Faulty fire panels delay launch of Explora cruise ship.

CJANDH

See this article.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-liner-launch-msc-explora-delayed-faulty-fire-panels-report-2023-7

It reports that Explora I has been delayed because of faulty fire panels installed on the ship. However, it also reports that 45 other ships may be sailing with the faulty panel installed by several of the world's largest ship builders. If there is a recall on all those ships, could we see another disruption to cruising? Hope not.

42 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yikes.  This puts anything built recently by Fincantieri on the suspect list.  That includes all of the Muse class, but no other RCG ships.

YES!!  Agree with Spins and the above comment for raising important questions, including as to which Silversea ships might be affected.  Inquiring minds want to know more!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

There was at least one other shipyard also using these panels, and apparently it affects 45 cruise ships (out of <300) according to the article.  If all must be retrofitted, it will affect many cruise lines and disrupt much of the industry.

So, I just did some more digging. I don’t know how accurate this source is but it provides some more information. https://www.cruisehive.com/faulty-safety-materials-may-put-dozens-of-cruise-ships-at-risk/105929

This guy blames cruise lines for everything but here is his take. https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2023/07/articles/fires/the-launch-of-mscs-newest-cruise-ship-explora-i-delayed-due-to-faulty-fire-resistant-panels/

And one more article.  https://www.ft.com/content/8cfa4fdf-6d8d-486f-8be9-e14cafb36a43

The manufacturer lost its certification which should’ve been good till 2025. It’s unclear why. All the ships passed certification when launched, obviously, but I don’t really know what that means. If it means reviewing the certification of providers, then maybe no more testing was conducted. It appears that ships with panels used before 2020 are ok. 

This will be a busy weekend for many cruise line execs I imagine. The lawyers will have to clean up this mess too.

Edited by CruiserFromMaine
Added more information and links.

Appears both Fincantieri and Meyers Werft have used the faulty panels.  Let’s hope we get clarity on ships affected and the impact on cruises on these from the shipping lines promptly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There was at least one other shipyard also using these panels, and apparently it affects 45 cruise ships (out of <300) according to the article.  If all must be retrofitted, it will affect many cruise lines and disrupt much of the industry.

The article only directly identified Fincantieri as one example but if, as suggested above, Meyer Werft was also using these panels, that opens up a HUGE potential list, including Silver Nova for Silversea.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

The article only directly identified Fincantieri as one example but if, as suggested above, Meyer Werft was also using these panels, that opens up a HUGE potential list, including Silver Nova for Silversea.

Would Silver Dawn be among the ships in question? I am due to board her on Wednesday!!! 😏

6 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Would Silver Dawn be among the ships in question? I am due to board her on Wednesday!!! 😏

It is certainly possible.  The Muse class ships are each fairly recent builds from Fincantieri.

What isn't clear is how ships already in service with these panels are going to be handled.  It was a new build that was apparently put on hold until the problem could be rectified.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

According to this article (also linked above by CruiserfromMain), Meyer Werft does contract with Paroc, the company that manufactures these panels for fire insulation materials.  

Faulty Safety Materials May Put Dozens of Cruise Ships at Risk (cruisehive.com)

While the various cruise line executives work on their contingency and retrofit plans, the booking websites may provide some early indications if upcoming voyages for certain ships are suddenly all showing as waitlisted. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Where's Terry?  Should we be taking short positions on Paroc??? 😏

Just kidding.  It's huge, but it's privately held.

I read that it was owned by Owens-Corning.

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I read that it was owned by Owens-Corning.

Interesting.  Looks like they got gobbled up a couple of years ago by OC as you say, now operating as a subsidiary. 

Well, then!

Terry .. do we short OC? 🤔

Nah, too small a piece of the whole.

I just hope all of this can be resolved both safely and expeditiously.

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

I just hope all of this can be resolved both safely and expeditiously.

I was thinking maybe the crew could just wrap each panel in Duct Tape, or whatever one uses to 'encapsulate' asbestos.

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was thinking maybe the crew could just wrap each panel in Duct Tape, or whatever one uses to 'encapsulate' asbestos.

😏

Their product is made from "rock wool".  Think of fiberglass made from minerals other than silica. It's a superior product in several respects.

21 hours ago, canderson said:

Barbara Muckerman has advised elsewhere that the Nova fire resistant panels were sourced elsewhere and are therefore fine.

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Wish duct tape was here. She would have some good advice and the inside scoop.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1