CocoCay Day

Hello, and TIA for your suggestions:

We've never been here before and are unsure of how to make the best of the time when we arrive in a few weeks.  When we get off the ship, which areas do you recommend we head to?  We would like 4 lounges, a snorkeling area (we bring our own equipment), access to a nearby pool, and of course, the included food.  We are 4 adults that do not drink alcohol, so bar locations are not a factor. I appreciate all of your varied opinions.  😉 🏖️

We always do chill island because there is some good snorkeling there with a sunken ship. We usually get a chill island beach bed, last time that was $299 and includes up to 4 people. It come with a cooler stocked with 4 waters, 2 lounge chairs, one umbrella, 2 floating mats and of course the covered beach bed. Also no need to take towels from the ship because they are supplied with the beach bed. It’s close to bathrooms, not far from food. We never used the pool because when in the Caribbean we prefer the sea as we can use a pool a home (and on the ship). Enjoy your Perfect Day at Coco Cay!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

We always do chill island because there is some good snorkeling there with a sunken ship. We usually get a chill island beach bed, last time that was $299 and includes up to 4 people. It come with a cooler stocked with 4 waters, 2 lounge chairs, one umbrella, 2 floating mats and of course the covered beach bed. Also no need to take towels from the ship because they are supplied with the beach bed. It’s close to bathrooms, not far from food. We never used the pool because when in the Caribbean we prefer the sea as we can use a pool a home (and on the ship). Enjoy your Perfect Day at Coco Cay!!

If we don't rent a beach bed, do we have to pay for floating mats?  Are towels always provided, or only for renters of the beach bed?

15 minutes ago, pudy68 said:

If we don't rent a beach bed, do we have to pay for floating mats?  Are towels always provided, or only for renters of the beach bed?

Yes, you would have to pay for mats. There are towel stations on the island just like at the pool on the ship, so no one needs to bring them... we prefer to, however, so we can head right to our favorite spot and not worry about grabbing towels there.

• Like 1

Get off early to get a premo spot with a view (I know, easier said than done for some, but since I’m a super early riser it’s easy for me to say ;)).  Also, I’ve seen a lot of people buying these on Amazon for floating…

lol, I see that my link didn’t work, so I deleted it.  Just go into amazon, and search for mesh inflatable pool float.  It’s mesh in the middle, and the ends are inflatable.   I have one, but don’t bring it with.  It seems to work well if your under 200 lbs… not sure about heavier people.

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 1

Before you arrive, choose the beach you want to visit so you can head out straight away /claim a good chair.  The chairs are arranged in groups of 2+small table or 4+ small table, and the front-row chairs will be claimed relatively fast.  The best way to choose is by watching You Tube videos ahead of time, but -- assuming you don't want to pay -- you essentially have four choices:  

- Chill Island -- relatively quiet, good beach, hammocks nearby in total shade, near Chill Grill for lunch

- South Beach -- beach is much like Chill Island, but the water isn't quite as nice, games, near Skipper Grill for lunch 

- Breezy Bay -- smaller than the first two beaches, quiet

- The pool -- located in the center of the island, the pool is loud, definitely a party atmosphere 

For what you're considering, I'd think you'd start your day at one of the beaches, then move over to the pool later in the day.  

Other thoughts: 

- No breakfast on the island, so you'll want to get up early enough to eat on the ship.  Or make yourself a breakfast sandwich and take it with you.  

- You say you don't want alcohol, but you might want to buy a soda.  The bars open before the lunch facilities.  Drinks are available at the two big lunch spots maybe 10:30-ish, and lunch starts about 11:00.  

- Definitely BYO snorkeling equipment.  

- Consider bringing your own floating mats or pool noodles instead of renting.  We have some great mats with a blow-up ring around the edge /mesh in the middle -- they're over a decade old.  

- The island offers towel stations (check out or trade for fresh towels), but I personally think it's easier to bring your own from the ship /not have to search out a towel station.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I see that my link didn’t work, so I deleted it.  Just go into amazon, and search for mesh inflatable pool float.  It’s mesh in the middle, and the ends are inflatable.   I have one, but don’t bring it with.  It seems to work well if your under 200 lbs… not sure about heavier people.

Do these deflate well so that packing them to go home isn't an issue?

Just now, pudy68 said:

Do these deflate well so that packing them to go home isn't an issue?

Look at your local stores for inflatable pool noodles.  We got some years ago on a CVS end of summer clearance sale for 25 cents.  Takes no time for my DH to blow up two of them and then we just squish them and roll them up to get the air out.  The two noodles we bring fit easily in a quart sized ziploc bag.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The best way to choose is by watching You Tube videos ahead of time - Now, why didn't I think of that!

