$100,000 for a Bottle of Wine! Just, Why?

5 hours ago, mayleeman said:

🎶  $100,000 bottle of wine on the wall,

$100,000 bottle of wine!  🍷 

🎵Take it down and pass it around...

Hey, WAIT!!!

I can just see the Sommelier clutching his cork screw....

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markeb said:

This is great fun, of course, but welcome to the world of highly allocated luxury products.

You want to go on the waiting list for a GT3 RS? How many 911's have you bought from us in the last decade?

You want a stainless steel Daytona? How much have you spent on jewelry? How many gold and diamond Datejusts have you bought?

You'd like a bottle of 25 year old Pappy Van Winkle? (Actually I don't know how you get on that list...)

The interesting (unanswerable) question here is if there's a reverse allocation at work. Did buying the 2015 at $40,000 or so give you access to the other wines at a mere $6K (probably less than $2K wholesale)? And it's for show for their wine awards. Because actually opening an 8 year old Grand Cru Bordeaux (which this would be if he'd used the traditional grapes of Bordeaux) would be criminal! It probably needs at least 12 more years to think about peaking.

Don't think of it as inventory; it's marketing and advertising...

me - think that if one of us wants something on the $100k level, we would bring at least, if not four (4) bottles aboard with us and the rest would be history AND the word be out and about our wine(s) brought aboard and not purchase...

The Sommeliers would be very smitten, especially if they were included in the tasting!!!

My only reference point for this is, on one sailing I brought several bottles of a limited edition Paso Robles red blend.. presented it to the Sommelier and requested that it be opened to breath for at least four (4) hours and chilled...

I also said, please sample it before the decanting and we all would taste it afterwards....

Talking about being a rock star... I got whatever wine I wanted in all dining facilities after that... well, with the exception of wines which were priced beyond $150/bottle. They knew...

Yet, cheers and bon voyage

p.s. I do intend to bring two (2) similar bottles on our next sailing in 45 days!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

I would love to know what finance guy approved this purchase.  Sorry but I find it hard to believe that they would even sell 1 in a year.  What a waste of sitting inventory.

One of a few duplicates... 

Sorry and thank you for your indulgence, in this case...

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I would love to know what finance guy approved this purchase.  Sorry but I find it hard to believe that they would even sell 1 in a year.  What a waste of sitting inventory.

Sorry, duplicate and they keep on rolling tonight..

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

CC has challenges this evening... duplicate posting.

My apologies, cheer and bon voayge

Edited by Bo1953

Duplicate posting, sorry...

Cheers and bon voyage

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Duplicate posting... apologies...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Multiple posting... sorry.

Edited by Bo1953

mc2  actually, it is a great marketing idea, as there may not be anyone to purchase that particular bottle at $100k readily, yet there will be a few who will go to $200 for a special occasion or even a $1k bottle and say there was a more expensive bottle but this was My limit...

Over priced, possibly, enjoyed, definitely (admitted or not).. 😎

Especially someone who enjoys fine wine....

Cheers and bon voyage

1 minute ago, miched said:

Makes these a bargain at Costco in FL

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

m bring one of these aboard for your special dinner.. 

That would command great attention and special treatment for sure...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Haha 1

I wonder if that server would get the 20% gratuity

We asked one wine sommelier if anyone ever ordered a very expensive bottle of wine and then refused after tasting it.   He said it wouldn’t happen. One being the only reason they could refuse it is if it spoiled.   He also said that he would discourage  serving it because the price doesn’t mean it is better than a lower cost wine and not worth the cost.  He said they have those bottles more for show and prestige.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

pb I keep waiting to be on the same sailing for such great hospitality on your part... LOL

Please do not forget me when you are ready to splurge!!!

Cheers and bon voyage

" great hospitality" ?? " ready to splurge " ??

Who ?---- Me ??----- I did WHAT ??-----  Really ??----- OH, $%#^ !!! 

Anybody get the number of the bus that hit me before I bought that bottle of wine--- when I don't even drink ?? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

mc2  actually, it is a great marketing idea, as there may not be anyone to purchase that particular bottle at $100k readily, yet there will be a few who will go to $200 for a special occasion or even a $1k bottle and say there was a more expensive bottle but this was My limit...

Over priced, possibly, enjoyed, definitely (admitted or not).. 😎

Especially someone who enjoys fine wine....

Cheers and bon voyage

I could see $200 easily but $1k is still I think a very limited number of Celebrity cruisers.  To be honest if I am going to spend that on a good bottle of wine it will not be on a Celebrity ship.  Sorry I do not trust their ability to store the wine correctly.

9 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Sorry I do not trust their ability to store the wine correctly.

What?  You do not think that the rocking and rolling of the ship is good for the 33k bottle of wine sold for 100k?  Just imagine the sommelier who gets the 18k tip?

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Whenever I see an outrageous price point such as this I automatically wonder if money laundering might be in play. Then I’m reminded that it’s Celebrity we’re talking about so it must be just a damn good bottle of wine. Ami right?

It’s an incredibly rare bottle of wine. It may or may not be a damn good bottle of wine. Unfortunately the two aren’t necessarily the same. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I was poking around the app and got curious to find out what the most expensive bottle of wine that Celebrity had listed on their app.  To my surprise, I found a "Liber Pater 'Bordeaux'" for $100,000.  I found it in the Luminae wine menu, 🙄 figures.  It's crazy to think that there's even the potential to have folks onboard that have that kind of money to drop $100k on a single bottle of wine.  You'd be hard pressed to find a Celebrity cruise where you'd pay over $100k for the topmost suite.

This left me thinking, do they automatically tack gratuity on the bottle so then it becomes a $120k bottle of wine?  That would be a very nice tip 😅  But along the same lines, I would feel ashamed spending that kind of money on a single bottle of wine knowing how little the onboard staff get paid to provide the service during the cruise.  It's like taking a $100,000 bill and burning it right in front of them just because you can.  To me, that's insensible, but maybe I'm being unnecessarily empathetic. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4c7a4613169824a76439420146bf2d23.jpeg

And I was told they sell one about once or twice a year 

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I know that they have art counterfeits.  What about wine counterfeits?

Asking for a friend 🙂 

Wine counterfeits have been a huge issue for at least 15yrs, if not longer.  Problem is that techonoly is enabling much for realistic fakes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking as someone who buys most of their wine from the UK equivalent of Walmart I obviously wouldn’t be buying the bottle on board…

I do remember some years ago going to a business meal where the host had provided 2 bottles from his vintage selection to be served with the entree. We heard all about the price, the laying down, the bouquet, the vanilla background…I could hear the drums rolling as the first bottle was opened…What a disappointment…It was nice but in my (very limited) experience was no better than a £10 - £20 bottle I could have bought from the supermarket…Obviously we all politely enthused but in private conversations after couldn’t help but feel it was ‘much ado about nothing’…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Whenever I see an outrageous price point such as this I automatically wonder if money laundering might be in play. Then I’m reminded that it’s Celebrity we’re talking about so it must be just a damn good bottle of wine. Ami right?

Yes, then again for wine purchases above $150 each, I have no reference point in terms of price and quality.

But who knows after tonight's lottery drawing, I may be at a whole new level of connoisseur drinking... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, waddle said:

Imagine opening the bottle only to find it has corked 😳

That would be so depressing, as the buyer, and mortifying for The Sommelier and require that they not only auto refund the bottle price, but the cabin price!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, miched said:

He said they have those bottles more for show and prestige.

Reminds me of how Binions in LV had their glass display of $1,000,000 in cash. Up until they declared bankruptcy, IIRC....