Is Mt. Maunganui within walking distance of where Princess ships dock in Tauranga??

dlh015

Princess says the ship docks near the 'foot of Mt. Maunganui'...

Can anyone shed a little light on this?? I am considering packing a lunch and hiking up said mountain. Would this hike be too strenuous for a late sixties person?

(in fair shape...lol...)

Thanks for any tips and recommendations!

4 hours ago, dlh015 said:

Can anyone shed a little light on this?? I am considering packing a lunch and hiking up said mountain. Would this hike be too strenuous for a late sixties person?

(in fair shape...lol...)

Mt Maunganui is within walking distance of the the cruise port. Just one thing, you will have to re think packing a lunch as ship's food is not under any circumstances to be taken off the ship in NZ and Australian ports. Both countries have very strict bio security laws regarding this. There will be announcements broadcast reminding passengers of this. You will probably able to take off prepackaged chocolate, and other snacks but nothing that is made/cooked on the ship.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, possum52 said:

Mt Maunganui is within walking distance of the the cruise port. Just one thing, you will have to re think packing a lunch as ship's food is not under any circumstances to be taken off the ship in NZ and Australian ports. Both countries have very strict bio security laws regarding this. There will be announcements broadcast reminding passengers of this. You will probably able to take off prepackaged chocolate, and other snacks but nothing that is made/cooked on the ship.

Well, Leigh, thank you once again for helping this first-timer! Had no idea about the bio stuff...will plan accordingly. Perhaps I'll be able to pick up a sandwich or something along the way.

Best regards, Dave

1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

Well, Leigh, thank you once again for helping this first-timer! Had no idea about the bio stuff...will plan accordingly. Perhaps I'll be able to pick up a sandwich or something along the way.

Best regards, Dave

There are plenty of little shops along the way to the Mountain.  It would be easy to pick up a sandwich/snacks after getting off the ship.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:43 AM, dlh015 said:

Perhaps I'll be able to pick up a sandwich or something along the way.

For authentic local cuisine you could try the Mt Manganui Bakery for a pie or two, about three blocks from the cruise dock. Many varieties of savoury meat pies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

For authentic local cuisine you could try the Mt Manganui Bakery for a pie or two, about three blocks from the cruise dock. Many varieties of savoury meat pies.

Thank you! That would be perfect! I have added it to my travel path...

On 7/12/2023 at 12:50 PM, dlh015 said:

Would this hike be too strenuous for a late sixties person?

(in fair shape...lol...)

It depends  on how fair your shape is. 😁

The track is not all that steep, but it winds around the hill a considerable distance which is easy for us oldies to underestimate.

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It depends  on how fair your shape is. 😁

The track is not all that steep, but it winds around the hill a considerable distance which is easy for us oldies to underestimate.

Thanks, that was what I wanted to know. The pics I've seen appeared to show a slow but not too steep incline.

It also appears that at least part of the trail is paved...is that indeed the case as far as you know??

On 7/17/2023 at 2:15 PM, dlh015 said:

Thanks, that was what I wanted to know. The pics I've seen appeared to show a slow but not too steep incline.

It also appears that at least part of the trail is paved...is that indeed the case as far as you know??

Never mind that last bit...I see that it isn't...

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 9:50 PM, dlh015 said:

(in fair shape...lol...)

We have had a couple of cruises port in Tauranga and have walked up to the top.  Last time we walked up we were 73 and 75.  The worst part was the sun and heat (Jan) so take plenty of water.  Walking down made up for the hike up.  We have yet to walk around the base.  Will be there this Nov but have a Tours By Local arranged.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:50 PM, dlh015 said:

(in fair shape...lol...)

Hi just want to add to what the others have said. My tradition each time I visit Tauranga is to climb the Mount. The view from the top is stunning, well worth the walk, there are a number of different trails marked as you walk up and they are all marked with various degrees of difficulty and the time it should take to walk up. Some steeper but quicker others longer but more gentle. There are some great bakeries in the shopping centre between the ship and the beginning of the trail - as others have mentioned it is a complete no-no to take food off the ship and there are heavy fines for doing so. The beginning of the walk is about 7 minutes walk away.

Have a great climb.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

Hi just want to add to what the others have said. My tradition each time I visit Tauranga is to climb the Mount. The view from the top is stunning, well worth the walk, there are a number of different trails marked as you walk up and they are all marked with various degrees of difficulty and the time it should take to walk up. Some steeper but quicker others longer but more gentle. There are some great bakeries in the shopping centre between the ship and the beginning of the trail - as others have mentioned it is a complete no-no to take food off the ship and there are heavy fines for doing so. The beginning of the walk is about 7 minutes walk away.

Have a great climb.

Thanks so much for the added detail! Can't wait...only 2 months to go...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, Te Aroha said:

I am not sure if you are asking to climb the Mount or walk around it as there are many ways to explore the Mount. Hopefully this PDF will help you.

https://www.tauranga.govt.nz/Portals/0/data/community/tangata_whenua/file/mauao-map-and-guide-brochure.pdf

Somehow I missed your post!  Thank you for the brochure!

• Thanks 1