Piraeus accommodation

Charmslittleworld

Hi everyone

Can someone please recommend accommodation near the cruise ship terminal.  We fly in to Athens at 1am and our ship boards midday the next day so it just needs to be clean and comfortable.  Is Piraeus in a good area, or am I better staying in Athens and catching a taxi in the morning.  Thanks

Stay in Athens; it's only a 20-some minute drive to Piraeus. Many hotels are recommended here. One to consider: Athens Gate -- lovely views of Acropolis from rooftop restaurant where drinks, limited dinner, and breakfasts are served. Very close to Acropolis museum as well in case you just want to nip in and have a look. I assume you've been to Athens previously?

As you have so little time to actually "see" Athens, I would suggest heading straight to Piraeus for the overnight.  We are taking the X96 bus directly for the airport to Piraeus.  We have booked Lilia Hotel which is very reasonably priced, close to restaurants and has very good reviews.

17 hours ago, Charmslittleworld said:

.  We fly in to Athens at 1am and our ship boards midday the next day

Can you clarify? When you  say "next day" do you mean 12 or 36 hours after you arrive?

If it is 12 hours, stay in Piraeus. If 36, stay in Athens.

33 minutes ago, Charmslittleworld said:

The flight gets in about 3pm the day before the cruise.  It sounds like I should stay in Piraeus.  Any recommendations

If it gets in at 3 pm the day before the cruise, stay in Athens.  You will have the rest of the afternoon and evening, plus the next morning to stroll around Athens.  Walking around the and watching the Acropolis at night is beautiful. 

I really don't see any advantage to staying "in" Piraeus -- it is really just a part of Athens. There is no chance you'd miss your cruise by staying in Athens. Taxi to the port next day is only around 20-25 euros. And there are plenty of less expensive hotels in Athens, so you're not necessarily paying a premium to stay there.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:08 PM, Senga said:

As you have so little time to actually "see" Athens, I would suggest heading straight to Piraeus for the overnight.  We are taking the X96 bus directly for the airport to Piraeus.  We have booked Lilia Hotel which is very reasonably priced, close to restaurants and has very good reviews.

I've stayed there a couple of times.... while the rooms are small and the elevator is tiny, it is in a good location for the port and for dinner in nearby Marina Zea.  The desk is very helpful and there is a free breakfast which is adequate but unremarkable.  Still a good deal for the price.  There is also a huge Carrefour nearby for any last-minute items you may need for your cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:48 AM, Charmslittleworld said:

The flight gets in about 3pm the day before the cruise.  It sounds like I should stay in Piraeus.  Any recommendations

In Athens recommend Athens Capital Center Hotel - MGallery Collection - our room over looked Syntagma Sq for the must see changing of the guard , and view of Acropolis from rooftop pool. Excellent hotel.  Uber to port was under €20. 

In Piraeus recommend Gallery Suites.. totally different / much cheaper/ smaller but dozens of restaurants nearby including Stoa Rakadiko 

So it all depends if you’ve done Athens or not? 
just to sit in the Plaka and have dinner is magical 

• Thanks 1

Hi. To continue to conversation a bit further, what are your thoughts on staying at the airport (such as at the Sofitel)? I am flying in the day before, have been to Athens, and am boarding an 18 day cruise with LOTS of walking in each port in Egypt and around the Red Sea. Was thinking the Athens stop would be to rest after the flight and to acclimate to the time change.

Has anyone stayed at the Sofitel Athens Airport before?

49 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

Hi. To continue to conversation a bit further, what are your thoughts on staying at the airport (such as at the Sofitel)? I am flying in the day before, have been to Athens, and am boarding an 18 day cruise with LOTS of walking in each port in Egypt and around the Red Sea. Was thinking the Athens stop would be to rest after the flight and to acclimate to the time change.

Yes.  It is ok, but there is nothing to do there. The restaurant is ok hotel food.  You are basically looking at the terminal or a parking lot and smelling car fumes.  No place to go for a walk except up and down the terminal sidewalks along the taxi lines. You will be bored to tears.  We have done it when we arrived in Athens in the evening and had an early morning flight to the islands the next morning. 

You are better off staying in Athens. You can take it easy and walk around some to get used to the time change, have dinner at a nice taverna.  It will be a shorter trip to the dock the next day.  At least it will be pleasant to look out of the window if you don't feel like doing anything else.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njguy_south said:

We stayed at that Sofitel in August 2021 because we arrived in Athens in the evening and had a cruise the following day.  It is located right across the street from the airport terminal and we simply walked (rolling our luggage) over to the hotel.  It is a pretty modern buidling with typical  Sofitel rooms (modern and average size).  They have a bar/restaurant and it is a comfortable property.  When it was time to go to the port we simply had the doorman get us a taxi.  The hotel is perfect for a short-stay if you have no interest in going into Athens.

Hank

• Like 1