Posted on Another Site...Ruby Princess Hits Dock in SF

Jaymuxman

Just now, SwimCarrie said:

Would you be waiting at the hotel had that not happened this morning? I confused about how the issue with hitting the pier has anything to do with your shuttle? Unless they are specifically delaying you and you had a set time to leave that has already passed?

If the ship isn't going to sail why would they have people go to the pier?  Easier to keep them at the hotel where they are some what comfortable and if need be find them airfare and send them home. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, waltd said:

If the ship isn't going to sail why would they have people go to the pier?  Easier to keep them at the hotel where they are some what comfortable and if need be find them airfare and send them home. 

Makes sense. 

My guess is they will embark people and stay at the port until they are sure what the next step is. Many people will not have accommodations otherwise. It’s a little more complicated than just letting them stay at their hotels. Many hotels in SFO will be booked up at this time of year.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 5

Just now, voljeep said:

Get them ALL on board. Feed them, let em drink, shows - let them sleep - all while working on the 'plan' for the next day - repairs or disembark

I'm sure lots of people are on pins and needles waiting to hear! 

• Like 2

When the Pacific Princess hit the breakwater going into Nice, it took more than six hours for Princess to notify passengers that the current cruise was ending immediately and the next cruise would be cancelled. And that was a gaping hole below the waterline that took out water and sewage. 

Things move slowly when accidents like this occur. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Hopefully the captain didn't "accidentally fall into a lifeboat" and speed away...

Coming in to San Francisco Bay they are under the control of Bay Pilots. If I remember correctly when a ship is heading in to San Francisco Bay a Bay Pilot boards at about 20 Mile Rock. I suspect there will be an official inquiry involving the Bay Pilot, the Master of the Ruby Princess and the tug boat masters.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TM said:

I wonder how quickly the captain will be filing for unemployment.

The captain is not in control coming into San Francisco Bay. See my post #35

The San Francisco Bar Pilot and / or the tug captains will be at risk of penalty.

Some of the tug boats are run aggressively. I once saw a tug take out a number of pilings at the pier across from pier 27. He had applied too much power going astern when attempting to pull a broken fuel barge away from the Grand Princess.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 3

Just now, brisalta said:

The captain is not in control coming into San Francisco Bay. See my post #35

But he assumes overall responsibility for the ship and will most likely pay the price of someone else's mistake.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, TM said:

I wonder how quickly the captain will be filing for unemployment.

Actually the current Commodore (head Captain) was involved in a few ship accidents. One including a brand new Diamond Princess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TM said:

But he assumes overall responsibility for the ship and will most likely pay the price of someone else's mistake.

My understanding is that Bar Pilot is in full command of movements and the captain at that point is under the Bar Pilot.  The San Francisco Bar Pilots are highly trained. It is not expected that the master of a ship that is not permanently in the San Francisco Bay would understand all the weird currents, rocks, shifting sand banks, etc., in the Bay.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 3

I highly doubt anyone will be fired from this unless true negligence can be proven and a record of poor behavior and judgment is documented (and even that might be asking too much, let's be honest). We'll likely forget about this a month from now.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Actually the current Commodore (head Captain) was involved in a few ship accidents. One including a brand new Diamond Princess.

Yep, didn't Nick Nash get coined with an unfavorable nickname? (of which I won't reiterate)

• Like 1

Guest ldtr

First they will most likely need a coast guard inspection to determine if it sea worthy. Then assessment about the immediate repairs needed to get it sea worthy, then a matter a doing the repairs if any. Would not be surprised if at best the ship functions like a floating hotel in SF for a couple of days, if there is availability at the pier.

11 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

I highly doubt anyone will be fired from this unless true negligence can be proven and a record of poor behavior and judgment is documented (and even that might be asking too much, let's be honest). We'll likely forget about this a month from now.

Yep, didn't Nick Nash get coined with an unfavorable nickname? (of which I won't reiterate)

I am still amazed he became Commodore!!! Go figure. I won't mention it either.

16 minutes ago, Coral said:

That is why Captain Nash is also known as Crash Nash

• Haha 1

No additional cruise ships are scheduled to arrive in San Francisco until July 10th and Pier 35 can always be used if the Ruby has to stay for multiple days.  Both berths will not be needed until July 24th.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SnowBitte said:

just got home from dropping off brother and SIL. Apparently, they already checked in but knew nothing about the accident or delayed departure!

Live KRON4 TV is reporting passengers are boarding. Behind the reporter, viewers can see people walking into the terminal.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

Regarding the need for Pilots:  Obviously it's required to have pilots guide the ships into the harbor. In San Francisco bay there are very specific channels that are dredged to make them safe for ships to use. Many people don't realize that the average depth of San Francisco Bay is only 12 to 15 feet. I know that I always thought it was "obviously" much deeper than that. Apparently I was badly mistaken.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, waltd said:

Actually it would be easier to keep them on the ship and if need be issue travel vouchers etc on the ship. If they are no shows at 4 PM it could be claimed that said passengers would have been no shows anyway.

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Regarding the need for Pilots:  Obviously it's required to have pilots guide the ships into the harbor. In San Francisco bay there are very specific channels that are dredged to make them safe for ships to use. Many people don't realize that the average depth of San Francisco Bay is only 12 to 15 feet. I know that I always thought it was "obviously" much deeper than that. Apparently I was badly mistaken.

I thought a cruise ship must have at least 30 ft depth of water, depending on how large the ship is?

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

It is actually a legal requirement that a licensed San Francisco Bay Bar Pilot is used.

My chart shows that Pier 27 has been dredged to 37 feet while the neighboring pier 23 is 23 feet on its pier 27 facing side.

image.png.c3229b4a529b9efc677ed9c26bd20d4f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is true that the average depth is in the 12-15 foot range, but that also includes all the areas next to the shorelines and some of what would be classified as wetlands.  Near the Golden Gate Bridge, the waters have depths of more than 300 feet, for example, and the depth is more than 100 feet between Angel Island and Alcatraz.  It is typically at least 30' in depth in any areas that large ships travel.

Edited by TM
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Coming in to San Francisco Bay they are under the control of Bay Pilots. If I remember correctly when a ship is heading in to San Francisco Bay a Bay Pilot boards at about 20 Mile Rock. I suspect there will be an official inquiry involving the Bay Pilot, the Master of the Ruby Princess and the tug boat masters.

The Captain of the ship is always ultimately responsible.

• Like 2