Packing and clothing suggestions for Iceland/Norway Cruise

So, I have been checking the weather for our upcoming Iceland cruise next week. on the Prima and see that the temps are generally in the high 50's, partly cloudy and some rain.  I have read other suggestions about dressing in layers, have rain gear etc., but I was wondering if anyone who has taken this cruise has some specific suggestions.  Also, we generally like to change for dinner and most of our recent cruises have either been during the summer months or in warmer areas so  I usually just bring a few of my summer dresses. DH has his collared shirts and pants, but I am also wondering whether given the climate of the area I should rethink those.  I do tend to overpack (but our suitcases are never overweight!) Thanks in advance!  

We did a similar cruise on the Jade in August 2017. Looking back at our photos:
- In England, Scotland, and Norway, we wore fleece jackets, lightweight sweaters or sweatshirts, and lightweight rain jackets/windbreakers. Some of the stops, though, were warmer, though, so we also brought a couple of shorts/capris for during the day.
- In Iceland, we wore slightly heavier jackets and we also brought hats, lightweight scarves/neck warmers, and gloves (since we were planning on seeing glaciers and going whale watching there). If you have a jacket with a zip-out insulated lining, that would be perfect.

For dinners, I seem to recall bringing items that could be mixed and matched easily, like a pair of "dressy" black slacks or capris and a few different tops/blouses that could go with any of the pants. I don't think I brought any skirts or dresses for that trip. My DH brought polo shirts and maybe a button down shirt or two and wore them with jeans or khakis.

Iceland requires layers.  It could be 60 and sunny, or 40 and sideways rain, quite likely all in the same day.  I just got back and wore a light weight merino base layer, a fleece mid layer, a lightweight puffer jacket.  Pants were just hiking pants of a technical fabric that dried quickly.  I had a waterproof (not repellent) jacket and rain pants, ideally with a fabric that breathes, like gortex.  My daughter wore leggings under her pants as it was very windy most of the time we were there.  We all used hats, gloves, and a scarf/gaiter.

Yes, layers are important in Iceland.  If I recall correctly, I wore a lot of those quick dry hiking pants.

In Norway, I underestimated how cold and rainy it would be.  When we got off the ship in Bergen, somebody commented about the rain and the guy responded, "It's Norway, If it isn't snowing, it's raining."  So true!

On 7/18/2023 at 10:27 PM, sharonann24 said:

Also, we generally like to change for dinner and most of our recent cruises have either been during the summer months or in warmer areas so  I usually just bring a few of my summer dresses. DH has his collared shirts and pants, but I am also wondering whether given the climate of the area I should rethink those.

Do you tend to go out on deck before or after dinner? Thanks to climate controls, the interiors of the ships tend to be fairly similar regardless of the outside weather.

If you’re concerned, you could pack lightweight long-sleeved dresses. I often wear a cotton knit or a light crepe dress in that weather, but I also wear some of my summer dresses with a cardigan and tights. (yes, we even dress in layers for dinner and work! 😂)

2 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

Do you tend to go out on deck before or after dinner? Thanks to climate controls, the interiors of the ships tend to be fairly similar regardless of the outside weather.

If you’re concerned, you could pack lightweight long-sleeved dresses. I often wear a cotton knit or a light crepe dress in that weather, but I also wear some of my summer dresses with cardigan and tights. (yes, we even dress in layers for dinner and work! 😂)

Thank you.  I always have sweaters with my summer dresses and was just hoping to avoid the whole tights/hose issue.  I think otherwise we should be okay. We did a Christmas River cruise in late November and December and survived but the temps were 20 degrees colder.  Amsterdam was the most brutal because of the wind.

Amsterdam has nothing on Iceland.  The windstorm that happened while I was there shut down ferries, blew cars off the road, and drove rocks thru people's windshields.  In the calmer parts of the country, you had to make sure you parked your car correctly so the door wouldn't get blown off when you opened it.

It also depends a bit on how recently. We were in Iceland last month, and it was much less windy than the last time we were there a few years before the pandemic. The Icelandic friend traveling with us said that the climate has indeed changed a bit, and the wind is actually a lot less intense than it used to be.

