Live British Isles July 19-31 Princess Regal

kttraveler

Can I back you up to Guernsey.  Did you need to get tender tickets for your trip ashore?  We are part of a small group that wish to take the same tender as we are on the same shore excursion.  Interested in what the tendering process entails.

6 minutes ago, blackfly said:

Can I back you up to Guernsey.  Did you need to get tender tickets for your trip ashore?  We are part of a small group that wish to take the same tender as we are on the same shore excursion.  Interested in what the tendering process entails.

On our cruise at the end of June we did not need to get tender tickets.  We were told to go directly to the tender.  That was at 7:45 and we were at the dock well in advance of our independent 9 AM tour.  We attributed it to the fact that there were hardly any tours offered so most folks probably waited until later to go ashore.

Tendering started around 7:30 and the first flood of passengers was over very quick. Then there was a period when no ticket was required. One hour later, when the majority of passengers finished breakfast and wanted to leave the ship, tickets were required again. But waiting time was only 10 min.

But be aware of very long lines when coming back to the ship. We showed up at the pier around 2pm and touched the ship at 4pm.

Lovely meal in MDR last night - the only misfire was the Alfredo fettuccine which was dreadful: the pasta was undercooked (far too firm, almost crunchy, rather than the al dente it should be) and the sauce was so watery and bland rather than rich and unctuous. It was like a poor ready-meal dish, which stuck out as the rest of the meal was exceptional. The beef tenderloin in particular was so succulent and full of flavour.

And a superb show last night with “Bravo”. It restarted after an emergency in the audience: I hope the chap is ok and thoughts to him and his party who I know would have been particularly worried. But much praise goes the impressive emergency team - it is so reassuring to know how speedy and great they are when a situation happens. As for the show, it was glorious. The orchestra sounded rich and vibrant and the singers were impressively talented: a fabulous and classy way to wind down the evening.

In beautiful Cobh today - about to hop onto the train by the ship and do our own thing as the coastline and the like is gorgeous.

IMG_0071.jpeg

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Camberley said:

Lovely meal in MDR last night - the only misfire was the Alfredo fettuccine which was dreadful: the pasta was undercooked (far too firm, almost crunchy, rather than the al dente it should be) and the sauce was so watery and bland rather than rich and unctuous. It was like a poor ready-meal dish, which stuck out as the rest of the meal was exceptional. The beef tenderloin in particular was so succulent and full of flavour.

And a superb show last night with “Bravo”. It restarted after an emergency in the audience: I hope the chap is ok and thoughts to him and his party who I know would have been particularly worried. But much praise goes the impressive emergency team - it is so reassuring to know how speedy and great they are when a situation happens. As for the show, it was glorious. The orchestra sounded rich and vibrant and the singers were impressively talented: a fabulous and classy way to wind down the evening.

In beautiful Cobh today - about to hop onto the train by the ship and do our own thing as the coastline and the like is gorgeous.

IMG_0071.jpeg

Dinner was good and the show was fabulous. Luckily I went to the early one and was back in my room when the medical announcement was made. I took a princess excursion to Blarney Castle and wish I had just struck out on my own. Public transport didn’t appear to come to the castle and it seemed like a must do when I was looking at what to do. I didn’t kiss the stone. The gardens were beautiful and I enjoyed exploring. Our bus guide was very informative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Camberley said:

the only misfire was the Alfredo fettuccine which was dreadful: the pasta was undercooked (far too firm, almost crunchy, rather than the al dente it should be) and the sauce was so watery and bland rather than rich and unctuous.

On our cruise last month I also found that the fettuccine Alfredo was subpar.  In my case the noodles were cooked but the dish was bland.  I learned that asking for 2 - 3 scoops of parmesan solved it and it tasted pretty good after that.  I don't think they are putting much cheese in it in the kitchen and that's something that I've experienced on the Regal in the past too.

3 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

For anyone in the planning stages, paddy wagon tours are always a good option for Ireland. They have a Blarney tour and pick up from the ship.

We used them in Cobh/Cork and agree.

10 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

On our cruise last month I also found that the fettuccine Alfredo was subpar.  In my case the noodles were cooked but the dish was bland.  I learned that asking for 2 - 3 scoops of parmesan solved it and it tasted pretty good after that.  I don't think they are putting much cheese in it in the kitchen and that's something that I've experienced on the Regal in the past too.

Oh I added loads more Parmesan but that sadly didn’t rescue this monstrosity. 

