Posted on Another Site...Ruby Princess Hits Dock in SF

Jaymuxman

The main channels used by ships are dredged to account for shifting bottom conditions in order to make sure they are good to go. The port folks aren't new at the game.

• Like 1

We were on the Discovery Princess April 8 Coastal Cruise and scheduled to arrive in SF at 7AM.The day prior the Captain announced because of strong currents in the Bay near Pier 27 caused by tidal action he was going to dock around 1AM. We were out on the balcony at 12:15 AM taking photos going under the Golden Gate. Guess he didn't want to take any chances. Don't know if the Ruby situation was caused by the currents. 

The SF Bar Pilots have been around for about 170 years and even pilot ships going to Sacramento and Stockton. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lstone19 said:

Nothing official I've seen and I don't know what the availability was before this morning but as of right now, all Ruby Princess cruises through the departure on 8/15 (which we are booked on) are unavailable to book.

We are booked for 8/5 and now wonder what princess is going to do.  

Almost every country requires the use of local pilots by large or foreign ships in the harbors and inland waters (there are exemptions for local ships such as ferries that are regularly in the same waters). A cruise out of Vancouver going up through the Seymour Narrows to Whittier will have a Vancouver pilot on board until well near the border and shortly after that, an Alaska Southeast pilot boards and stays with the ship until it's out on the Gulf of Alaska (can be on board for four days given the usual itineraries), then a Whittier pilot for the arrival there.

1 hour ago, JerseyShore said:

We just got off the Ruby this morning.   I feel sorry for the passengers arriving. So far there is no word on a departure time or if at all

I would have simply boarded when they allowed me to do so. Then I would have had lunch with a glass of wine in MDR. After that I'd order a drink and relax while they decided what's going on. If they then sail all is well. If they decide we have to disembark and go home at least I've had a nice lunch with wine and a drink (or two) on Princess.

pint.gif

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 25

5 hours ago, lstone19 said:

Nothing official I've seen and I don't know what the availability was before this morning but as of right now, all Ruby Princess cruises through the departure on 8/15 (which we are booked on) are unavailable to book.

Also on the 8/15 sailing - keeping fingers crossed.

It's 16:45 and there are no signs of the Ruby Princess approaching the Golden Gate yet.  She's in berth with the Carnival Miracle, and it hasn't left yet either.  Having sailed from SF before, ships are usually sailing under the Bridge at this time because the tides are right.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 164720.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ldtr said:

First they will most likely need a coast guard inspection to determine if it sea worthy. Then assessment about the immediate repairs needed to get it sea worthy, then a matter a doing the repairs if any. Would not be surprised if at best the ship functions like a floating hotel in SF for a couple of days, if there is availability at the pier.

Realize that not all cruise ships can dock at pier 35 if they are too big. That’s why some ships can only dock at pier 27. 

Tom😀

3 hours ago, SnowBitte said:

just got home from dropping off brother and SIL. Apparently, they already checked in but knew nothing about the accident or delayed departure!

I hope they make it!  Alaska is beautiful!

The Ruby will not be sailing tonight at all.  Too many things need to happen before it can sail such as repairs, Coast Guard inspection of completed repairs, etc.  If it does sail in the next day or 2, most likely one or more ports will be missed.   Just my humble opinion.

Edited by TM
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

It's 16:45 and there are no signs of the Ruby Princess approaching the Golden Gate yet.  She's in berth with the Carnival Miracle, and it hasn't left yet either.  Having sailed from SF before, ships are usually sailing under the Bridge at this time because the tides are right.

Tide times vary from day to day. They are not on an exact 24 hour cycle. So just because 5pm was the right time one day does not mean it's 5pm every day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The Ruby is relaying its position as being docked.