Has Regent changed to all "paper" for luggage tags and boarding documentation in a paper envelope?

We received our cruise documentation today in a plain paper envelope. It is all paper. Nothing nice, nothing quality. The Disney documentation we receive is head and shoulders above the quality that we received today for our August cruise. There isn't even anything to get excited about. I haven't seen much discussion lately, but I thought one of the perks of paying the Regent price, was the way you feel preparing for your cruise once your nice cruise documentation arrives. Did they cancel all the leather bound books, nice leather ( faux or not) luggage tags, etc? 

Just now, MamaMindy said:

We received our cruise documentation today in a plain paper envelope. It is all paper. Nothing nice, nothing quality. The Disney documentation we receive is head and shoulders above the quality that we received today for our August cruise. There isn't even anything to get excited about. I haven't seen much discussion lately, but I thought one of the perks of paying the Regent price, was the way you feel preparing for your cruise once your nice cruise documentation arrives. Did they cancel all the leather bound books, nice leather ( faux or not) luggage tags, etc? 

Yes.

40 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

That's disappointing.

Interest rates shot up through the roof and all the cruise companies have to refi their Covid debt at massively more expensive terms. They are all cutting costs for a bit.

I too just received our lousy pieces of paper.  This must have just changed as I sailed on Regent in February and received packet with the leather luggage tags.  Not as nice in the years past.  This is truly disappointing.  Why waste the postage on that I could just print at home.  Pathetic.  I plan to let them know how I feel about this

32 minutes ago, Ctart said:

I too just received our lousy pieces of paper.  This must have just changed as I sailed on Regent in February and received packet with the leather luggage tags.  Not as nice in the years past.  This is truly disappointing.  Why waste the postage on that I could just print at home.  Pathetic.  I plan to let them know how I feel about this

Email or call Corporate...they can't do anything on board.

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Email or call Corporate...they can't do anything on board.

I'm willing to call and email. That seems so trivial for "cost" cutting savings, but obvious it's a change, even from February.  Makes me wonder what else is "cut" from this advertised referenced "LUXURY" line. For some of us that are stepping up to the Luxury Line for the first time, and have read about the quality differences, this is not a good first impression. Let me know if anyone else gets a response. 

1 hour ago, MamaMindy said:

I'm willing to call and email. That seems so trivial for "cost" cutting savings, but obvious it's a change, even from February.  Makes me wonder what else is "cut" from this advertised referenced "LUXURY" line. For some of us that are stepping up to the Luxury Line for the first time, and have read about the quality differences, this is not a good first impression. Let me know if anyone else gets a response. 

Really this is old news and was dissuaded here several months ago. NCL announced earlier in the year that they were making a few changes to cut some cost without effecting the on board experience. Regent had done away with the fake leather pouch last year in Europe.
I, along with others, am glad to see the fake leather pouch go. Many of us toss them after getting the paper out.as they just take up space and don’t effect on the  luxury service Regent is known for.

• Like 5

Welcome to our world. As @cwn says, the Regent document packs in Europe disappeared early in 2022, with all documentation being issued by email.

After some early issues, Regent reinstated the sending of luggage tags only by mail.

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:

They are all cutting costs for a bit.

When we asked Regent about the withdrawal of the full document pack early last year the U.K. MD told us in writing that it was nothing to do with cost:

“There are a many reasons why we see this as a positive step forward for Regent, cost cutting does not feature in the study”

………….. and of course we believed him 🙄 🤣 

• Like 2

Seconding @flossie009's comment above.  Though we agree we don't need another pleather wallet with every set of cruise docs we receive, we can't help feeling that the current arrangement feels pretty mean.  Whilst the reintroduction of luggage tags is a plus (Yes, hard to believe that for a year or so, we were not even sent tags of any kind here) the old feeling of "woohoo!  Our cruise is really happening 🍾!" when the package arrives has gone.  The envelope with the tags just gets put on the pile with the bills...

There is surely a cost-efficient, environmentally friendly but stylish solution here?

• Like 3

I agree with MamaMindy and Ctart.

We are new Regent cruisers.

In the Uk we received blank luggage labels. Nothing else. Not coloured by deck or even a stateroom number on them. Although this subject has been discussed on here it was a huge disappointment when opening the envelope to find just blank labels….not even a lousy piece of paper for the UK guests!!!
In contrast we have received on average 3 mailings from Regent each week since we booked over 6 months ago. 
Following advice from other Uk posters I rang Regent Uk and asked as first time cruisers if we might have the suitcase luggage tags which I believed they still had a stock of.
The answer was No. 

It’s all very well to say Covid gave cruise companies debts however IMHO appearances are everything in the world of cruising and Regent have dropped the ball in our eyes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, welshfamily said:

I agree with MamaMindy and Ctart.

We are new Regent cruisers.

