Live British Isles July 19-31 Princess Regal

kttraveler

16 hours ago, kml246 said:

We just got off Sky on Saturday after a 14-nt Baltic Heritage cruise and are doing this cruise on Regal August 12 (preceded by 4-nt Princess Ring of Kerry land tour). The menus appear identical to the ones on Sky. We also had the Trawlermen on board. Not our usual type of music, but it is a fun show. 

Why the long wait for the tender back from Guernsey? Was this a Princess issue? Seems like an unacceptable time to wait. 

Thanks for posting! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Kevin

There was another ship also tendering folks at guernsey. Their back on board was 1:30 and they were also running behind so they had to stop docking our tenders and only pick them up for a while. That made the line very long. 

• Thanks 1

Today is a sea day and I am glad for a bit of a rest. Before I list my complaints let me say I love cruising on princess and this is my second time on the Regal. This is also the first time I have had a balcony room (thank you upgrade). This is a great cruise to have a balcony. There always seems to be wonderful view, including other ships and small islands. Sadly my room has a musty smell, especially near the bathroom. For the first time ever on a princess ship my bed is hard and very uncomfortable. I am also very disappointed in princess live. I usually love going to trivia and the games but the seats in princess live are theater style and very narrow. That means my hip hurts when I sit in the seats and there are no tables so nowhere to sit your drink and no place to sit the paper to write your answers. I’ve given up going to the fun things being done in princess live which is disappointing. I am loving how approachable to captain is and I enjoy his daily announcements. The entertainment staff have all been lovely. They’ve done a great job talking to me and touching base. I have also enjoyed the shows and entertainers that have been on board. The food has been delicious. We are sailing at capacity and we’ve done fine using the elevators, including getting two wheelchairs on and off. I had been worried we would have a tough time getting around but it hasn’t been much of a problem. I’ve also met lots of lovely people. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kttraveler said:

I’ve given up going to the fun things being done in princess live which is disappointing. I am loving how approachable to captain is and I enjoy his daily announcements. 

The captain has been wonderful. I love his very pithy comments too. And his naughty reference to the 4 who were late back the other day and had to meet us at Greenock yesterday. Priceless!

The food, esp. the MDRs has been terrific. And even in the rare times I have visited the buffet there has been something delightful amid the adequate. I even had something approaching clarification around the confusion over the four plus packages/bundles for drinks/desserts/special cakes.

Shouty man at the excursion desk just now. Naturally I slowed down my walking past to get a better idea of his “woes”🤣🤣. He was arguing that he had the right to swap his upcoming excursion to a different one (that was now apparently booked up) and as an Elite passenger he needed to be on that excursion and they would make sure they fit him in…..yikes! I think he felt the louder he shouted, the more important he became. Oh dear. Great crew response to this idiot though.

We had a giggle at Bingo this morning….I mean, trashy does not even being cover the shenanigans that goes on around the actual calling of the numbers - but it was nonetheless fun in this “trapped in a weird you will take part alternate reality” affair. Oh, I’d do it again! But so many really lovely people on board.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, kttraveler said:

For the first time ever on a princess ship my bed is hard and very uncomfortable. I am also very disappointed in princess live. I usually love going to trivia and the games but the seats in princess live are theater style and very narrow. That means my hip hurts when I sit in the seats and there are no tables so nowhere to sit your drink and no place to sit the paper to write your answers.

Been on the Regal several times - yes, Princess Live was a big flaw in design aboard that ship.  The Enchanted Princess is open with bistro type tables - much better use of the space.

I agree that Princess beds are super comfortable but on Enchanted in February I thought I had one of the old mattresses - asked for an egg crate (wasn't even sure they had them anymore) - helped some but that was a huge disappointment.

Thanks for your updates - was able to goof with the "kids" last night (via text) - knowing what they had for dinner.  We were right 3 out of 4 🤪😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kttraveler said:

There was another ship also tendering folks at guernsey. Their back on board was 1:30 and they were also running behind so they had to stop docking our tenders and only pick them up for a while. That made the line very long. 

Ahh, that make sense. St Peter Port isn't large. On our sailing, Regal Princess will be the only ship in port on August 14.