But in Iceland, even “not as windy” is still pretty windy! This discussion came up in the context of whether tent was still a completely insane idea.

• Like 1

I was there end of May.  The locals were saying it was unusual and that strong winds like that were more common in winter.  However...climate change.  It seems like that's the story everywhere - unusual weather becoming more "usual."  (see our local "historic" heat wave here in Texas.)

Either way, Iceland is on the Arctic circle.  If you are driving, you check the government road condition and weather apps multiple times a day as standard practice.  Conditions frequently change quickly, and the weather is mercurial.  Best to always be prepared.  As a tourist, that means good clothes, layers, waterproofing.

We've become huge fans of "puffer" jackets.  They are very easy to stuff down to a minimum.  I can get my Men's XXL jacket into a 1-gallon Ziplock bag.  We used them on a recent Alaska cruise and they were great.

was there last week

Mrs was quite happy with a 'puffer' ($25 Costco!)

I took a gor-tex shell with a fleece liner and ended up never using the fleece. The shell broke the wind - fleece alone didn't. Never so cold I needed both ... it was hitting 60f ....

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your suggestions.  We just booked an O. Iceland to Copenhagen cruise for next July.  We both have puffers and sleeveless puffer vests so we are good to go.  I had not considered waterproof pants to wear.  Do you think they are essential?  We are arriving in Iceland a few days before the start of the cruise.  We expect to spend the first day at the Blue Lagoon prior to check-in and then the next day will be spent doing a day trip.   This post has caused me to rethink my wardrobe.

It really depends how much you'll truly be outside and exploring nature.  I did a south coast tour on a short break before a Baltic cruise in just light pants, wool socks, and sandals. I got a bit damp at the waterfalls and when it lightly rained on us off and on.  I had not wanted to bring a lot of extra clothes for just that 2 days.  The tour was mostly driving from one location to another, jumping out to see the waterfall or beach, then getting back in the car.

I recently returned from a week long trip to Iceland with a full kit of rain gear, hiking boots, etc.  We spent quite a bit of time outside, hiked in the rain and would have been soaked, cold, and miserable without the right clothes.

I'd for sure bring a waterproof rain jacket, since puffers tend to get very soggy when wet.  As for pants, it just depends how much you want to do outside no matter the weather.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, Nashna said:

Thank you all for your suggestions.  We just booked an O. Iceland to Copenhagen cruise for next July.  We both have puffers and sleeveless puffer vests so we are good to go.  I had not considered waterproof pants to wear.  Do you think they are essential?  We are arriving in Iceland a few days before the start of the cruise.  We expect to spend the first day at the Blue Lagoon prior to check-in and then the next day will be spent doing a day trip.   This post has caused me to rethink my wardrobe.

Take the rain pants. I thought I’d be fine in merino leggings over thermals; while wet wool might still be warm, it’s still wet, so I’d rather not risk it again. Even if it doesn’t rain, the pants will block the wind, which makes it worthwhile for me. Also, I wore a 32 Degrees fleece hoodie just about every day, over merino tops and under a rain shell, and I was comfortably warm without overheating. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bespin said:

Take the rain pants. I thought I’d be fine in merino leggings over thermals; while wet wool might still be warm, it’s still wet, so I’d rather not risk it again. Even if it doesn’t rain, the pants will block the wind, which makes it worthwhile for me. Also, I wore a 32 Degrees fleece hoodie just about every day, over merino tops and under a rain shell, and I was comfortably warm without overheating. 

Thank you, we will!  I don't want to spend the day miserable and not enjoying the tour.  Rain pants might also be handy as we sail to the Faroe & Shetland Islands, Norway, and Denmark.    This is our first time sailing in the Arctic Circle, and this information is truly helpful.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

On a Norway / Iceland cruise, we put waterproof cold weather rain gear into the PRIORITY BOX and every other piece of clothing into the not necessary box.  Dinners are not a priority for us.  And dressing for dinner, even less of a priority. The sun does not set until late and being out on the balcony watching the scenery go now that is top of mind.   

