What do you do at Harvest Caye?

Sigyn

The Joy goes to Harvest Caye for our March cruise. What is Harvest Caye like? I haven't been to NCL's other private island - the Prima didn't make it there on our December cruise due to rough waters. We saw it, we got near, but then we sailed away. So sad. What can we expect at Harvest Caye? It will be myself and my husband and our son, who will be 16, and any friends he has from the ship. 

Edited by Sigyn

33 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

The Joy goes to Harvest Caye for our March cruise. What is Harvest Caye like? I haven't been to NCL's other private island - the Prima didn't make it there on our December cruise due to rough waters. We saw it, we got near, but then we sailed away. So sad. What can we expect at Harvest Caye? It will be myself and my husband and our son, who will be 16, and any friends he has from the ship. 

Harvest Caye is a private island beach day. The 16 year old will probably want to do the zip line, but other than that, rest and relax. The more adventurous may do parasailing or wave runners, but those cost a lot of money (at least to us). 

There are some pictures of Harvest Caye starting at Post #90 on the link below. We normally park on the beach right by the pool so that we can go from the Ocean to the Pool to our loungers and repeat (also near drink carts).

1 hour ago, Sigyn said:

Do the Parasailing!  It is super fun.  You go up in tandems.  There were 6 pairs when we went and the ages ranged from 12 to 85yo!  I'm sure the teens would like that. 

Also, they have jet skis there.  You go on a "Follow the leader" tour.  They let you go as fast as the jet ski governors are set (maybe up to 25-30mph if I recall. You can do a single or a double.  

We had a blast. Treated ourselves to a cabana (cut rate as no one was buying), and enjoyed essentially a private beach right buy one of the restaurants. The water features are lovely, and the zip line looked fun - but required closed toed shoes and we only brought sandals. 

Perhaps we are geeky, but we enjoyed the nature reserve, butterfly farm and animal rehab most of all. All of the tips go directly towards rehabilitation, care and hopefully release of injured animals. Plus, great education on local plants, insects and animal residents. 

I am attaching some photos below including a recent map of the island. Hope that's helpful!

Warmest, Amy

Harvest Caye Map.jpg

Butterfly.jpg

Harvest Caye Cabana.jpg

Harvest Caye Museum.jpg

Harvest Caye Wildlife.jpg

• Like 1

Just be aware that food "on" the island is purchased. You may choose to return to the ship for meal/snack/drinks and return to the island or not.

Many people complain about the lengthy walk, but if you are used to walking a healthy distance daily, it's not as bad as some make it seem.  Yes, it can be quite hot (or not) depending on the timing of your cruise.

• Like 1

Harvest Cay is very Hot, We were there in April and we were the last ship of the season due to the heat. The Pool is huge and amazing has a swim up bar as well ($$$). They have Kayak rentals as well as solar powered 2 person boats which were fun and not to expensive. The beach is great! The walk is pretty good from gangway to the pool area, but they also have a shuttle if you dont mind waiting for it. 

• Like 2

One other thing which has been implied, but bears repeating - Harvest Caye has a pier, so you don't need to use tenders to get back and forth from the ship, as at GSC. It is a bit of a walk, but you can come and go between the island and the ship as you please. We like that!

• Like 2

Remember your beverage package does not work on the island, and I found drinks and food quite expensive.  Yes, you will get yourself ur steps in but walking the pier, but you get an up loose look at the flora and fauna.  There are also shuttles that will take you if you choose not to walk, and there are several that will accommodate wheel chairs.

we like the butterfly house and grabbing a lounger in the shade and watching the zip liners fly above our heads.  As you walk along the beach you will usually find starfish, which always delights me.  If you have a balcony facing the zip line you may be able to watch the zip liners from the comfort of your balcony and parasailers can be seen on either side.  We have been here multiple times and usually, but not always, back up at the dock which puts. The zip lines, etc on the port side.   So,e times we don’t get off and enjoy the ship, other times we stroll around a bit to get some exercise.m 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

One other thing which has been implied, but bears repeating - Harvest Caye has a pier, so you don't need to use tenders to get back and forth from the ship, as at GSC. It is a bit of a walk, but you can come and go between the island and the ship as you please. We like that!

Yes, we enjoy the covered walk on the pier.  Easy to return to the ship whenever you want.  

Also, we feel Harvest Caye is much easier to walk around than GSC.  Nice sidewalks and lots to see.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

No one has mentioned that you can also take the ferry over to Placencia if you'd like to experience the "real Belize" rather than NCLs private island... 

I'm very interested in this but there is little info on how to do this. We are sailing on Oceania to Havest Caye next year and want to do this. Where is the ferry? How can we get tickets? Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

I'm very interested in this but there is little info on how to do this. We are sailing on Oceania to Havest Caye next year and want to do this. Where is the ferry? How can we get tickets? Thanks in advance!

I imagine that Oceania will sell you the tender tickets necessary to get to Palencia.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:39 AM, wolft927 said:

Harvest Cay is very Hot, We were there in April and we were the last ship of the season due to the heat. The Pool is huge and amazing has a swim up bar as well ($$$). They have Kayak rentals as well as solar powered 2 person boats which were fun and not to expensive. The beach is great! The walk is pretty good from gangway to the pool area, but they also have a shuttle if you dont mind waiting for it. 

The temperature at Harvest Caye doesn't really have anything to do with NCL not stopping there.  They just focus on the European and Alaska market in the Summer months and only leave a few ships in the Caribbean.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Last time I was there you could purchase tickets at the small marina on Harvest Caye... The ride over to Placencia takes about 15 minutes, and your ticket also includes your return ride back to HC... Placencia is pretty easy to navigate, as there's a "sidewalk" closer to the beach, and then one street that runs in the same direction...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Last time I was there you could purchase tickets at the small marina on Harvest Caye... The ride over to Placencia takes about 15 minutes, and your ticket also includes your return ride back to HC... Placencia is pretty easy to navigate, as there's a "sidewalk" closer to the beach, and then one street that runs in the same direction...

My preferred activity.  I truly enjoyed Placensia.  Not a "touristy" stopover, but authentic food and drink plus places just to while away a few hours without a care in the world.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

I feel like I read something about an area for Haven or suite guests on Harvest Caye. is that correct? 

No, not specifically!  Many book a Villa ($$$ Private area) or a cabana ($$ near pool area), through Shore Excursions desk..

Edited by ggTexasGal
added info
  • Like 2