Is 2 hrs 45 minutes enough time to go through passport control at LAX

Myfma

Hi everyone, Silverseas cruises are finalising our included airfares. We will be arriving from Australia to LAX at 1830 and need to make a connection at 2115 for an Alaska Airlines flight to Seattle with the third flight from Seattle to Anchorage. I’m not yet sure if it will be ticketed all the way through, but if it isn’t,  what responsibility does Silverseas have if we miss the connection due to flight delays. 2 hrs 45 mi utes seems tight to clear passport control, get our luggage and make our way to the next terminal. It’s not until May 2024 and I realise flights may be subject to change. 

The recommended time in LAX is 2.5 to 3 hours - you must ensure that all three flights are on the same PRN (ticket) - otherwise it can become a problem if there is a delay - it is the responsibility of the airline issuing the ticket to get you to your final destination in case of delays.
Hope you plan to arrive well in advance of your cruise - delays or lost luggage before a cruise can be stressful.

The good news is that LAX has connecting flights from international pretty well handled.

You will arrive at TBIT, then go to USA immigration.  There will be a dedicated line for non-citizens - this is where you will have the biggest delay.   After immigration, you will go down one level to the baggage area.  Here, you will find free carts (unlike SFO where they will charge you $6 each).  Gather your luggage (which due to your prior queue should already be there) and head for the exit. No stopping unless an agent decides to pull you over.  Assuming your bag is tagged to ANC, merely go to the area labeled for connection bag drop, once you leave the customs area.  You'll hand over your tagged bags and head to T6 for Alaska Airlines.

For this, you can either walk outside, or take the inter-terminal bus.  I'd just walk, as the bus tends to run about every 10-15 minutes.  Especially since you aren't moving checked baggage.  You can do this on either level.  At T6, you will not need to check in, since you already have your onward boarding passes.  Just go through TSA security and head to your gate.

Details on LAX can be found here:

https://www.flylax.com/

In another thread the OP indicates that the planned (Alaska Airlines) flight to Seattle arrives at 23:35 and the onward flight to Anchorage departs at 07:00.  The LAX-SEA flight has an on-time departure record (this year) of 85%, so any delays in clearing the border formalities at LAX might well mean an overall delay.  To be honest, rather than a ridiculously short connection through a deserted Seatac airport, with all the hotels pricey and their shuttles scaling back at midnight, IMO a delay at LAX would be preferable.  

If I were the OP (as I suggested on the other thread) I'd get on the horn to Silverseas or my TA and come up with a more humane plan, especially given that Silverseas isn't exactly the Ryanair of cruise lines.  

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 1

Thanks for that link Flyer Talker.  We will definitely try to use it in November when we fly back home from Australia.  I know I was late to the game, but just found out about the free Mobile Passport Control app when we came through JFK a few weeks ago.  Will have that one ready too.

• Thanks 1

LAX immigration has gotten way better. There are a ton of kiosks and that speeds everyone up instead of a face to face with an agent for every single person.

You'll be arriving in TBIT and T6 is where alaska leaves which is 2 terminals down, a short walk (TBIT is between terminal 3 and 4). 

You could even re-clear security at TBIT if the line looks short, but the walk to t6 from tbit is not that pleasant. easier outside. 

46 minutes ago, smarterman64 said:

LAX immigration has gotten way better. There are a ton of kiosks and that speeds everyone up instead of a face to face with an agent for every single person.

I don't believe that non-citizens can use kiosks.  OP is from Australia.

47 minutes ago, smarterman64 said:

You'll be arriving in TBIT and T6 is where alaska leaves which is 2 terminals down, a short walk (TBIT is between terminal 3 and 4).

Three terminals.  You go to 4, then 5, then to 6.

47 minutes ago, smarterman64 said:

You could even re-clear security at TBIT if the line looks short, but the walk to t6 from tbit is not that pleasant. easier outside. 

The good news is that you sometimes have golf carts running in the tunnel between 4 and 5.  Also, it's air conditioned, though that might not be as critical in the early evening in May.