one so I hope we find that. Anything we should look out for, definitely try or seek out like finding Homer on QM2. 🙂

Thanks

Wendy

We have sailed in the type of cabin that you refer to.  When I was on the balcony, I could see people on their  verandas.  I still have some "impressions' of what was seen.  That is a drawback of those rooms.  Just look out at the water and you won't be surprised.  People can see you if you are towards the end of the oversized balcony.

There were no cotton balls in the bathroom. Your logic on the drink package is right on.  We usually inform our server what package we have and let them make recommendations.  Otherwise, pay the different plus  20% service fee.

• Like 1

Regarding the people on deck 5, if you are standing at the rail of the balcony then anyone walking below on deck 5 could likely see you.

There ae no cotton balls provided in the cabin.

If you are sailing from Southampton then there are tea making facilities, from other ports normanllu not provided.

If you find after a couple of day your paying the difference in the cost of drinks is exceeding the cost to upgrade to the premium package you can upgrade on the ship for the day remaining on your cruise.

• Like 1

As stated, we just sailed Silhouette out of Southampton and a kettle was in the room other ports not typically. I will say many of the Brits we spoke with said they could not get a good cup of tea on board. . I can't confirm as I drink coffee and with the beverage package I order mostly lattes. We've never done P&O but I understand they obviously cater to a British crowd. On Celebrity I think you'll find it split between Amercian and British.

Most European cruises are port heavy and a lot of time spent off ship so beverage package upgrade can be challenging getting your money's worth and better to pay for overage.

Cocktail and or sommelier service in the dining room can be good or just meh. I found this last trip the sommelier service was very good and we had My Time Dining so we had a few different ones. Cocktail is probably the most challenging. We typically grab a bevergae at a bar prior and either get a drink to bring to the dining room or we are ready for wine with dinner anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I am also from your part of Suffolk! Small world. I think you will love Silhouette, a beautiful ship, lots ot enjoy. 
Being on the hump is usually quite nice! We love the angled balconies and views. 

Things to enjoy - Cafe al Bacio, lovely coffees, pyramid tea bags, and free pastries, cookies etc daily… 

Sunset Bar, in the evening, for a lovely view of the wake, and a drink.

Murano for a special meal, it really is worth the upcharge.

Lawn club, for a more homely casual meal, again, we love this as a change from the main dining room, the warm cookie dough dessert or carrot cake are soooo good! 😊 

And if you like cocktails, try the Martini bar, Lemondrop martini, frescatini, whatever flavour you can think of, they have it! Try them all….

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 1

Thank you all. It's good to have the kettle question resolved 🙂 The input is helpful. My husband has no interest in finding out about things before hand but will faff & moan if things don't go as he expects (he's actually easygoing, it just doesn't sound like it 😂) So to make my holiday more enjoyable I do all the finding out I can before we set sail and that way I can prepare him or ignore him as I won't be flustered lol. 

Small world Ladylemondrop! I will certainly go & try out your reccomendations 🙂

Skippyhop - we are in 6242. The TA showed me a photo which seemed fine from a looking out pov I just wasn't sure about the other angles. I suppose another thing is are crew likely to walk past at balcony level? 

Another question would be does anyone know if its troubled by ship /air con noise? I found a review that claimed it was so bad they asked to be moved  which probably wouldn't trouble me but He isn't as good as blanking out things he doesn't want to hear as I am 

Thanks for the help ful replies 

20 minutes ago, wenlyn said:

Thank you all. It's good to have the kettle question resolved 🙂 The input is helpful. My husband has no interest in finding out about things before hand but will faff & moan if things don't go as he expects (he's actually easygoing, it just doesn't sound like it 😂) So to make my holiday more enjoyable I do all the finding out I can before we set sail and that way I can prepare him or ignore him as I won't be flustered lol. 

Skippyhop - we are in 6242. The TA showed me a photo which seemed fine from a looking out pov I just wasn't sure about the other angles. I suppose another thing is are crew likely to walk past at balcony level? 

Another question would be does anyone know if its troubled by ship /air con noise? I found a review that claimed it was so bad they asked to be moved  which probably wouldn't trouble me but He isn't as good as blanking out things he doesn't want to hear as I am 

Huh?....Most wives say their husbands never listen>..?