Can anyone recommend a good name brand of waterproof rain pants and jackets, and wool?    thank you! 1st trip to Norway and Iceland, and first trip to Europe coming up.

I love Smartwool products.  I have several shirts in light to mid-weight, socks, a neck gaiter, and a hat.  Waterproof outer layers really just depend what you want.  I hike, so looked for ones that I can zip on over my boots so I don't have to take my boots off in a sudden downpour.  I also wanted light weight, as the ounces add up in a back pack.  My rain jacket is breathable, with vents under the arms.

My husband, on the other hand, golfs, and his rain gear is bulky and heavy, but he's fine with it as mostly it rides in his cart (he drags it out for trips also.)

REI and Moosejaw are two companies I like for outdoor gear and technical fabric items.  They have good online stores, and Moosejaw has free returns.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ljandgb said:

I love Smartwool products.  I have several shirts in light to mid-weight, socks, a neck gaiter, and a hat.  Waterproof outer layers really just depend what you want.  I hike, so looked for ones that I can zip on over my boots so I don't have to take my boots off in a sudden downpour.  I also wanted light weight, as the ounces add up in a back pack.  My rain jacket is breathable, with vents under the arms.

My husband, on the other hand, golfs, and his rain gear is bulky and heavy, but he's fine with it as mostly it rides in his cart (he drags it out for trips also.)

REI and Moosejaw are two companies I like for outdoor gear and technical fabric items.  They have good online stores, and Moosejaw has free returns.

Thank you!

On 1/26/2024 at 2:30 AM, red4u2 said:

Can anyone recommend a good name brand of waterproof rain pants and jackets, and wool?    thank you! 1st trip to Norway and Iceland, and first trip to Europe coming up.

The most common name brand for waterproof outer layers is GoreTex - the material brand. It’s used by several very reputable outdoor clothing makers, but several also offer their own house-brand laminates that often work just as well.

For rain shells and pants, I’ve had good experience with several brands over the years: Outdoor Research, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, Columbia, LL Bean, Helly Hansen, Arcteryx, Bergans, Nøronna. For retailers carrying a variety of brands, off the top of my head I like BackCountry.com and MooseJaw.com

For wool, my favorite is Devold, followed by Helly Hansen. I recently got some sets from Ulvang and they seem to be pretty good, but they’re only one (fairly light) season in. I had a bad experience with an Alclima top deteriorating really quickly, but I don’t know if I just had a bad piece (don’t want to risk that much money on trying another item).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 4:26 AM, kaisatsu said:

The most common name brand for waterproof outer layers is GoreTex - the material brand. It’s used by several very reputable outdoor clothing makers, but several also offer their own house-brand laminates that often work just as well.

For rain shells and pants, I’ve had good experience with several brands over the years: Outdoor Research, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, Columbia, LL Bean, Helly Hansen, Arcteryx, Bergans, Nøronna. For retailers carrying a variety of brands, off the top of my head I like BackCountry.com and MooseJaw.com

For wool, my favorite is Devold, followed by Helly Hansen. I recently got some sets from Ulvang and they seem to be pretty good, but they’re only one (fairly light) season in. I had a bad experience with an Alclima top deteriorating really quickly, but I don’t know if I just had a bad piece (don’t want to risk that much money on trying another item).

I just saw your very kind detailed reply!  Thank you so very much!!  I'm so nervous about this trip!

Did Norway Iceland cruise August 2022 then 6days in Iceland. Yes, layers and be prepared for rain and wind. And as stated think about your activity level—light hiking on excursions no hiking at all etc.  But what you buy may also be related to your budget and will you use again in future at home. We had rain poncho to wear over our jackets and older Goretex parkas at the waterfalls and glacier lagoon. Our Goretex parkas got wet at neck and cuffs (without rain poncho)  when walking 30 minutes in Reykjavik in driving very windy rain. Had down vests, fleece 1/4zip, and wool sweaters. Some people prefer wool to fleece. Rainproof shoes (Goretex) essential. Got mine at REI on sale Salomonn ankle high  Enjoy. You will see spectacular beauty were you are traveling.