RCI - Can Foldable Wheelchair be Checked with Luggage?

Tall22

I will be taking my foldable wheelchair on a RCI cruise out of Baltimore. I need it for long walks but will be able to manage the walk to board and get around the ship. I would prefer to not have to deal with it in the crowds packing the main areas while we wait to get access to our staterooms. Does anyone know if the wheelchair can be checked and delivered to my stateroom along with my luggage? Thanks!

Just a thought,  but how about taking your wheelchair when you check in and having one of Royal wheelchair pushers push you to a public area (or your room if it's ready).   

If you're worried about the crowds and your room isn't ready, you can always fold it up so it won't take up as much room, and push it on the elevator and to your room when it's ready.   

I would not want to lose sight of my mobility device and the possibility of it getting lost or damaged.  

But to answer your question,  I  have never seen anyone leave their wheelchair with the porters to be delivered to their room.   

And getting through check-in and inside the ship is sometimes a long walk..  

Thanks for your response.🙂

I know I can manage the walk as I experienced it last year. We sailed out of Baltimore last November and I took my wheelchair with me at boarding. It was a major pain. Trouble getting through the crowds, finding a place to park it out of other people's way, managing it and my small carry-on. Just looking for an easier way. 

14 hours ago, Tall22 said:

Thanks for your response.🙂

I know I can manage the walk as I experienced it last year. We sailed out of Baltimore last November and I took my wheelchair with me at boarding. It was a major pain. Trouble getting through the crowds, finding a place to park it out of other people's way, managing it and my small carry-on. Just looking for an easier way. 

Regarding the carry-on, may I suggest using a backpack as your carry-on. That way you’ll have both hands free to better handle the wheelchair. I switched to backpack from rolling carry-on when I needed to push my husband in a transporter chair. He’s long since passed away, but I still always use a backpack as my carry-on when traveling.

As others mention, the way they stack the luggage for onloading to the ship looks like it could damage a chair.

• Thanks 1