Your favorite thing about cruising with MSC?

CoasterGuy

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Your confusing picadillos (Urban Dictionary) with peccadilloes. Common mistake.

Not at all, good sir. 😃

One definition of peccadilloes is "little sins," which are definitely worth hiding in some of the Red Sea ports.

You see, mine was a two-tiered bon mot, having both innuendo and commentary on certain theo-monarchies.

And, if you are thinking of responding with any cheeky comments about "peccadilloes innuendo," I must pre-emptively say...

cary-grant-get-out.gif.a35d20ea2ab64f308c40ed0f6f759910.gif

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Not at all, good sir. 😃

One definition of peccadilloes is "little sins," which are definitely worth hiding in some of the Red Sea ports.

You see, mine was a two-tiered bon mot, having both innuendo and commentary on certain theo-monarchies.

And, if you are thinking of responding with any cheeky comments about "peccadilloes innuendo," I must pre-emptively say...

cary-grant-get-out.gif.a35d20ea2ab64f308c40ed0f6f759910.gif

I understand. " I represent to you all, the "sins" you have never had the courage to commit." And for that "you will always be fond of me." Oscar Wilde

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Some packages I see online include the Easy Drink Package. Is there a way to upgrade to the Premium? Also we normally sail Norwegian and get the Starbucks specialty coffees included. Does MSC have something similar as far as specialty coffees and are they included in the drink packages?

On 7/6/2023 at 4:11 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

They are paid to fain interest.

While you may think they are paid to feign interest, my husband and I were fain to answer the routine question asked of us in the buffet the second day of a cruise about  how we were enjoying our cruise.

Once we replied very much and went on to say we were repeat MSC cruisers, the officer immediately asked about the previous MSC cruises and what brought us back.

At our response that covered a comparison to other cruise lines we routinely have sailed (Celebrity, Princess, HAL, Azamara, Viking Ocean) and that in some intangible ways, the MSC experience was equal to the on board experiences of those ships, the gentleman whipped a little notebook out of his inside pocket of his uniform jacket. 

He told us he routinely met each day with a group of upper officers to discuss any observations that they had concerning the passengers and any feedback they had received from passengers.  "Would we mind answering more questions and, after any discussion by the officer group, answering any follow up questions?"

We replied that we were happy (fain) to. No feigning was involved on our part or the officer's part.

Everyday after that, he would find us at lunch in the buffet, take out his notebook, and give us questions from the officer discussion.

The last night of the cruise we found that delivered to our inside Bella cabin was, at the time, the coveted chocolate ship reserved for the highest tier loyalty passengers (we were gold as we never bothered to status match to any of our high loyalty status on our lines - not important to us). Accompanying the ship was a hand written note thanking us for our time and information.

The note was signed by the captain, hotel director, and cruise director,

So while your interactions may be feigned, this experience and others we have had have been fained by the crew,  staff and us. 

• Like 3

On 7/6/2023 at 5:38 PM, shipgeeks said:

Along those lines, I continue to hope that MSC will stop doing so many short cruises, many of which seem to have the worst behavior, and offer, at a minimum, 7 + 7.  Currently the only way to sail for more than 7 nights is to tack on a 4 and a 3.  No thanks.

I agree.

I am waiting for the 7+ day itineraries to reappear.

I also would not be upset if those itineraries skipped the private island.

As I have noted before, when we book again I will have to upgrade to Fantasica because Bella is now  strictly a guarantee cabin rate.

28 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Everyday after that, he would find us at lunch in the buffet, take out his notebook, and give us questions from the officer discussion.

"We love old travelers: We love to hear them prate, drivel and lie; we love them for their asinine vanity, their ability to bore, their luxuriant fertility of imagination, their startling, brilliant, overwhelming mendacity." Mark Twain

Fain/feign ... " I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. " Mark Twain 

Thank you for keeping the little gray cells working looking for a good retort.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

It's true, though! It always felt like a huge accomplishment if I could get properly toasted bread and butter simultaneously. I could often get one or the other, but not both.

Best part: if you order white bread with room service breakfast, that is what you get. Plain, white bread. Apparently, that's what Italians think Americans want to eat for breakfast? Not toasted and no butter. Just plain white bread....

My husband even tried writing in "toasted" on the card, but to no avail.

Yes, it is a cultural thing.

Bread to Italians is meant to be enjoyed in  its plain state or might be used to sop up a gravy or plate juice. (And never served with pasta, and never destroyed by butter and garlic as a pasta accompaniment). 

Butter is not used in many parts of Italy as a condiment or in cooking. 

If butter is used in cooking, it is a French influence in the northern part of Italy.

If butter is used, it is unsalted.

Sometimes at breakfast, the fresh bread (not dried out by toasting) is enjoyed with a jam or marmalade. Butter might be used, but more often it is not.

Sometimes rusk might be used, but that is  twice baked bread, not dry heat toasted.

And not all Americans want butter on their toast. I, for one, will sent toast back if it appears at my table drenched in butter.

Question: Do  you really want a cold by the time it reached your room dried out by toasting piece of bread or a slice of fresh baked bread?

