Posted on Another Site...Ruby Princess Hits Dock in SF

Jaymuxman

3 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

It's seems to be not a problem about high or low tide, but the strong currents of both.

Following on from your comment for those not in the know tides and currents go hand in hand so to speak.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

The Past Track shown on Marine Traffic is extremely unusual. There were clearly several failed attempts to maneuver the ship into position. Typically this pattern shows the ship moving the bow southerly ahead of Pier 27, then swinging the bow to port as the stern approaches the dock. That track out to the north is completely abnormal for this maneuver.

image.png.1fb4c698ba6d0fd16983c534eefa2552.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

The Past Track shown on Marine Traffic is extremely unusual. There were clearly several failed attempts to maneuver the ship into position. Typically this pattern shows the ship moving the bow southerly ahead of Pier 27, then swinging the bow to port as the stern approaches the dock. That track out to the north is completely abnormal for this maneuver.

image.png.1fb4c698ba6d0fd16983c534eefa2552.png

I wonder what the current direction and velocity was at the time and the wind direction and velocity at the time. Looking at the history at NOAA the winds were gusting and changing directions quite frequently...not ideal for a high sided vessel in a confined space.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

The photos show the damaged dock bumper located on the outer part of pier 27.  So if you view the YouTube video from Marine Traffic Past Track posted by Outerdog, at the 10 second mark the left rear of the ship collides with the pier. After the collision, the ship gets pushed back out by the tugs, and that’s why you see that “abnormal maneuver.”

D6F23A8F-9BFF-45CD-8B41-6A8E43F0568C.jpeg

5277F633-473B-428D-9900-E58A5477EBA8.jpeg

Edited by sfpd3000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’m booked on the Ruby to AK on 9/4…hoping they can get repairs done and cleared to sail by then. I’m traveling with a friend who’s never been on a cruise or to AK before. It would a shame if she had to wait another year. 

Found this on another site:

Ruby Princess

Next update in the morning. Not leaving tonight.

Adding Mike Shields post to mine. 

I couldn’t make out the entire speech. 

“He said if repairs are completed tonight and approved we would leave sometime tonight.  Either way next update is in the morning with revised itinerary based on departure time”

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Okay, I'm heading to bed. Someone fill me in on how this episode ends in the morning. 🤣 The drama of it all since 6am this morning! I haven't checked my phone this often since my last funny Facebook post when I was checking likes! 😆

• Haha 1

Last Night :

Princess Cruises is in continued discussions with the U.S. Coast Guard regarding clearance for Ruby Princess to depart San Francisco, but a departure timeframe has not yet been confirmed. The safety of our guests and crew remain our top priority, and Ruby Princess will depart once the ship is deemed by U.S. Coast as fit to sail. The cruise line's technical experts and shoreside team will remain working on this situation, and the ship will set sail from San Francisco should clearance to depart be received at any time tonight. Additional updates regarding the ship's status and revised itinerary will be provided in the morning. Princess will also be providing a goodwill gesture of compensation once the full effect of the necessary changes is known

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Footage at the time of the incident.

Bar pilot is under investigation.

Thanks for sharing this video!

Someone made a serious mistake. I have never seen a ship come into a dock at that kind of angle. You can for sure hear the point of contact when ship hit the pier 😯

• Like 2

Currently on board the Ruby.  Still docked at SF.  No update from the Captain yet this morning.   Staff have been professional, efficient and closed-lipped about the situation.

In his announcement last night at 9:30 pm, the Captain said whatever happens there will be financial compensation for us due to the unfortunate circumstances.

(The crew has been incredibly positive and cheerful—it hasn’t been easy for them!  I understand people’s frustration but it’s not the bar/IC workers’ fault!)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Normally, only the Captain would be operating the propeller/stern thruster/bow thruster controls on the console .... in this case on the port bridge wing while approaching the berth on the port side. Perhaps the Staff Captain (or other Senior Navigation Officer) could operate the controls at the Captain's discretion, but not likely in this Pier 27 SF docking scenario. As I understand normal bridge procedures, the Pilot would never touch the controls, only give advice to the Captain. The Pilot may be communicating instructions to the tug Captains however.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Currently on board the Ruby.  Still docked at SF.  No update from the Captain yet this morning.   Staff have been professional, efficient and closed-lipped about the situation.

In his announcement last night at 9:30 pm, the Captain said whatever happens there will be financial compensation for us due to the unfortunate circumstances.

(The crew has been incredibly positive and cheerful—it hasn’t been easy for them!  I understand people’s frustration but it’s not the bar/IC workers’ fault!)

Who is the Captain on this ship?

Best of luck to all of you.

59 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

Live webcam of the ship still at Pier 27. It looks foggy and cold in SF this morning.image.thumb.png.f595f5a4ee555d53a6225bdb74178b9d.png

Hence Mark Twain’s claim of “the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

My guess would be the crew working in  hotel/hospitality capacities don’t know any more than the passengers. 

• Like 1

The Captain has to understand all of the forces acting on his ship which include wind (aerodynamic) forces on the superstructure, current (hydrodynamic) forces on the hull, propeller (thrust) forces, bow thruster forces, stern thruster forces, tug forces, and the resistance forces of the hull at the direction of movement.

• Thanks 2

Update from Captain at 8 am:  confident that we will be cleared and sailing this morning.  No passengers allowed off the ship due to fact we will be sailing as soon as we get clearance from the Coast Guard.  Once the full extent of the impact of this circumstance on the itinerary is known, guests will be compensated.

So it looks like we will be going north to Alaska at some point this morning!

Next update scheduled for 10 am.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

So it looks like we will be going north to Alaska at some point this morning!

Next update scheduled for 10 am.

Good news indeed.  SFPD would have been called in for traffic control if there had been a need for disembarkation.  So far, I have not received any word on having to go in.  So it looks like once USCG clears the ship, you’ll be on your way.  Happy sailing!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Tide data .... looks like ebb tide at 0612 070623. Tidal range of 8.0 feet. Could have been strong current forces on stern of Ruby Princess in the direction of the berth. The USCG will no doubt issue a report at some future time.

image.png.a711357a942057b2406989798cbf16f8.png

• Like 2