Can anyone tell me what cruise and travel director does

antsp

15 minutes ago, antsp said:

I was reading up on HAL and trying to figure out what cruise staff do, can anyone explain the roll of a Cruise and Travel Director, is this different to Cruise assistants. 

I hate to say it but the role seems to be behind the scenes.  I found them practically invisible on N Statendam and Zaandam.  We are more accustomed to the Cruise Directors on Celebrity where they seem to be more visible.. (in our experience)

On our 39 day Noordam cruise the Cruise Director was everywhere. Very busy on sea days and on port day evenings. Introducing evening shows, doing the Coffee Chat with various officers and guest entertainers, doing port talks. She would come early to the evening shows and wander around the Show Lounge talking to guests, even to those, like us, whom she had no involvement with.  We had had her before and noted that she was more present on this cruise. We thought she was definitely earning her keep and I kept wondering when she had time to change her clothes and eat!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

On our 39 day Noordam cruise the Cruise Director was everywhere. Very busy on sea days and on port day evenings. Introducing evening shows, doing the Coffee Chat with various officers and guest entertainers, doing port talks. She would come early to the evening shows and wander around the Show Lounge talking to guests, even to those, like us, whom she had no involvement with.  We had had her before and noted that she was more present on this cruise. We thought she was definitely earning her keep and I kept wondering when she had time to change her clothes and eat!

I think you might have had the same cruise director we had on our recent Hawaiian cruise.  I am not sure of her name, ( maybe Christine?) but she was excellent and very visible.  

I am really surprised at this thread, and not sure I get it.  How can you go on a Holland America cruise and not know who the Cruise Director is?  First of all, you hear them at least twice a day throughout the ship for announcements over the PA system.  They almost always introduce the shows in the evening in the theater.  They do the EXC talks and they host various talks with the captain and members of the crew so we can learn about them.  We see them at various parties, bars, and other gatherings around the ship.  About the only way you can go on a HAL cruise and not know who the Cruise Director is if you never leave your cabin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know the job description BUT we had Glenn-Michael as our cruise director on the Volendam at the beginning of the month and I would truly actively seek out his cruises in the future. His EXC talks were incredible!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I am really surprised at this thread, and not sure I get it.  How can you go on a Holland America cruise and not know who the Cruise Director is?  First of all, you hear them at least twice a day throughout the ship for announcements over the PA system.  They almost always introduce the shows in the evening in the theater.  They do the EXC talks and they host various talks with the captain and members of the crew so we can learn about them.  We see them at various parties, bars, and other gatherings around the ship.  About the only way you can go on a HAL cruise and not know who the Cruise Director is if you never leave your cabin.

I agree! The Hal Cruise Directors stay at the level they should be based on the line they are working for. They are mostly low key and not the in your face, know my name, sometimes self absorbed CD's you tend to find on the main lines. Some of those CD's remind me of the type of DJ's at parties that take over by playing mostly music that they like and then get very active with the crowd on the dance floor like they are part of the show while always looking for your attention.🥳

I agree with those who say the cruise director is easy to spot, always making announcements, introducing shows, hosting the morning talks...  Sometimes I wish they were less visible.  We had A CD on one cruise that was quite solemn.  Maybe she was having a bad week, never seemed excited or happy about anything.

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

Or if you have a Cruise Director who doesn't do all of those things.  On my two HAL cruises last year the Cruise Directors couldn't have been more different in terms of personality, involvement, and visibility.  So before you dismiss other posters' points of view, maybe pause to think not everyone has had the exact same experiences you have had.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Torquer said:

How can you go on a Holland America cruise and not know who the Cruise Director is?  First of all, you hear them at least twice a day throughout the ship for announcements over the PA system.  They almost always introduce the shows in the evening in the theater.  They do the EXC talks and they host various talks with the captain and members of the crew so we can learn about them.  We see them at various parties, bars, and other gatherings around the ship.  About the only way you can go on a HAL cruise and not know who the Cruise Director is if you never leave your cabin.

I can't remember the last time I knew who the CD was, and I'm out of my stateroom frequently.  It's just not a need to know.   

Times have changed. There's no longer a greeting line at the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party.  Dining room tables are no longer hosted by ship's officers. There's no final night dinner parade in the dining room either, announced by the CD. Are the  CD and officers named in the embarkation day Welcome Aboard schedule of events distributed in our rooms?  I don't think so. At least not on 7 or 10 day cruises. 

