layers for Europe in Septemeber

Kristelle

Have been reading many threads and layering is recomended for excursions.

Looking on internet average temps seem low 20's (celcius)  i n the places we are going - London, Paris, then Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise

Would short sleeve tshirts with light weight hoodies with jeans. light weight pants/ 3/4 pants seem about right for day time, with a light weight foldable rain jacket in back pack in case of wet?

I dont want to pack thick jackets/jumpers  if not needed.

• Like 1

September is a very hard month to pack for in those cities as the weather is very changeable. I would say you do not need heavy layers, but just make sure that you are able to wear two layers under your rain/wind jacket in case it is cool. Layers allow you to adjust throughout the day as sometimes it starts out cool in the mornings but temps can climb throughout the day if it is sunny.

• Like 1

If by "hoodie" you mean a cotton sweatshirt, I would say No. Too much bulk for the comfort it provides, and if it gets wet or damp, it's a negative.  Instead, I would pack a zip-up fleece as a warm layer, as well as a light rain jacket.

Jeans maybe.  Long pants for sure, but perhaps something less prone to hold dampness.

Yes to layers. Short sleeve, long sleeve.  Personally I would take silk, rayon or wool rather than cotton.

• Like 1

sorry, didnt realise hoodie was not universally recognised word - here it means a fleecy windcheater type thing with a hood - so what you are calling a zip up fleece, with a hood

I like hoods, you can have them on to keep your head warm and then flick off when not needed

thanks for your advice, everyone. ❤️

• Like 1

I think it really depends on the year but  I don't think you'll need hoodies or cold-weather gear unless you tend to be chilly. Some people find 15C chilly, others think it's comfortable.

We were in Paris in early September 2019 and it was hot (upper 20s C). Last year I was in London in the middle of the month and it was still lovely and warm most days, but a bit cooler (mid teens C) other days. When the sun shines at that time of year, it warms up.

If I was packing for this trip, I would bring short-sleeved dresses and tops and a topper or sweater to be worn over, along with a rain jacket. Definitely a pair of long pants (or jeans), and maybe a pair of cropped pants. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kristelle said:

sorry, didnt realise hoodie was not universally recognised word - here it means a fleecy windcheater type thing with a hood - so what you are calling a zip up fleece, with a hood

I like hoods, you can have them on to keep your head warm and then flick off when not needed

thanks for your advice, everyone. ❤️

Interesting!  Hoodie here is usually grey cotton, pullover as opposed to zip, perhaps with a college logo, and enormously baggy.

What you describe sounds perfect.

• Like 2

typical hoodie (in my understanding of word)

they can be plain or logos/patterns and can have zips or  pullover the head type.

generally fleecy material,like windcheaters

I have some that are very thick fleece and some lighter weight ones

a4a2230d-17dc-4c3f-a39c-52a07178f6c9_1.6102f67a57c9aa7cd9a325ad98d3d2e9.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, shipgeeks said:

Interesting!  Hoodie here is usually grey cotton, pullover as opposed to zip, perhaps with a college logo, and enormously baggy.

What you describe sounds perfect.

You need to get out more often!  Not all hoodies are the standby sweatshirt type.  Even those can be bought in sizes to fit up to enormously baggy.  And, they are made in a plethora of colors.   I know W. and Central PA is largely rural (I grew up near Altoona), hoodie sweatshirts and jeans seem to be the norm.  

I just returned from 10 nights in London. After two very, very warm days...the days settled into highs that ranged between 68-72 or 20-22. It was WARM. IDK if you run warm or cool...but for me, it was warm. Air conditioning doesn't really exist in a lot of places there...and especially the public transport can be very very warm. If it's sunny...all the buildings and streets and sidewalks just heat up and the whole business is quite warm. I had been concerned that I might feel cool going there with such weather but I wore short sleeves more often than not. Also...many places are so crowded...crowds everywhere...and where people gather and are in close proximity especially (taking pubs, museums, tube, etc), then it's warm...and short sleeves are just fine.

• Like 1

Anita you were there in early July - middle of summer.

Ive been to London before in July and was. for us, nicely warm, around 27 deg C (in 2013)

We will be there in September this time - early autumn.