Luminae Dining Room

crash3x

Its been a few years since I have been on the Reflection.  Can you still order from  MDR, Blu or Luminae menus .   I often find I will order from other menus sometimes because the Luminae can often have a many dishes I cannot eat.    I know when I was on the Apex the can't do this because they to far from the MDRs  so we end up having to chase places to eat to meet my needs

As @bigbenboys said ordering from the MDR on aM & S class ships is possible as the kitchens are located together.  On E class ships the kitchens are at opposite ends of the ship and decks apart so ordering from the MDR isn’t an option.  

If we want something from Blu we see if it is possible to dine in Blu that night.  

• Like 1

It has always been our experience in Luminae to be able to order from all menus on ships other than E class.

However, friends who are currently on the Millennium are reporting that the Maître d’ has not allowed this. No idea of reasoning behind this. Hoping this is not a new change. 

49 minutes ago, sunpsyche said:

It has always been our experience in Luminae to be able to order from all menus on ships other than E class.

However, friends who are currently on the Millennium are reporting that the Maître d’ has not allowed this. No idea of reasoning behind this. Hoping this is not a new change. 

Do you know if they are just not allowing ordering from BLU?  I heard no problem with main dining menu just sometimes they do not like to allow ordering from BLU.

29 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Do you know if they are just not allowing ordering from BLU?  I heard no problem with main dining menu just sometimes they do not like to allow ordering from BLU.

They said no orders from ANY other menu…mind boggling! It may be specific to this Maître d’.  Stated he’s a bit odd and the wait staff seem terrified of him. 

3 minutes ago, sunpsyche said:

They said no orders from ANY other menu…mind boggling! It may be specific to this Maître d’.  Stated he’s a bit odd and the wait staff seem terrified of him. 

The Hotel Director should be made aware of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The Hotel Director should be made aware of this.

I agree. I did send an email to new CEO who replied she hadn’t heard of the policy. She just emailed again that she was thankful for the information that this is allowed and she will have head of F& B reiterate this to fleet. 

To OP.. sorry for hijacking thread!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunpsyche said:

I agree. I did send an email to new CEO who replied she hadn’t heard of the policy. She just emailed again that she was thankful for the information that this is allowed and she will have head of F& B reiterate this to fleet. 

To OP.. sorry for hijacking thread!

Did your friends try pushing him on this?  I know some just do not want to have to have the staff running around? I am on Millie in October and this is one of the things we are looking forward to.  

37 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Did your friends try pushing him on this?  I know some just do not want to have to have the staff running around? I am on Millie in October and this is one of the things we are looking forward to.  

I was on Millennium in March. Alex was the Luminae maitre'd. This sure wasn't his policy. I never asked to see Blu's menu but I had no problem order off the MDR menu as I wished.

By the way, Alex was great. Constantly pitching in at tables that needed help or making sure wait staff was addressing everything. He was a teacher and leader to his staff while always being courteous and professional to the diners. It was impressive to watch him work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

No, they’re pretty laid back, but will definitely speak their mind when they deem necessary. We’ve cruised together a lot in suites and they know I like more vegetarian options.

Thanks for bringing this topic up as this was on my mind in my upcoming cruise on the Millie from Yokohama to Singapore this coming November.

Important for me to know as one of my companions is diabetic.

We were on the Infinity (also M class) in March and regularly ordered off all three menus - sometimes even at the same meal (to try all three lobster preparations).

Edited by mahasamatman
  • Like 2

I was on Millennium in April and the maitre’d in Luminae (Fernando?) said no to Blu menu but the MDR menu was open to us. It was kind of off-putting because though I was in a Sky Suite, my son and his spouse were in an Aqua Sky Suite. I suppose we could have asked about getting a reservation in Blu. 

1 hour ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I was on Millennium in April and the maitre’d in Luminae (Fernando?) said no to Blu menu but the MDR menu was open to us. It was kind of off-putting because though I was in a Sky Suite, my son and his spouse were in an Aqua Sky Suite. I suppose we could have asked about getting a reservation in Blu. 

This is just such a weird, new occurrence as I related previously.. We have always been able to order off All  other menus, our servers even gleefully presenting the entirety of menus. In addition, they made clear we could special order whatever we wanted the day before.  I hope this is not the trend for the future. 

On the Summit a few months ago by about the third day, the waiters brought all the menus.  Or maybe it was the Infinity (was on that the month before) or both.

Also, on the Summit, there was one night it was so loud in Luminae (there was a large loud group there) - usually we sat away from them, but that night there was only a near table - the Maitre'd walked us up to the Blu, where it was quiet.  We also ordered off the Luminae menu there.  (that was an exception because he felt bad)

On M class ships all dining rooms share the same galley although there are separate "lines" so it is not that inconvenient to get something  from Blu but from my experience they don't always allow I'm guessing because the Blu menu like Luminae is cooked to order where the MDR they can just pick it up off the line.

On S class ships the Blu galley is on deck 5 and is very inconvenient to get to from Deck 3 Luminae.  I've never been offered Blu menu there.  But again Luminae and MDR share the same galley on deck 3.

19 hours ago, agape01 said:

Thanks for bringing this topic up as this was on my mind in my upcoming cruise on the Millie from Yokohama to Singapore this coming November.

Important for me to know as one of my companions is diabetic.

In addition to being able to order from MDR menu they should say they have food issues and the maitre 'd will discuss food options for the next night.   With 24 hours notice they can facilitate most requirements.

• Like 1