Thank you for the answer and for your postings. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Kevin

59 minutes ago, Tyskie said:

Been on the Regal several times - yes, Princess Live was a big flaw in design aboard that ship.  The Enchanted Princess is open with bistro type tables - much better use of the space.

I agree that Princess beds are super comfortable but on Enchanted in February I thought I had one of the old mattresses - asked for an egg crate (wasn't even sure they had them anymore) - helped some but that was a huge disappointment.

Thanks for your updates - was able to goof with the "kids" last night (via text) - knowing what they had for dinner.  We were right 3 out of 4 🤪😂

Funny how different people have different tastes. We much prefer the theater-style layout of Regal's Princess Live vs the new layout on later ships. We sailed Enchanted last July and just got off Sky on Saturday, both with the bistro-type seating in Princess Live. I can see how the newer style Princess Live (much like Explorers Lounge on Grand-class ships) is better for trivia and other activities that you could use a table, but for shows like Yes/No, Liar's Club, etc., we feel the theater seating is better for viewing. Royal-class ships like Regal and Enchanted have the Vista Lounge for bistro seating, so the new Princess Live seems the same, but smaller, venue. I guess that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors. 🙂 

Sorry you had bad bedding on Enchanted. Since she is a new ship, it should have had all new bedding, as the fleet changed all bedding a number of years ago. We were in an M1 (club-class mini) on Enchanted last July and on Sky this month. Both mattresses were fine. 

Kevin

@kml246

It is so true - different people different experiences!

The seats in Princess Live are very uncomfortable.  Truthfully, we very rarely go there-but I can understand for trivia why it didn't work for many.  I'm not a game show gal but I need to give it a try, lately everyone has been commenting how funny it can be.

I was shocked with the bed in February - 🤷‍♀️ thought it was strange.  DH thought it was fine but he can sleep anywhere, lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tyskie said:

For the first time ever on a princess ship my bed is hard and very uncomfortable.

45 minutes ago, atlast95 said:

We were on the Regal last December and the beds were not as comfortable as we remembered.  Time for Princess to change them out.

Princess could send these "used" mattress's to the Crown, anything would be an improvement over their marshmello beds. Totally worn out.

9 hours ago, Tyskie said:

I thought I had read somewhere that they can flip the mattress?  That one side is firmer than the other?  I really dislike hard mattresses I hope this is true!  We will be on the Regal in September.

On 7/24/2023 at 3:00 PM, kttraveler said:

Liverpool was sunny but windy and therefore still chilly. The walk from the ship to get out of the pier is longer than usual and up an incline. If you have any mobility issues there is a free shuttle that will get you out of the pier. On the way back the shuttle will let you skip one of the two security checks. I swear I was asked to show my medallion eight times to get back on the boat. 

Where did you dock in Liverpool? Have been to Liverpool many times on Princess and never had a shuttle bus. Have always docked opposite the Liver building with only one security check into the ‘secure’ area and the usual check on the ship.

8 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

Where did you dock in Liverpool? Have been to Liverpool many times on Princess and never had a shuttle bus. Have always docked opposite the Liver building with only one security check into the ‘secure’ area and the usual check on the ship.

We docked in Liverpool right beside the Albert Dock. The shuttle was just to help people who would struggle with the steep elevation required to get off the dock. 

• Like 2

Today we did a Wow Scotland tour that took us to Cawdor Castle, clava clairns, Loch Ness, and Inverness. The tour wasn’t as handicap accessible as my mother had assumed when she booked it so my parents stayed on board the van. I enjoyed getting out at each stop and having several outlander moments. Our driver was very informative and helpful. I would highly recommend wow Scotland as long as you can manage the steps to get on and off the small bus. 

We got back to the ship just in time for our early dinner. Menu and tomorrows patter are attached. Tonight’s show is fiera and I’m looking forward to it. 

