I’ve sailed with Celebrity on Millennium for an Alaskan cruise in September (smaller ship with horrible entertainment) and enjoyed the weather and relaxed vibe. I am not the type to go to the Caribbean or enjoy massive mall feeling cruise ships.

I am looking at taking NCL on a 15 day TA from Civitavecchia to NYC in December on Gem. I will be traveling solo and looking to book a guaranteed interior cabin.

The ports look amazing but the ship seems a little dated. Anyone have any experience with a long sailing on this ship? Am I missing any red flags? Do you think this is a good fit?

My Husband and I did a transatlantic on the NCL, Epic in 2019, as well as celebrity in 2018. We LOVED them both.  We heard other passengers that got a bit stir crazy ( board) with all the sea days, but we enjoyed those well deserved lazy days. 
Make sure you give yourself a minimum 3 days in Rome, unless you have been there previously.  
Personally I think you can have a wonderful time on any ship.

7 hours ago, ldock said:

My Husband and I did a transatlantic on the NCL, Epic in 2019, as well as celebrity in 2018. We LOVED them both.  We heard other passengers that got a bit stir crazy ( board) with all the sea days, but we enjoyed those well deserved lazy days. 
Make sure you give yourself a minimum 3 days in Rome, unless you have been there previously.  
Personally I think you can have a wonderful time on any ship.

I’ve been to Rome before so I’m not going to go to any of the big sights this time. Just planning on going to a museum or two. I definitely won’t get bored on a TA, between my embroidery and writing I have lots to keep me busy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 10:42 AM, SoloAlaska said:

I’ve sailed with Celebrity on Millennium for an Alaskan cruise in September (smaller ship with horrible entertainment) and enjoyed the weather and relaxed vibe. I am not the type to go to the Caribbean or enjoy massive mall feeling cruise ships.

I am looking at taking NCL on a 15 day TA from Civitavecchia to NYC in December on Gem. I will be traveling solo and looking to book a guaranteed interior cabin.

The ports look amazing but the ship seems a little dated. Anyone have any experience with a long sailing on this ship? Am I missing any red flags? Do you think this is a good fit?

What does "dated" mean?

6 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

The decor seemed older on this boat in some areas. I ended up booking it and am very much looking forward to my cruise.

Wow!!! You crossed the Atlantic in a "Boat".

Remember, ships carry boats, but boats don't carry ships.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:07 PM, SoloAlaska said:

The decor seemed older on this boat in some areas. I ended up booking it and am very much looking forward to my cruise.

Do you think the “decor” is an important factor?  If your priority is entertainment, then you should look to a cruise that will likely meet that want.  Decor is fine, but I would be happy in an old or new chair as long as it is a comfy chair.  Having cruised on more than 70 different ships of all sizes (20 passenger to over 4000) of all ages, we found that our favorite ships were among the oldest (Marco Polo and Prinsendam).  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We crossed on NCL's Encore in 2019 (maiden voyage).  Loved every minute of it.  In 2022, we did a TA on Escape.  That was an amazing itinerary, which started out as a Mediterranean cruise before crossing the Atlantic.  What's not to like?  In 2023, we crossed the Atlantic again, this time on RSSC's Voyager.  Fewer ports, but an incredible introduction to RSSC.  We loved it so much we have since booked three more RSSC cruises, including another TA.

We'll be doing another amazing cruise on NCL's Viva that begins as a Mediterranean, going to ports we have never visited, crosses the Atlantic, and ends up in the Caribbean, visiting ports DH has never seen.  We are very excited for that.

Sometimes it's all about the itinerary.  Sometimes it's all about the ship.  Sometimes it's both.  And while we love  cruise, there is something utterly relaxing and incredibly romantic about a TA crossing.  We tend to default to it.

Edited by ysolde

We Loved our TransPacific on the Jewel - SETP/OCT 2018 - before her Renovation

& we Enjoyed our TransAtlantic on the Getaway - OCT/NOV 2019...

We prefer the smaller/mid-size ships - so the Jewel Crossing beat the Getaway - but we still Enjoyed the Getaway...