NCL transfer to airport NYC

zazou

Hello,

We booked a transatlantic from Lisbon to NYC in November to complete our Portugal trip. We are suppose to arrive at 7am.  I'm currently looking at booking my return flight to Quebec City. The choice is at 12h50 or 21h00 at night. I'm sure we will be beat from the travel and will want to be home early and really prefer the 12h50.  Can someone remember how late should be a flight to be able to book an NCL transfer? Otherwise, do you think we can do it comfortably by our own? do you have suggestion for us.  Anyone remember the price of the transfer? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, zazou said:

Hello,

We booked a transatlantic from Lisbon to NYC in November to complete our Portugal trip. We are suppose to arrive at 7am.  I'm currently looking at booking my return flight to Quebec City. The choice is at 12h50 or 21h00 at night. I'm sure we will be beat from the travel and will want to be home early and really prefer the 12h50.  Can someone remember how late should be a flight to be able to book an NCL transfer? Otherwise, do you think we can do it comfortably by our own? do you have suggestion for us.  Anyone remember the price of the transfer? Thanks!

12h50 is fine. 

The speed at which you disembark will be determined on whether you clear customs prior to arriving in NYC. But either a NCL transfer for taxi would be fine. For the transfer, if they ask you when your flight is, say 13h00.... just in case there is a restriction. 

The link above is not relevant because it talks about getting a transfer from the airport to the port... you want the opposite. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The link above is not relevant because it talks about getting a transfer from the airport to the port... you want the opposite.

My mistake, I misread...

You didn’t mention which NYC airport you’re flying out of; Newark, LaGuardia, or JFK. 

Departing from any of those 3 airports at 1250 should be no problem whether you use NCL’s transportation or your own (Uber/Lyft or cab). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

The problem with booking a NCL transfer for an early flight is that the buses don’t leave for the airport until they are full. We’ve almost missed flights later than 12:50.

Yeah, I hate the NCL transfer from port to airport.  We've waited around for over an hour in different lines and then at the airport you stop at each terminal and, if the first is not your airline, wait some more.  Folks need to wake up and join the Uber/Lyft world.  It's a nicer world.  😎

• Like 2

9 hours ago, omahabob said:

Just hope they don't show up in a Smart Car when you have lots of luggage.

You just need to order an XL.  Those are always big enough for three adults with luggage.  If you have "lots of luggage," then you may need to consider something else (perhaps taking less luggage next time).  Have you used Uber or Lyft?

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

@zazou  Bonjour.. A few thoughts - since you are doing a TA out of Portugal and disembarking in NYC, you will be going thru CBP on arriva in New York, not somewhere else) - making a 12:50 non-stop from NY airport to Quebec should be doable, assuming ship isn't delayed (and, going to assume that you will carry travel insurance ... silly not to, IMHO) and you can do the "Express" Self Walk-Off.  Most of time, you "should" be outside in the clear, curbside & ready for ground transfer. 

NCL airport transfer might or might NOT be your best option or plan to get to LGA (or EWR) - last I checked, there are no non-stops to/from JFK.  Minimum time is 5 hours for domestic, 6 hours for international (in your case, I believe) scheduled flight departure as acceptable for NCL's bus transfer - most recent charge/cost was about $38 USD per person, subject to change without notice (of course) or $76 for 2 travelers & luggage.  Yellow taxi on a metered fare, including tolls & surcharges and tips, etc. to LGA should be about the same - higher for EWR and it is crossing stateline into NJ plus additional travel time due to distance.  

Uber/Lyft is your own option, subject to surge pricing due to demands with ships at the port - seen that on our last few cruises - savings over taxi or car service will not amount to much, if any ... and, can be higher.  There are no "Uber, or Lyft" dispatcher(s) working outside the pier - scammers hovering & flashing "Uber" on their iPhone or smartphone offering rides without waiting - ignore & decline their "kindness" & only use your own App for riding.  Over at the East Coast forum for NY, we recommend consider the services of Dial 7 and/or Carmel (usually a few dollars less than D7) and nowadays, pre-book it ahead, but you see that your disembarkation might be delayed, call the 24/7 dispatcher on duty once you are sailing into NY harbour or up the Hudson River, and ask them to move them the scheduled pickup time by 30 or 45 minutes, etc. - they are usually happy to do so at no extra charge or penalty ... and, once you are ready & outside, call for the car/driver to come toward the pier for pickup to the airport (yes, there is an App for Dial 7 and Carmel, works like "Cabify" app in Spain or Portugal, etc.) 

Recommend/suggest that you call Shorex desk directly at 1.866.625.1167 or 305.436.4000 ext. 11140 to ascertain details & availabilities for NCL transfer to airports.  Personally, we would do either a taxi or car service, with Lyft as a backup ... and, the renewed, modernized & expanded LGA has been getting lots of excellent reviews & positive feedbacks, as the old terminals are gone & newly integrated ones bring one to the 21st century.  

• Like 2

Hi everyone! thanks for all the great answers! I will book the 12h50 flying out LGA and yes, I have travel insurance. Looking at your answers, NCL maybe not the best option. I thought that they would be faster but doesn't seem so as they wait for everyone to be onboard a full bus before going. 

@mking8288, I didn't knew about Dial 7 or Cabify for Portugal. I will look at this option. Otherwise, I will take an Cab or an Uber.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Isabelle

27 minutes ago, zazou said:

Hi everyone! thanks for all the great answers! I will book the 12h50 flying out LGA and yes, I have travel insurance. Looking at your answers, NCL maybe not the best option. I thought that they would be faster but doesn't seem so as they wait for everyone to be onboard a full bus before going. 