In the Uk we received blank luggage labels. Nothing else. Not coloured by deck or even a stateroom number on them. Although this subject has been discussed on here it was a huge disappointment when opening the envelope to find just blank labels….not even a lousy piece of paper for the UK guests!!!
In contrast we have received on average 3 mailings from Regent each week since we booked over 6 months ago. 
Following advice from other Uk posters I rang Regent Uk and asked as first time cruisers if we might have the suitcase luggage tags which I believed they still had a stock of.
The answer was No. 

It’s all very well to say Covid gave cruise companies debts however IMHO appearances are everything in the world of cruising and Regent have dropped the ball in our eyes. 

Hopefully most of the 15% cuts they announced in non-fuel costs will be invisible. It isn't effecting service, food or the experience in general and the luggage tags are now given out when hitting SSS levels. You can also opt-out of the catalog mailings....but those should decrease in frequency as well. TBH, there is really nothing in the pre-cruise package that you even need to bring with you - all you really need is a passport and a credit card.

• Like 3

I guess I'm different than many.   For me, the excitement of the upcoming cruise never counted on a fake leather pouch.  Was it nice?  Sure... but we don't keep them or re-use them so pretty much a waste.  As for printed luggage tags,... again...nice but not necessary.  We were loyal Royal Caribbean passengers until I found Regent.  Royal Caribbean stopped sending ANY mail documents YEARS AGO. They were all downloaded and we'd have to print our own luggage tags (or get them from a porter at the port).  If you wanted paper documents you had to request them.  And I believe (may be wrong on this) they charged for printed luggage tags.  So, my "pre-cruise excitement?"  Printing my luggage tags!  Seriously!  That meant the cruise was imminent.  It would be the last thing gathered and placed along with the passports, tip money, etc.  It meant the cruise was about here.  

So I'm good with printing my own if that saves money.  For us (my last cruise was last May) downloading the Boarding Pass into my phone was the ultimate of pre-cruise excitement. The cruise was ON!  And I could look at it any time of any day while waiting to leave by simply pulling it up on my phone!!! A pre-cruise "gift that keeps on giving!"  Can't do that with paper docs.😎

So I admit that I realize that after losing BILLIONS due to Covid, the cruise lines have to make it up.  Royal Caribbean has cut back cabin service to once a day, reduced their menus, and added charges for many things that were once free.  Giving up faux leather pouches and printed luggage tags is, IMHO, a "minor" sacrifice I'm willing to endure. 

By the way, I agree they can stop sending brochures, however they must feel there's enough business generated to warrant the expense.  Not involved with the decision making so I can't really say. 

• Like 10

I appreciate all the feedback.  Personally, I can't accept the "cost cutting" measure as a valid excuse for an advertised Luxury Cruise line resorting to fill in your own, paper luggage tags, but that's just me. IMO, If I was Regent and I wanted to sell and resell my product, I would always want the first introduction and excitement about your upcoming vacation to be a bit more splashy and welcoming.  Again, Disney has a way of packaging your paper cruise docs in a way that you are excited to get those filled in and attached!  And that's a family, kid cruise IMO. 

We picked Regent for an adult, LUXURY branded cruise. They advertise and set the stage for "expectations". Mine were higher than what Disney delivers and this packaging failed.   Regent has already raked in the money upfront, so it feels so "blah"..."your cruise is coming".. "we are so excited to welcome you that we want you to fill out these paper tags from this bland envelope."

For those of you that travel extensively with Regent, I understand you don't "need" anymore and it's wasteful.  I'm not there yet. We haven't had the budget for Luxury cruising and now that we can make the choice, it's just not as advertised from the start. For me, choosing to step up to the Luxury brand, it feels "blah" and "uninviting" at the start.  Option for Regent:  They could send them out to first time cruisers/ guests.  For returning cruisers, they could ask for their preferences during online set up.  That wouldn't be as wasteful.  Paper delivery envelope, paper tags, etc...  It is what it is, it's definitely not an example of Luxury.  

Thank you for an open opportunity to discuss what is happening in the world of cruising and NCL's examples of cutbacks.  This isn't a big deal. I'm sure the service will be priceless.  Princess is switching to Medallions  and RCCL, Disney is using "apps" now, which are all good changes.  Agree:  Just let me print it off at home like the other lines and put it in my Amazon plastic tag protector. At the end of the day: we all have to attach our stateroom location to our luggage.  Moving on to have a fabulous day!! Hope you all do too and are looking forward to your cruise.. any day on a cruise is better than a day in the office! 

Edited by MamaMindy
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, MamaMindy said:

I appreciate all the feedback.  Personally, I can't accept the "cost cutting" measure as a valid excuse for an advertised Luxury Cruise line resorting to fill in your own, paper luggage tags, but that's just me. IMO, If I was Regent and I wanted to sell and resell my product, I would always want the first introduction and excitement about your upcoming vacation to be a bit more splashy and welcoming.  Again, Disney has a way of packaging your paper cruise docs in a way that you are excited to get those filled in and attached!  And that's a family, kid cruise IMO. 