Edited by Boatdrill

11 hours ago, Torquer said:

Ah, but on some ships it's like the Wizard of Oz.  You hear the voice but who is that never before seen person?

• Like 3

On my recent Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, our Cruise and Travel Director, Kimberly Wells, was VERY visible. And very engaging.

She started the sail away party. She made announcement over the PA twice day. She introduced the entertainment performances. She gave the EXC talks. She hosted coffee talks and also cocktail talks almost every day. She was at the bottom of the gangway in Skagway asking if everyone had their passports or other documents for their excursions. She narrated the touring into College Fjord. She announced the disembarkation groups.

It's surprising to hear that others had different experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Are the  CD and officers named in the embarkation day Welcome Aboard schedule of events distributed in our rooms?  I don't think so. At least not on 7 or 10 day cruises. 

The top ship officers are shown, along with short bios, on the TV on every HAL cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

I can't remember the last time I knew who the CD was, and I'm out of my stateroom frequently.  It's just not a need to know.   

Times have changed. There's no longer a greeting line at the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party.  Dining room tables are no longer hosted by ship's officers. There's no final night dinner parade in the dining room either, announced by the CD. Are the  CD and officers named in the embarkation day Welcome Aboard schedule of events distributed in our rooms?  I don't think so. At least not on 7 or 10 day cruises. 

You are right about the short cruises: basics only.  Our 39 day cruise (two B-Bs) did have the final night MDR parades, Non of the other items you mention, though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, auntmeg said:

On my recent Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, our Cruise and Travel Director, Kimberly Wells, was VERY visible. And very engaging.

She started the sail away party. She made announcement over the PA twice day. She introduced the entertainment performances. She gave the EXC talks. She hosted coffee talks and also cocktail talks almost every day. She was at the bottom of the gangway in Skagway asking if everyone had their passports or other documents for their excursions. She narrated the touring into College Fjord. She announced the disembarkation groups.

It's surprising to hear that others had different experiences.

Kimberly has amazing energy.  We really enjoyed being onboard with her.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, loveandpeas said:

I don't know the job description BUT we had Glenn-Michael as our cruise director on the Volendam at the beginning of the month and I would truly actively seek out his cruises in the future. His EXC talks were incredible!

Glenn-Michael used to be a Travel Guide (RIP) before the merging of the CD/Travel Director position. His talks were excellent, very informative and entertaining as well. Not surprised his EXC talks are so good, he's had a lot of practice and knows his stuff.

Unfortunately, combining the Cruise and Travel Director role asks a lot of those who fill it: some are good at the people-facing piece but not the port knowledge or vice versa. It seems HAL is leaning more into the public speaking part of the role, as most of the newer folks in the role seem to have a lot of presentation experience in their backgrounds as journalists etc. 

• Thanks 3

We have had a few "surfer dudes" who had dance experience. Not impressed, and not all that crazy about the highly sexualized female CDs either.  

We liked Tom Faulkner, Bruce Scudder and the the CD on this year's World cruise:  they were older, more experienced, understood the HAL vibe, especially on longer cruises.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Banditswife said:

I agree with those who say the cruise director is easy to spot, always making announcements, introducing shows, hosting the morning talks...  Sometimes I wish they were less visible.  We had A CD on one cruise that was quite solemn.  Maybe she was having a bad week, never seemed excited or happy about anything.

Things usually look easier when someone else is doing it.

I agree with you, the cruise directors do a great job for the most part, I am sure their duties involve much more than what we as paying passengers witness.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 12:48 PM, C 2 C said:

I hate to say it but the role seems to be behind the scenes.  I found them practically invisible on N Statendam and Zaandam.  We are more accustomed to the Cruise Directors on Celebrity where they seem to be more visible.. (in our experience)

Could you be thinking of the Entertainment Director?  This is the person managing all of the entertainment and information presentations (including those of the Cruise & Travel Director).  This role is mostly admin & managerial, but some will interact more with the passengers.

On our Nieuw Statendam cruise that just ended, Clare was unbelievable as the Cruise & Travel Director, and Amanda (who explained how this all works at one of Clare's Coffee Chats) was out and about almost every evening.

On 7/23/2023 at 5:06 AM, Cruise Suzy said:

The top ship officers are shown, along with short bios, on the TV on every HAL cruise.

Thanks. I was right then, they aren't listed in the Welcome Aboard daily program.