Is one night in Bermuda enough?

dbrown84

I've never sailed on Carnival before (all my cruise have been on NCL), and I've never been to Bermuda.  I have a comp certificate for Carnival, and I'm thinking of using it on a cruise to Bermuda next month.  I can either leave from Baltimore, and we'd be in Bermuda for one full day and one overnight, or leave from Norfolk and be there for two overnights.  I'm from DC, so Baltimore is local to me.  Norfolk is about 4 hours away.  I'm wondering if the extra day/overnight is worth the extra commute to Norfolk.  Both trips would be in port on Wednesday night, so at least I'd be able to go to Harbor nights either way.  I'm just curious about other's opinion.  

and if it matters, the ship out of Norfolk is the Magic.  The Legend is out of Baltimore.  Since I know nothing about Carnival at this point, the different doesn't mean anything to me just yet

I've done both the one night and two nights in Bermuda, and two nights definitely is the better option - you can have one day to go to the beach and another to do some touring, with the morning of the third day to do some touring at Dockyard before you sail back. I hear you about Baltimore being easier, though - my son lives in Virginia Beach, and that drive to DC is no fun.😮 If you opt for Baltimore, I might suggest taking day 1 for the beach (there's a $7 per person shuttle to Horseshoe Beach from Dockyard), maybe an evening excursion (there are sunset sailings), and then spend day 2 - which is probably short - right at Dockyard. There's good shopping, a nice museum, and Bermuda Fun Golf if you like mini golf - it's the most challenging mini golf I've done.

• Thanks 1

I would definitely do the one out of Norfolk, with 2 overnights.  And not just because I live 15 minutes from the port!  We actually have a cruise to Bermuda in September, but on another line.  We're probably going to have to cancel due to a work conflict, I was looking for a different cruise to reschedule, and most to Bermuda are 1 overnight, but I'd rather hold our for a 2 night.  I like the idea of not having to worry about making it back to the ship for a few days!  From what I hear, there is lots to do in Bermuda.

The drive from DC isn't the best, but TBH I think the worst of it is DC itself lol.  I'd definitely recommend traveling the day before though.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 1

Any time spent in Bermuda is a plus.  

I've gone there via cruises and land trips for close to 50 years.

Last time on a cruise was Pride from Baltimore in 2018 and we were there for 2 nights.  

I'd cruise to Bermuda anytime!

• Like 1

We went to Bermuda last year on the Legend from Baltimore and had a blast. My biggest complaint was learning when we got there we had to tender, using lifeboats. Celebrity and NCL were docked and they have port priority in Bermuda, so Carnival had to tender. Everyone had to tender in using the lifeboats and it was a nightmare and super slow process. That was everyones complaint. We booked a cruise going back there next year but decided to go there with NCL since they have port priority. We're spending 3 days there and will actually be docked. 

You definitely don't want to miss Hamilton nights as you mentioned. You can take the ferry over to Hamilton from Kings Wharf. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

We went to Bermuda last year on the Legend from Baltimore and had a blast. My biggest complaint was learning when we got there we had to tender, using lifeboats. Celebrity and NCL were docked and they have port priority in Bermuda, so Carnival had to tender. Everyone had to tender in using the lifeboats and it was a nightmare and super slow process. That was everyones complaint. We booked a cruise going back there next year but decided to go there with NCL since they have port priority. We're spending 3 days there and will actually be docked. 

You definitely don't want to miss Hamilton nights as you mentioned. You can take the ferry over to Hamilton from Kings Wharf. 

yeah, my preference would be NCL.  I just decided very last minute to maybe go to Bermuda and I've used up all my NCL comps, while I have this Carnival comp starring me in the face.  Now I see that flights to Vegas are really reasonable, so I may decide to do a Vegas trip and plan Bermuda for next summer.  The 3 day Bermuda trip from Norfolk looks like it pretty much sold out anyway.  A mock booking shows just three inside cabins left. 

Definitely the two nights, so much to do. We just did the 4 day on Venezia, it was more so to try the ship out but it ended up raining the entire day so we made it to the beach for a hour before getting caught in heavy rain.

Luckily we go almost every year now so it wasn’t a total loss for us but someone like you who had never been would end up being disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

We just booked this six nighter out of Norfolk on the Magic this morning.  Leave August 27.  I’ve been to Bermuda several times - always on NCL.  I agree that one night is not enough.  I’m concerned about the tendering thing.  The best part about Bermuda is being docked for three days and coming and going as we please.  Is there a chance we’ll have to tender on this sailing?  Is there a way to find out?

