Illusionarium on Getaway...is anything there?

Red-Sol

We were on the Getaway last month, and I was surprised at how much the utilization of the Illusionarium had changed since our last cruise 5 years ago on this ship.  As I recall, back them they had the pseudo escape room activity in there and used it as a staging area for some excursions, but not much else.  Last month they had several musical performances in the evenings.  They set up around 6 rows of folding chairs around the stage, and, together with the existing booths, the venue holds more than Headliners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Red-Sol Joe, Spot is now being used as a mini theater, we have seen comics and solo singers down there. Wouldn't be a surprise if they start moving some of the Atruim stuff down there ( Deal or No Deal as an example ).

Jim

• Thanks 2

We were on the Getaway ending last week.

There was a super hero escape type game on the dailies, I wanted to give it a lash, but the teenager's had other plans with their new found friends!

Hence I cannot comment on the event.

• Like 1

That's another poorly utilized and barely used space ... back in the days, $20 upcharge for a 3-course price fixed dinner, and without that 20% added.  NCL killed the original planned use for the Spiegel Tent and Supper Club (Epic) on ships that have them, shameful, IMHO.  Nowadays, half of the events jammed into that overcrowded atrium lobby on the big ships with seatings for 75 to 100, otherwise - standing room only.  

• Like 3

On my transatlantic the Illusionarium was used for quite a number of things but not anything specially geared to it. At a minimum there were some musical performances, the smaller hypnosis shows, and the table top escape room. It was also used for some "private" functions like Meet and Greet and L/R/C.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

That's another poorly utilized and barely used space ... back in the days, $20 upcharge for a 3-course price fixed dinner, and without that 20% added.  NCL killed the original planned use for the Spiegel Tent and Supper Club (Epic) on ships that have them, shameful, IMHO.  Nowadays, half of the events jammed into that overcrowded atrium lobby on the big ships with seatings for 75 to 100, otherwise - standing room only.  

Back before the pandemic we sailed on Escape while the Supper Club was still going. The food wasn't the greatest and some of the acts also weren't the best...but it was still an enjoyable time for the most part. It would seem to me that NCL might want to rethink what they are doing (or not doing) in those venues....but what do I know! 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@Red-Sol Joe, Spot is now being used as a mini theater, we have seen comics and solo singers down there. Wouldn't be a surprise if they start moving some of the Atruim stuff down there ( Deal or No Deal as an example ).

Jim

So you're saying Jim that there is still hope?!?! 🤣

Edited by Red-Sol

1 hour ago, Red-Sol said:

So you're saying Jim that there is still hope?!?! 🤣

No hope for us, we are done with the BA and GA, don't get me wrong they are fine ships for some but for us nevermore unless there is an CAS offer. The difference in experience between the Escape and those two ships felt like it was a different cruise line running the Escape, but that's my humble opinion.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

No hope for us, we are done with the BA and GA, don't get me wrong they are fine ships for some but for us nevermore unless there is an CAS offer. The difference in experience between the Escape and those two ships felt like it was a different cruise line running the Escape, but that's my humble opinion.

Yes, our first choice will always be an Away+ ship.  However, they usually have Breakaway or Getaway out of New Orleans and we can combine a cruise with our annual SevenStar trip.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

I do understand Jim...The Escape and Bliss are our 2 favorite ships by far. Decided to book Getaway due to the 15 day length of cruise along with hitting some of our favorite ports along with a couple we haven't been to before. Will see how it goes in a few months. I am not sure if they have given up on many of the 14 day cruises in Winter out of NYC....but this seems to be close. With a little luck and praying to the snow gods maybe early November will be kind to us up here in the tundra!  

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Like 3

@Red-Sol Looks like you picked a winner Joe, too bad NCL has dropped Bonair, maybe too small? Not sure who is running things down in Miami but it looks like slim pickings in NY for the next two winters if you are a NCL fan. One ship with stops in Bermuda and Puerto Plata makes a no go for us. Flying down to Tampa in the winter to be on the Jade, not sure about 2025. We met a couple who takes a train to Miami for cruises instead of flying, which may be an option for you in the future. 

Jim

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Back before the pandemic we sailed on Escape while the Supper Club was still going. The food wasn't the greatest and some of the acts also weren't the best...but it was still an enjoyable time for the most part. It would seem to me that NCL might want to rethink what they are doing (or not doing) in those venues....but what do I know! 😉

We were on the Escape in May and there were still dinner shows some nights. 

• Like 1