Sharps disposal

SoloAlaska

This year will be my first time traveling with an injectable medicine. Since I will only use it once onboard it would be a waste to get a sharps container. 

Can I just go to the medical facility to give myself the injection and dispose of the needle there?

This will be on Millie this September 

2 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

This year will be my first time traveling with an injectable medicine. Since I will only use it once onboard it would be a waste to get a sharps container. 

Can I just go to the medical facility to give myself the injection and dispose of the needle there?

Is it one of the migraine injectables?  I had to ask for a sharps container last year, but because of Covid we didn't end up boarding that particular cruise, so I still haven't found out and I will be needing one early next year instead.  Our cruise in January I take it the day before we fly to Hong Kong and the day we get home from Bali.

10 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

It’s not a waste to get a sharps container.  Just ask for one and the steward will provide it.

• Like 1

I also have a once a week ineluctable I travel with.    

First yes the medical center has a sharps disposal.   

I purchased a couple travel sharps container years ago they are about 6 inches long and 1X1.     I just put my used items in it and bring them home with me.  

• Like 2

I asked for a sharps container on our trip as well, but given how few items I put in it, next time I think I will just carry them home in a ziplock bag.  I am sure the medical center will allow you to drop there as well.  It also seems to me that I saw sharps disposal containers in some bathrooms, but perhaps I am recalling the airport instead.

3 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Getting a sharps container for your state room means that you don’t have to try to coordinate with the medical services opening hours, you can take care of it in your own room and really that’s much better

I had exactly this situation on our AK cruise in May. I gave myself the injection in our cabin and simply walked down to the medical center and asked them to dispose of the syringe. It was no big deal and literally took 2 min.

Edited by Mauidiver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1