Well I think that's what they say....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You don’t say if you are sailing from Southampton. If you are, then, as others have said, you will have a hostess tray in your cabin with a kettle etc.

We have done several Celebrity cruises in other parts of the world and have always been supplied with a kettle by our cabin steward when I have asked. 

I bring our own insulated mugs, spoons, favourite instant coffee and tea bags. We drink both beverages without milk and sugar but these are easily obtained in the buffet.

Love our freshly brewed cuppas first thing in the morning….really sets us up for the day!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wenlyn said:

AC noise can happen on any ship and is usually isolated to a room or a part of the ship. We were on Silhouette a few weeks ago on a Baltic cruise out of Southampton and had no issues with noise. 

As for tea your room has facilities but it's best to use bottled water and bring your own teabags to get it how you want it. Cafe al Bacio also has tea which is included in your drinks package plus there's tea in the buffet again if the brand isn't to your liking bring some with you, the brand was Bigelow a US brand when we were on as they still had US stocks but I imagine they will start to stock UK brands by now as the US stock runs out. I liked the tea much better than Lipton's which is sometimes in the US and very weak. 

10 minutes ago, Obobru said:

AC noise can happen on any ship and is usually isolated to a room or a part of the ship. We were on Silhouette a few weeks ago on a Baltic cruise out of Southampton and had no issues with noise. 

As for tea your room has facilities but it's best to use bottled water and bring your own teabags to get it how you want it. Cafe al Bacio also has tea which is included in your drinks package plus there's tea in the buffet again if the brand isn't to your liking bring some with you, the brand was Bigelow a US brand when we were on as they still had US stocks but I imagine they will start to stock UK brands by now as the US stock runs out. I liked the tea much better than Lipton's which is sometimes in the US and very weak. 

Yes hopefully someone on here may have direct experience of 6242 and will know about that rooms noises.

I lived in the States for a while so I'm familiar with their brands so will take my own to be on the safe side 🙂

21 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Every X cruise I’ve ever gone on I’ve requested a kettle. I always take my own teabags. Twinings everyday. 

I believe there are alternatives in the Ocean View buffet.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 8:15 PM, skippyhop said:

Here you go photos of the your cabin over the balcony. There is a crew walkway but the crew will need to be v v tall to see into your cabin.

IMG_0816.png

Thank you so much for taking the time to find & post this! I can certainly live with that

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2023 at 2:10 PM, wenlyn said:

Just an FYI.  The “classic pkg”, at the martini bar you will only have 3 choices of martinis to choose from ( lemon drop not one of them), also they will be in a two ounce glass, not the usual three ounce! Happy cruising!
Catherine 

On 8/10/2023 at 3:01 AM, newfiegirl4 said:

Just an FYI.  The “classic pkg”, at the martini bar you will only have 3 choices of martinis to choose from ( lemon drop not one of them), also they will be in a two ounce glass, not the usual three ounce! Happy cruising!
Catherine 

Thanks for that Catherine. I thought I'd read you couldn't get any martinis on the package so I'm excited to hear there are some I can get albeit smaller versions. I'm happy to stump up the extra to try the lemondrop 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, wenlyn said:

Hi

Thanks

Wendy

Keep an eye out for “flash sales” on your cruise.  The decision to upgrade to premium is all about the price.  Just upgraded for $9.99 a day with a flash sale (50% off) and I know it will definitely be worth it for me.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

Keep an eye out for “flash sales” on your cruise.  The decision to upgrade to premium is all about the price.  Just upgraded for $9.99 a day with a flash sale (50% off) and I know it will definitely be worth it for me.  

That’s great news for you. Not much of a sale for us Canadians. I just checked and it’s $25.50 a day to upgrade to the premium pkg. it says on the website a 5% pre savings cruise deal…lol

12 minutes ago, newfiegirl4 said:

That’s great news for you. Not much of a sale for us Canadians. I just checked and it’s $25.50 a day to upgrade to the premium pkg. it says on the website a 5% pre savings cruise deal…lol

The 50% off flash sales were on last week on some cruises. Someone posted it here on CC so I just lucked out.  Keep checking!