First time cruiser needing Galveston info

abdulazeez77

We will be starting on a cruise from Galveston. We will be arriving at HOU airport. We don't intend renting a car since rental would be a waste for the 7 days we are on cruise. Are there any Galveston hotels providing pick up from airport and also dropping off at the cruise terminal? We intend to arrive one day early and stay at the hotel. On the return trip my cruise arrives around 7am. What time should I book my return flight and what are transportation options from Galveston to HOU airport?

15 hours ago, abdulazeez77 said:

We will be starting on a cruise from Galveston. We will be arriving at HOU airport. We don't intend renting a car since rental would be a waste for the 7 days we are on cruise. Are there any Galveston hotels providing pick up from airport and also dropping off at the cruise terminal? We intend to arrive one day early and stay at the hotel. On the return trip my cruise arrives around 7am. What time should I book my return flight and what are transportation options from Galveston to HOU airport?

To add some details I will be traveling wife and two kids 9 and 6. We are taking the royal Caribbean cruise. I read somewhere that it is not walkable to the port. Should I take a hotel nearby that will have a drop at the cruise terminal or stay overnight at hotel next to Hobby airport and then take a shuttle the next day to the cruise? Do you recommend a certain shuttle service or should I get the cruise transfer? Also on the way back, is it easy to get back to the airport?

1 hour ago, abdulazeez77 said:

To add some details I will be traveling wife and two kids 9 and 6. We are taking the royal Caribbean cruise. I read somewhere that it is not walkable to the port. Should I take a hotel nearby that will have a drop at the cruise terminal or stay overnight at hotel next to Hobby airport and then take a shuttle the next day to the cruise? Do you recommend a certain shuttle service or should I get the cruise transfer? Also on the way back, is it easy to get back to the airport?

It’s good that you are flying to hobby since it is about 30 mins closer than the other airport, I like staying at doubletree I believe there is a free shuttle if not it’s a very short taxi or Uber . I would Uber both ways or Lyft since that I think might be cheaper than rccl transfer for 4. I wouldn’t get any flights back before noon.

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, George C said:

It’s good that you are flying to hobby since it is about 30 mins closer than the other airport, I like staying at doubletree I believe there is a free shuttle if not it’s a very short taxi or Uber . I would Uber both ways or Lyft since that I think might be cheaper than rccl transfer for 4. I wouldn’t get any flights back before noon.

Doubletree near the port or airport?

32 minutes ago, George C said:

So you used Uber or Lyft to get from hotel to port terminal? Is it reliable and on time? I see some posts about Galveston shuttle as well.

20 minutes ago, abdulazeez77 said:

So you used Uber or Lyft to get from hotel to port terminal? Is it reliable and on time? I see some posts about Galveston shuttle as well.

We have cruised out of Galveston a lot but not in last 5 years , normally we used to get a limo or towncar to take us , we now use Uber or Lyft for all cruises from all ports mostly Florida but we are also taking a rccl cruise out of Galveston this november and planning on doing one or the other , I would make sure you have both apps on your phone, when requesting they tell you approximately time car will arrive , you will need a larger car considering 4 passengers and luggage.

3 minutes ago, dog said:

Galveston shuttle charges per person. Uber taxi does not.

I suggest a Galveston hotel. There are some along Seawall suggested and Moody Gardens.  

We are staying at moody gardens this November,I only suggested doubletree because it is a cheaper option I believe.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dog said:

Galveston shuttle charges per person. Uber taxi does not.

I suggest a Galveston hotel. There are some along Seawall suggested and Moody Gardens.  

A lot depends on which terminal and day of the week you are sailing. If there is an event on many Galveston hotels require two night stay at a weekend.  

The link in post #2 gives major options and information and hotels and transport are discussed regularly on this board with info from locals.

56 minutes ago, abdulazeez77 said:

Can someone guide me on how to get activities on days on land? I was told booking through cruise line is more expensive and I should search out local providers.

Go to the local port of call board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

There will be one for each of the ports you are stopping at.

47 minutes ago, abdulazeez77 said:

Do I just search for where the ship is going on each day and search for the port of call board on the forums?

Yes and you will see local activities, locations and vendors discussed in previous posts or you can ask a new question if you have something specific.

Best to browse previous threads first for options. Some ports of call forums are more active than others. 

I started booking the shows after downloading the app. But many activities like diving, snorkeling etc seems to be filled up or filling up fast. Also shore excursions seem very expensive through the cruise line. What is the best way to plan this so that we don't miss out on activities. Also I am going on the royal Caribbean. Is there a place where I can ask for guidance on how to plan the trip with activities and what I should book upfront so that we don't miss out on experiences? This is my first time cruising 

Edited by abdulazeez77

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

A lot depends on which terminal and day of the week you are sailing. If there is an event on many Galveston hotels require two night stay at a weekend.  

The link in post #2 gives major options and information and hotels and transport are discussed regularly on this board with info from locals.

Obviously. OP needs to see availability for their specific dates.