We picked Regent for an adult, LUXURY branded cruise. They advertise and set the stage for "expectations". Mine were higher than what Disney delivers and this packaging failed.   Regent has already raked in the money upfront, so it feels so "blah"..."your cruise is coming".. "we are so excited to welcome you that we want you to fill out these paper tags from this bland envelope."

For those of you that travel extensively with Regent, I understand you don't "need" anymore and it's wasteful.  I'm not there yet. We haven't had the budget for Luxury cruising and now that we can make the choice, it's just not as advertised from the start. For me, choosing to step up to the Luxury brand, it feels "blah" and "uninviting" at the start.  Option for Regent:  They could send them out to first time cruisers/ guests.  For returning cruisers, they could ask for their preferences during online set up.  That wouldn't be as wasteful.  Paper delivery envelope, paper tags, etc...  It is what it is, it's definitely not an example of Luxury.  

Thank you for an open opportunity to discuss what is happening in the world of cruising and NCL's examples of cutbacks.  

If it makes you feel any better, we have always had to fill out our own luggage tags. They always arrived blank and I am Titanium and a TA with 5 million in bookings. I am not trying to discount your feelings, just providing some factual perspective. Covid came THIS CLOSE to wiping out the cruise industry....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

If it makes you feel any better, we have always had to fill out our own luggage tags. They always arrived blank and I am Titanium and a TA with 5 million in bookings. I am not trying to discount your feelings, just providing some factual perspective. Covid came THIS CLOSE to wiping out the cruise industry....

I appreciate your thoughts. It's a silly topic to discuss overall,  it's all about unmet expectations that's all.  We are thankful cruising is still here, and I'm sure the cruise lines are also, because bookings are through the roof. They should all be feeling the "love"! Now to work on their balance sheets, which I think they are working through. 

2 minutes ago, MamaMindy said:

I appreciate your thoughts. It's a silly topic to discuss overall,  it's all about unmet expectations that's all.  We are thankful cruising is still here, and I'm sure the cruise lines are also, because bookings are through the roof. They should all be feeling the "love"! Now to work on their balance sheets, which I think they are working through. 

Agreed. Wall street is seeing and rewarding the efforts. IMO, I think these measure will remain in place through the end of 2024 and then they will be re-evaluated.

10 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Agreed. Wall street is seeing and rewarding the efforts. IMO, I think these measure will remain in place through the end of 2024 and then they will be re-evaluated.

Just curious, do you have a preference, or do your clients between Silver Sea versus Regent. 

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Regent across the board - less formal, more comfortable and welcoming and I think the service is a level above. SS might be more FORM whereas Regent is more SUBSTANCE..if that makes sense. 

Yes. That would be what we are looking for. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

If it makes you feel any better, we have always had to fill out our own luggage tags.

I was going to mention that.  I'm pretty much done cruising I think, but frankly I found the waste of all those pleather cases and cloth bags kind of offensive.  I'd prefer everything to be electronic, including printable luggage tags.

(Guess I could have complained about the Radisson/Regent pins--they used to give them out to all repeat cruises, you know. Another big waste.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

I don’t know what the staffing situation is at Regent’s home office, but if it is like that in my location, Regent is understaffed. Businesses in many areas can’t hire the people they need to provide their historical level of service, no matter how much they raise salaries and wages. Regent may not have the staff to assemble and mail out the packet it used to send. Or perhaps there was a problem with the supplier of these items. The main thing is the onboard experience. My wife just returned from a “girls cruise” with our daughter and grand daughter on the Explorer. After more Regent (and Radisson) cruises that we can count, she reports that it was the best cruise yet. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Hopefully most of the 15% cuts they announced in non-fuel costs will be invisible. It isn't effecting service, food or the experience in general and the luggage tags are now given out when hitting SSS levels. You can also opt-out of the catalog mailings....but those should decrease in frequency as well. TBH, there is really nothing in the pre-cruise package that you even need to bring with you - all you really need is a passport and a credit card.

This is very true. Due to some sort of snafu with the online check in, we were not able to complete it and there was nothing in the printed packet that was particularly helpful. With great trepidation, we arrived at the terminal with passport and credit card and were whisked away with no problem at all.

Actually the very easiest check in ever was with a small boutique line whose name I will not mention.

We arrived with untagged luggage (they took care of that), check in was a card table with a flower arrangement on it. Presented our passports, names were checked off the list and we walked on the ship.

Actually, if it's less paper, it's less to keep track of and is it really necessary? I'm all for getting rid of stuff I don't really need, particularly plastic I'll never use again.

• Like 3