On 7/7/2023 at 1:45 PM, dbrown84 said:

I've never sailed on Carnival before (all my cruise have been on NCL), and I've never been to Bermuda.  I have a comp certificate for Carnival, and I'm thinking of using it on a cruise to Bermuda next month.  I can either leave from Baltimore, and we'd be in Bermuda for one full day and one overnight, or leave from Norfolk and be there for two overnights.  I'm from DC, so Baltimore is local to me.  Norfolk is about 4 hours away.  I'm wondering if the extra day/overnight is worth the extra commute to Norfolk.  Both trips would be in port on Wednesday night, so at least I'd be able to go to Harbor nights either way.  I'm just curious about other's opinion.  

That's up to you

13 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

We just booked this six nighter out of Norfolk on the Magic this morning.  Leave August 27.  I’ve been to Bermuda several times - always on NCL.  I agree that one night is not enough.  I’m concerned about the tendering thing.  The best part about Bermuda is being docked for three days and coming and going as we please.  Is there a chance we’ll have to tender on this sailing?  Is there a way to find out?

You could look at the port schedule for when you're supposed to be there, and see what other ships are there. It won't guarantee your docking or tendering, but it may give you an idea. 

19 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

We are on this cruise too. We chose it for the two overnights, which we have done multiple times on Celebrity Summit. Celebrity switches to Canada/New England at the end of this month, so it wasn’t an option. We also made the choice of 5.5 hours to Norfolk over 45 minutes to Baltimore for the extended time in Bermuda.

We are taking Amtrak to avoid the I95 DC to Fredericksburg area. We got $22 each way tickets, so $132 round trip for the three of us. I don’t think we can drive for that! 

10 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

We are on this cruise too. We chose it for the two overnights, which we have done multiple times on Celebrity Summit. Celebrity switches to Canada/New England at the end of this month, so it wasn’t an option. We also made the choice of 5.5 hours to Norfolk over 45 minutes to Baltimore for the extended time in Bermuda.

We are taking Amtrak to avoid the I95 DC to Fredericksburg area. We got $22 each way tickets, so $132 round trip for the three of us. I don’t think we can drive for that! 

Yup.  Two overnights are the way to go!  I’ve done it four times, always on NCL out of NYC.  I love Bermuda and try to make it an annual thing.  The other trips have been “Girls Trips”.  I talked DH into this one.  😃. It’s been years since we’ve been on a Carnival ship.  In recent years we’ve sailed exclusively with NCL and Virgin.  Hoping we like the ship.

That’s a great deal on Amtrak - and I hear you about I-95!  That stretch from Richmond to DC is horrible.  We’re originally from the DC area, but moved down to NC ten years ago and make that trek regularly.  Norfolk is about a four hour drive for us, so this cruise is really convenient for us. Looking forward to seeing you onboard!  Are you on the Face Place page?  If so, I’m Lorraine.  😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise to Bermuda was 50 years ago.We have been there 12 times .In my opinion a three day stay is the best for getting the most out of the island.

We have been there with several cruise lines but the best was with HAL because they docked in Hamilton.

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Our first cruise to Bermuda was 50 years ago.We have been there 12 times .In my opinion a three day stay is the best for getting the most out of the island.

We have been there with several cruise lines but the best was with HAL because they docked in Hamilton.

I agree. I have been over 15 times and even three days were not enough. My favorite sailings were on ships that did both Hamilton and St. George on Celebrity, Princess, Azamara and Oceania. but unfortunately there are only a handful of sailings now that do both Hamilton and St. George or even Hamilton. I did the HAL sailings that only did Hamiltion, not as good as the Hamilton and St. George itineraries but HAL is long gone from Bermuda. 

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I agree. I have been over 15 times and even three days were not enough. My favorite sailings were on ships that did both Hamilton and St. George on Celebrity, Princess, Azamara and Oceania. but unfortunately there are only a handful of sailings now that do both Hamilton and St. George or even Hamilton. I did the HAL sailings that only did Hamiltion, not as good as the Hamilton and St. George itineraries but HAL is long gone from Bermuda. 

I cannot recall the last year we cruised with HAL to Bermuda but we had a Lanai cabin that faced the street in Hamilton.It was like being on a balcony.

Our next to last night was a Saturday and we could hear the music from the club directly across the street .It was wonderful.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot recall the last year we cruised with HAL to Bermuda but we had a Lanai cabin that faced the street in Hamilton.It was like being on a balcony.

Our next to last night was a Saturday and we could hear the music from the club directly across the street .It was wonderful.

I believe the last HAL cruises this century to Bermuda were in 2015 or 2016 on Veendam. I did a couple maybe 2010 or 2011. Might be off a year. My sailing was supposed to do both Hamilton and St. George but HAL added some cabins aft after announcing that itinerary and with the increased draft the Veendam could not do St. George’s. Oops. 

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I believe the last HAL cruises this century to Bermuda were in 2015 or 2016 on Veendam. I did a couple maybe 2010 or 2011. Might be off a year. My sailing was supposed to do both Hamilton and St. George but HAL added some cabins aft after announcing that itinerary and with the increased draft the Veendam could not do St. George’s. Oops. 

It was probably 2011 or 2012.