• Like 1

If you want to venture out on your own the train station was right across from the ship. The signs advertise you will be in cork in 24 minutes. If you have little ones there are parks a short walk from both ends of the ship. I walked around Cobh when I got back from my excursion and it was quaint. If you stay in the pier area you can visit the Queensland heritage museum or titanic experience. Since I am doing something similar in a couple stops I decided to not spend the money. 

My parents were booked on a handicap excursion east cork drive. They were in a van so no steps. They had a fabulous driver and your guide. It was very well done. 

The dinner menu and tomorrows patter will be posted soon. 

• Like 2

I am KTTraveler's mom and a handicapped traveler. We had the best accessible tour ever today. It was through Princess and in an accessible van with a lift at the rear. There were tie downs in seating area but I chose to get out of my chair and transfer to a seat. Our guide, Ursula, and our driver, John/Sean were both excellent.

Our accessible cabin B434 leaves a bit to be desired. The bathroom door is operated with a push button but not the entry door. It is smaller than previous handicapped rooms we have had on Princess. I must use a walker to enter the bathroom as there is insufficient room to approach the bath door and the wheelchair gets stuck. Also the automatic door does not stay open long enough for me to enter before closing on me and the walker. My other niggle is that the phone is across the room on the desk not on the bedside table.

Regardless, this is a great cruise so far.

I was actually a bit confused by who is the captain of the Regal. There is a display of all senior officers. All seems to be accurate except Captain Timothy Stringer as the actual Captain is Paolo Arrigo which presented himself yesterday at the Piazza. 

Strange. 

Another question:  Does Princess provide a shuttle bus into Weymouth from the Portland cruise port?  If so, do you know where it lets people off/on?

Thank you and I am happy to see that you are having a great cruise.  We will boarding on September 5.

Bill

On 7/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, CruiserMickey said:

Thanks for doing this live trip report!

Is there any chance you will be visiting the Future Cruise desk? If so, could you please post the list of cruises offered at 50% off? 

Eagerly awaiting your next updates! 😃

I walked by a couple times today and there has always been a line. I will keep my eyes open and if they are free I will ask. 

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

Another question:  Does Princess provide a shuttle bus into Weymouth from the Portland cruise port?  If so, do you know where it lets people off/on?

Thank you and I am happy to see that you are having a great cruise.  We will boarding on September 5.

Bill

Bill,

From my own research for my September cruise

https://www.portland-port.co.uk/welcome+to+portland+port

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Bill

Yes, it drops off and picks up in same location, a few blocks from the harbor area. Easy walk.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

I was actually a bit confused by who is the captain of the Regal. There is a display of all senior officers. All seems to be accurate except Captain Timothy Stringer as the actual Captain is Paolo Arrigo which presented himself yesterday at the Piazza. 

Strange. 

I guess Capt Stringer must be on holiday or totally off the Regal.  It's just fun to "see where they are".  We enjoyed his company at tea one afternoon (pre-pandemic).  Just a nice gentleman!

On 7/20/2023 at 7:10 AM, Cat1404 said:

Hello

We are doing this cruise on 31 July…love seeing the menus!
We are lucky enough to live close to Southampton so embarkation is a breeze!

Thank you for giving us an insider pre cruise view!

Us too.  See you next week!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Tyskie said:

I guess Capt Stringer must be on holiday or totally off the Regal.  It's just fun to "see where they are".  We enjoyed his company at tea one afternoon (pre-pandemic).  Just a nice gentleman!

8 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

Strange. 

We were on the previous sailing. It was Captain Stringers last.  He announced that and had a lovely farewell to his whole crew. He mentioned during the Captains cocktail meet and greet that he will now be land based.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Yes, it drops off and picks up in same location, a few blocks from the harbor area. Easy walk.

6 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Bill,

From my own research for my September cruise

https://www.portland-port.co.uk/welcome+to+portland+port

Unfortunately due to protests about a barge being brought in to house immigrants we missed that port.  We were on the July 7-19 cruise.  Sad for the passengers and all the people port side who lost out on the revenue.

10 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

We were on the previous sailing. It was Captain Stringers last.  He announced that and had a lovely farewell to his whole crew. He mentioned during the Captains cocktail meet and greet that he will now be land based.  

Oh no!  I loved his noon talks.  We cruised with him twice last year and then last month.  Did he say what he would be doing and if he would still be with Princess?

Edited by azbirdmom

6 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Oh no!  I loved his noon talks.  We cruised with him twice this year and then last month.  Did he say what he would be doing and if he would still be with Princess?

I believe he will be land based with Princess.  He will be missed.  I loved his “Welcome back, Welcome home “ on port days.  

• Like 1