12h50 is not a problem at all. We usually book 11h00 flights for closed-loop trips. You just need to figure out during the cruise on where you will clear US customs and immigrations. If you are doing it in NYC (and not prior to that), then plan to get in line for disembarkation early since it will be a protracted process and you will have to be in the Non-US Citizen lines (assumption). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We always order a Lyft XL (Lyft is consistently cheaper than Uber)

We usually Uber, we did look at Lyft the last time we went to the city, but it was more than Uber. I think it’s easy to check each one.

@zazou  Availability and use of Uber in EU countries vary, when we're in Barcelona this May (and, several other Spain ports while on the TA, i.e Palma & Ibiza ... Uber App & pre-arrival lookup were that they are available and we can pre-book.  NOT.  When we opened our app, it shown not available or none in the area.  Plenty of BCN taxis, regulated & easy to street hail, just about anywhere with that city, always a few parked outside & across the street by our hotel near La Ramblas.  Cabify is the preferred app used by locals, the Uber App supposingly worked by booking/calling online for an available taxi via the platform.  Metered/zoned rates practically the same or within 1 or 2 Euros.  Cheers 😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You just need to order an XL.  Those are always big enough for three adults with luggage.  If you have "lots of luggage," then you may need to consider something else (perhaps taking less luggage next time).  Have you used Uber or Lyft?

It was a joke. Guess I should have used a smiley.

59 minutes ago, omahabob said:

It was a joke. Guess I should have used a smiley.

Yeah.  I like to encourage folks to at least consider Uber/Lyft because they have worked great for me.  I am NOT an early adopter of anything.  Late to get a PC in my home.  Late to get a smart phone.  I finally just "forced" myself to try both Uber and Lyft on a Seattle cruise and I've been hooked ever since.  They sure beat those shared airport shuttles or NCL transfer busses.  That said, if somebody is in a hurry to get to an airport from MCT, then good ol' NYC cab driver is the only game in town.  I had my first experience getting off the Joy last October and it was Mr. Toad's wild ride!  Really nice driver.  Got us to LaGuardia mid-morning in what had to be close to record time.  Only one life was lost (a too-slow pigeon in the street).

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

then good ol' NYC cab driver is the only game in town.

I love the thrill of the NYC taxi rides AND they are very regulated.  We use Curb app for the taxi.  Also, NYC cab drivers tend to really know the city better, many of whom have driven it for years.

Our experience with Lyft and Uber in NYC has been mixed…twice being charged (later easily disputed) when the driver got lost or drove in circles.  And those notorious faux Lyft/Uber drivers just outside the terminal.

We have taken NCL transfer bus to LGA and EWR with no issues.  You just have to disembark at the early NCL transfer time, which I believe is right after self disembark.  It doesn’t take very long to fill a bus to any of the three main airports.  Maybe longer if you wait to disembark.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, omahabob said:

Just hope they don't show up in a Smart Car when you have lots of luggage.

In NYC, Ubers/Lyfts are licensed livery vehicles (plate always starts with a T), so they generally have ample storage space for at least two pieces of luggage. As others have noted, you can just request an XL, or if you’re feeling fancy get a Lux or black car, but a normal vehicle should have space for at least two bags in the trunk.

As a resident, I can say that Lyft/Uber essentially price match each other, so the price difference may be negligible. Both companies monitor the other’s pricing in real time so they’re usually within a dollar or two of each other (barring surge pricing fluctuations).

What I do recommend is figuring out which of your credit cards or FF/hotel programs offers extra benefits, and use that service if possible. For example, Lyft offers 10x points for some Chase cards, and Delta skymiles for rides to the airport, so there’s additional incentives to use one service over the other. 

20 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I love the thrill of the NYC taxi rides AND they are very regulated.  We use Curb app for the taxi.  Also, NYC cab drivers tend to really know the city better, many of whom have driven it for years.

I’d also recommend the Curb app when in a taxi… you can either request a yellow cab using the app, or get into a cab and pair using your phone (so you don’t need to get a card out to pay/tip). 

One note is that since the pandemic, cabs have gotten oddly pricy when picking up at the airport. A cab from LGA - my apartment 15 minutes away used to cost $16ish with a 20% tip a few years ago. Now this is running around $30 with the airport access fees that have been added on by the city/state in the past several months. 

20 hours ago, laudergayle said:

NYC cab drivers tend to really know the city better, many of whom have driven it for years.

my experience, as a manhattan resident, has been very different.  what you describe used to be true, up until the 1970s or thereabouts, when many cabbies owned their medallion and their car… but now, most cab drivers rent their vehicles on a shift basis, many cab drivers get lost, have no idea where major landmarks are located, have little conception of the overall geography of the city (or even the borough they’re driving in) and have only been driving for a few months… or an even shorter time.

45 minutes ago, UKstages said:

my experience, as a manhattan resident, has been very different.  what you describe used to be true, up until the 1970s or thereabouts, when many cabbies owned their medallion and their car… but now, most cab drivers rent their vehicles on a shift basis, many cab drivers get lost, have no idea where major landmarks are located, have little conception of the overall geography of the city (or even the borough they’re driving in) and have only been driving for a few months… or an even shorter time.

Makes sense being a resident that you have more opportunity to have inexperienced drivers.  Our visits are typically LGA to hotel and back, or some other more known place.  I guess we’re really not very challenging. 😂

• Haha 1