- Chill Island -- relatively quiet, good beach, hammocks nearby in total shade, near Chill Grill for lunch - This sounds perfect!

- South Beach -- beach is much like Chill Island, but the water isn't quite as nice, games, near Skipper Grill for lunch 

- Breezy Bay -- smaller than the first two beaches, quiet

- The pool -- located in the center of the island, the pool is loud, definitely a party atmosphere 

For what you're considering, I'd think you'd start your day at one of the beaches, then move over to the pool later in the day.  Are there normally any lounges available later in the day?  I'd expect they will all be taken all day.

Other thoughts: 

- No breakfast on the island, so you'll want to get up early enough to eat on the ship.  Or make yourself a breakfast sandwich and take it with you.  Brilliant!

- You say you don't want alcohol, but you might want to buy a soda.  The bars open before the lunch facilities.  Drinks are available at the two big lunch spots maybe 10:30-ish, and lunch starts about 11:00.  

- Definitely BYO snorkeling equipment.  

- Consider bringing your own floating mats or pool noodles instead of renting.  We have some great mats with a blow-up ring around the edge /mesh in the middle -- they're over a decade old.  Vacationlover made the same suggestion.  I just need to know I can get them back home since they never deflate as small as they start out.

- The island offers towel stations (check out or trade for fresh towels), but I personally think it's easier to bring your own from the ship /not have to search out a towel station.  

Thanks for all the great info, Mum!

2 hours ago, pudy68 said:

Yes you would have to pay for a mat, I would recommend doing that in the app or course planner before your cruise because they are a few dollars cheaper then. I have seen the beach beds for $199 on south beach if that price is better for you, but that beach is further away. As others said you can get towels on the island but I can’t tell you exact where because we get them with the beach bed. I did see people using the blow up ones that someone suggested from Amazon, if you want to pack something like that. 

• Like 1

Silly question, but would we use these mesh floaters in the ocean, assuming calm waters and no rip currents, or do you mean for the pool?

Amazon's product name: Kelsyus Spring Float Hammock Pool Lounge Chair, Light Blue

currently $28.31 USD

1 minute ago, pudy68 said:

Silly question, but would we use these mesh floaters in the ocean, assuming calm waters and no rip currents, or do you mean for the pool?

Amazon's product name: Kelsyus Spring Float Hammock Pool Lounge Chair, Light Blue

currently $28.31 USD

Floats are not allowed in the pool on Coco Cay, though we saw two babies in fairly large floats with sun shades in the pool when we were there in May.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pudy68 said:

currently $28.31 USD

People were using them in the ocean water at chill island beach

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pudy68 said:

currently $28.31 USD

I meant for calm ocean 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pudy68 said:

Does anyone know if they enforce snorkeling vests if we aren't renting equipment from them?

No, in fact you have to go get one yourself if you want one (free to use). No one will make you wear one. That said, according to my wife (who has run marathons and used to teach swimming and is in pretty good shape), it's a fairly far swim if you want to get all the way out to the shipwreck and she recommends them if you plan to hang out for a bit out there. Her other comment was that they help you float above the nurse sharks in the event you encounter one, lol. (Yes, there are actually some small sharks. She's seen a nurse shark by the shipwreck and a lemon shark by the OTW cabanas.)

I passed along her info b/c she's the snorkeler. I grab a drink and sit under an umbrella while she does her thing.

• Like 4

We have taken inflatable pool noodles.    They work great too!

There is also an area called Harbor Beach that has a lagoon.    Great area to float around and relax after snorkeling at Chill Island.     

Here is a map you will find helpful.   https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/perfect-day-at-cococay-wayfinding-map.pdf

If you like funnel cake then you want to make sure to visit one of the snack shacks on the island. 

Enjoy!! 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 4:54 PM, OCSC Mike said:

No, in fact you have to go get one yourself if you want one (free to use). No one will make you wear one. That said, according to my wife (who has run marathons and used to teach swimming and is in pretty good shape), it's a fairly far swim if you want to get all the way out to the shipwreck and she recommends them if you plan to hang out for a bit out there. Her other comment was that they help you float above the nurse sharks in the event you encounter one, lol. (Yes, there are actually some small sharks. She's seen a nurse shark by the shipwreck and a lemon shark by the OTW cabanas.)

I passed along her info b/c she's the snorkeler. I grab a drink and sit under an umbrella while she does her thing.

Wait...sharks?  *unpacks snorkeling stuff*

• Haha 2