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4343.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4345.jpeg

IMG_4346.jpeg

• Like 3

Today I had a fabulous outlander tour with Rabbies. I can highly recommend them (and my driver Neil). We tendered in for Edinburgh and then I caught bus X99, which was waiting at the pier, into town. I jogged across Andrews square to the bus station to meet my tour. I was cutting it closer than I like because the whole trip from boat to bus station took almost an hour. Catching bus X99 was easy and it took me right to the heart of town. I could see Edinburgh castle as we pulled out of the bus station so it was in walking distance.  I heard others looking at the hop on hop offs in Edinburgh and I was shocked at the nearly sixty pound price, much more than the others I’ve done so far. I got back after my scheduled dinner time so my dad and I went to Alfredo’s (so you get the menu from the app). Edinburgh seems like a good place to plan ahead what you want to do and how you want to do if the hop on hop Off really is that expensive. You can get tours for less than that and see things outside the city. Catching bus X99 is easy but plan for the 20-25 minute tender plus the 30 minute bus ride into town. 

IMG_4540.jpeg

IMG_4541.jpeg

IMG_4542.png

IMG_4543.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kttraveler said:

I heard others looking at the hop on hop offs in Edinburgh and I was shocked at the nearly sixty pound price, much more than the others I’ve done so far.

This will be for the "Royal Edinburgh" ticket, which includes all three HoHo routes, plus entry to Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace and the Royal Yacht Britannia. https://edinburghtour.com/royal-edinburgh-ticket/

On 7/24/2023 at 3:07 PM, azbirdmom said:

I had to look it up.  Looks like the only stop left in Liverpool this year will be on the Island Princess. And Liverpool will be on some of the British Isles itineraries next year.  It's a fabulous port that we immensely enjoyed so I'm happy that Princess isn't outright abandoning Liverpool like they have Guernsey.

Like you I just shake my head about those who fail to be back onboard on time.  Liverpool is such a walkable port stop that you'd have to just not paying attention to miss the ship.  I'd be with you with the popcorn.  We've toasted people with our wine while on our balcony as the ship has pulled away leaving frantic idiots running and screaming to try to get the ship to come back.

I'm on the regal princess September 29th-October 10th and we are stopping in Liverpool.  (or at least I hope we are!) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

This will be for the "Royal Edinburgh" ticket, which includes all three HoHo routes, plus entry to Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace and the Royal Yacht Britannia. https://edinburghtour.com/royal-edinburgh-ticket/

That makes so much more sense! That would be too much for one day. 

2 hours ago, Esjung1 said:

I'm on the regal princess September 29th-October 10th and we are stopping in Liverpool.  (or at least I hope we are!) 

Yes, I saw that after I responded, I hadn't gone out far enough in the schedule to see it.  Enjoy Liverpool, we sure had a fantastic visit there!

11 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Yes, I saw that after I responded, I hadn't gone out far enough in the schedule to see it.  Enjoy Liverpool, we sure had a fantastic visit there!

What did you do in Liverpool, we haven't officially planned anything yet so open to suggestions? I was looking at the Beatles Mystery Bus Tour or maybe the HOHO bus. We have a mixed group of ages so not everyone is into the Beatles but it still looks interesting.. 

2 hours ago, Esjung1 said:

What did you do in Liverpool, we haven't officially planned anything yet so open to suggestions? I was looking at the Beatles Mystery Bus Tour or maybe the HOHO bus. We have a mixed group of ages so not everyone is into the Beatles but it still looks interesting.. 

We did the Beatles Story and the Magical Mystery Tour on our own.  Absolutely loved it but we are all Beatles fans.

We pre-booked the 11 AM Magical Mystery Tour.  We left the ship at 8:15 and walked over to Albert Dock.  We got to The Beatles Story and bought our tickets there.  We beat the crowds from the Princess excursion bus so we had the place pretty much to ourselves for a while.

The Magical Mystery Tour ticket office and bus stop is pretty much next door to The Beatles Story so this makes it a nice combo if you get off the ship early enough.  The bus tour was fun too. Lots of interesting tidbits provided by the tour guide with stops at some of the more interesting places like Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, and Paul's boyhood home which is now a museum.

At the end we were dropped off about a block from the Cavern Club.  Since they actually run the Magical Mystery Tour your bus ticket gets you admission into the Cavern Club.  Really interesting place, it could be a museum!  We listened to music and had a pint before walking back to the ship.