• Like 1

We had several experiences similar to Homosassa's, re conversations with officers, instigated by them rather than us.

As a former teacher of adult classes, I was expected to take an interest in all my students, to learn what "worked" for them, and to care about their wellbeing, whether I personally liked them or not.  Is that feigning an interest?  Does that make it insincere?

I suspect the YC butlers have to feign an interest in some of their passengers, too, lol.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I suspect the YC butlers have to feign an interest in some of their passengers,

Make that 'ALL' their passengers. How many times does one, in conversation with fellow passengers, hear how this or that crew member "is a personal friend of mine" after having been on a past cruise ?  Malarkey.  On one cruise years ago we noticed extraordinary treatment afforded a couple by staff. The couple had been on board before and  when the Head waiter came around to our table I questioned him in front of our tablemates. "Our those people Royalty ?" I asked. "Yes" was his reply, "Royal pains in the ass".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, it is a cultural thing.

Bread to Italians is meant to be enjoyed in  its plain state or might be used to sop up a gravy or plate juice. (And never served with pasta, and never destroyed by butter and garlic as a pasta accompaniment). 

Butter is not used in many parts of Italy as a condiment or in cooking. 

If butter is used in cooking, it is a French influence in the northern part of Italy.

If butter is used, it is unsalted.

Sometimes at breakfast, the fresh bread (not dried out by toasting) is enjoyed with a jam or marmalade. Butter might be used, but more often it is not.

Sometimes rusk might be used, but that is  twice baked bread, not dry heat toasted.

And not all Americans want butter on their toast. I, for one, will sent toast back if it appears at my table drenched in butter.

Question: Do  you really want a cold by the time it reached your room dried out by toasting piece of bread or a slice of fresh baked bread?

I personally never order toast with room service breakfast, because in my experience, room service breakfast on any cruise like is cold by the time it reaches your room. I do think it's SUPER weird to even offer white bread as an option on the room service breakfast card, if there is no intention of toasting it. No human, from any country that I am aware of, wants a slice of plain white bread ever, under any circumstances, for any meal. I think plain white bread is pretty unique to the US, but even we only eat it toasted or as part of a sandwich....

11 hours ago, mattyone77 said:

Some packages I see online include the Easy Drink Package. Is there a way to upgrade to the Premium? Also we normally sail Norwegian and get the Starbucks specialty coffees included. Does MSC have something similar as far as specialty coffees and are they included in the drink packages?

You can get specialty coffees from any of the bars (they have espresso machines with which to make cappuccino, Americano, lattes, etc.) included in the Easy Plus package. The only place you can't use the Easy Plus package for specialty coffees is the fancy chocolate shop onboard.

image.png.c99921962fb7254d83adb33ea5ea32f1.png

11 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

You can get specialty coffees from any of the bars (they have espresso machines with which to make cappuccino, Americano, lattes, etc.) included in the Easy Plus package. The only place you can't use the Easy Plus package for specialty coffees is the fancy chocolate shop onboard.

Thanks for the info much appreciated

On 7/5/2023 at 5:25 PM, CoasterGuy said:

That seems to be a sticking point with some who have tried the mainstream lines and then try MSC. They don't like how different the food is. If and when I try MSC I'll just have to go in with an open mind and expect some things to be different than what I'm used to. 

This actually sounds AMAZING to me, despite the fact I'm an american. I find it annoying that you can't walk into a store anywhere without being greeted within the first five seconds. 😁Hi! What can I help you with today.😃    So annoying. Can't you just let me browse for a few minutes and then if I need help I'll ask you?! for goodness sake. 

I am scottish and I LOVE the fact when we go to America shop staff are so friendly - this country they can be very miserable hahahaha

On 7/9/2023 at 10:03 PM, JamieLogical said:

Thanks for that information! We just booked MSC Meriviglia and we got the premium package so I think we will be covered. Does the premium beverage package include the chocolate shop and gelato/crepe places? I am thinking all those would be ala carte?

Hello,

Chocolate shop, no. Crepe place I don't think so. The test is whether it's a 'Named' ('Signature') place ie "Jean-Philipe Chocolat & Cafe" is a no-no.

Regards,

Cublet

On 7/14/2023 at 4:52 AM, julsngraham said:

I am scottish and I LOVE the fact when we go to America shop staff are so friendly - this country they can be very miserable hahahaha

You can be not miserable in addition to not greeting me and trying to force an interaction that isn't needed.

Edited by CoasterGuy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 3:53 AM, JamieLogical said:

I personally never order toast with room service breakfast, because in my experience, room service breakfast on any cruise like is cold by the time it reaches your room. I do think it's SUPER weird to even offer white bread as an option on the room service breakfast card, if there is no intention of toasting it. No human, from any country that I am aware of, wants a slice of plain white bread ever, under any circumstances, for any meal. I think plain white bread is pretty unique to the US, but even we only eat it toasted or as part of a sandwich....

My very British friend would demur.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaisonRose said:

My very British friend would demur.

Beans AND toast. Years of living in British Colony Bermuda so I can confirm the absolute love of white bread. Unsure why they toast it before dumping on the sickly sweet Heinz beans because it turns soggy in a heartbeat. 
warmest Amy