AA "customer service" number--BE CAREFUL

KKB

Today I clicked on a Google search for AA customer service.

Unbeknownst to me, it redirected a call to  "FlySky9 LLC" 
(the AA 1st 3 digits were 433...but went I looked at my "recents" it says 499...NOT sure how that happened when I clicked on the 433 number)
Thinking I was speaking with AA, asked them to book a flight for me with a travel credit.
In the end they said I needed to pay the taxes on the flight & I gave them my credit card number.
I thought that a bit odd...but I was distracted in picking up my father for an appointment at that point.
Luckily Chase sent me a fraud alert--the amount was double the price they said it would be!
I texted them to Cancel the flight.
Then I noticed that my ENTIRE AA credit is missing from my account.
They asked me for the tickets numbers for this credit. 
I don't know how they could use it, as AA says it has to be used only by the ticketed passenger.

I am aware that I may just be out of luck & wiser from this experience. 
But at least if I can let someone know, perhaps no one else will be screwed over like I was.
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

For a similar story, see this thread and this post within it.

If you need a phone number, for goodness' sake get it from the airline's website, not from Google.

I checked again & realized that I had clicked on "Contact Reservations" on AA site & it sent me to another page...I clicked on the number listed...but somehow it went to a different number.

Not sure if it is an AA issue or my phone. 

AA is helping me right now & honestly, are being wonderful.

Even though the credits aren't showing up in my account she could see them.

The GOOD news is I do appear not to have lost the credits!

But she said I do not have to pay anything, but this "travel company" I inadvertantly called tried to charge me nearly $800. 

I'm usually SO SO careful about things like this...glad for a happy ending. 

(on a side note...when we closed on the home we live in, DH & I received an email from our realtor--same email address, same signature--telling us to fax a check to a number rather than bring it to the closing. Luckily I was too busy at work to deal with it & DH called our realtor--also a friend. Come to find out it is a huge scam. Email IDENTICAL to his, as was signature. Would have been out a life changing amount)

Edited by KKB

39 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

If you need a phone number, for goodness' sake get it from the airline's website, not from Google.

(thx for the other thread...I also have a QANTAS/AA flight booked next year via points...tho via the QANTAS site. It isn't yet listed on AA site & I can't book a seat...I will cal them & check on that too)

100% learned my lesson to double, triple check & when something feels off, go with your gut!

• Thanks 1

I had the same thing happen with Iceland Air.  I googled for a phone number reachable from Prague and the number I called was not them ( though they even answered the phone that way).

I didn't get far down the path because the price they quoted me was higher than what I saw on line.  Something just seemed to be off.

I then went to Icelands website and found a totally different number.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 3:36 PM, Globaliser said:

Since you mentioned it, my credit card company has given me a conditional credit and is still waiting to here back from the "vendor" for their side of the story.  Hopefully this won't result in a loss to me other than some inconvenience. 

My main issue with the airlines is that they make it so darn hard to find their call center number that you need to resist the temptation to do a search on google.  If one does use google, they should limit their search to the appropriate web site.  For example:

"qantas customer support number site: qantas.com"

On 7/6/2023 at 4:12 PM, KKB said:

I checked again & realized that I had clicked on "Contact Reservations" on AA site & it sent me to another page...I clicked on the number listed...but somehow it went to a different number.

Not sure if it is an AA issue or my phone. 

AA is helping me right now & honestly, are being wonderful.

Even though the credits aren't showing up in my account she could see them.

The GOOD news is I do appear not to have lost the credits!

But she said I do not have to pay anything, but this "travel company" I inadvertantly called tried to charge me nearly $800. 

I'm usually SO SO careful about things like this...glad for a happy ending. 

In dealing with my own issues, an American call center agent said that their whole web site gets "cloned" from time to time by criminals.  It's a crazy world that we live in.

On 7/6/2023 at 4:16 PM, KKB said:

(thx for the other thread...I also have a QANTAS/AA flight booked next year via points...tho via the QANTAS site. It isn't yet listed on AA site & I can't book a seat...I will call them & check on that too)

100% learned my lesson to double, triple check & when something feels off, go with your gut!

If you ask, AA will assign seats to you if you have sufficient airline status. 

No kidding about going with your gut.