Silver Spirit Iceland Departure Port

gcornell

Post what your cruise is and I’m sure cruise mapper or what’s in port will provide that info.

Likely to be Skarfabakki Cruise Pier, which we sail from with Viking in 2 weeks.

I’ve not sailed from Reykjavik with SS and there is a second alternative I’ve noted that Silver Wind uses.

Usually the larger (and sometimes the smaller) ships are at the far edge of town in Skarfabakki. Last time we embarked at the pier right in Old Town (called Miðbakki) on Silver Cloud. But when we came back a week later another ship had laid claim to that pier so it was off to Skarfabakki for us!

This website https://www.faxafloahafnir.is/cruiseships/ will show you where your ship is scheduled to dock. 

Edited by jpalbny

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Post what your cruise is and I’m sure cruise mapper or what’s in port will provide that info.

Likely to be Skarfabakki Cruise Pier, which we sail from with Viking in 2 weeks.

I’ve not sailed from Reykjavik with SS and there is a second alternative I’ve noted that Silver Wind uses.

Thank you. Silver Spirit, July 4-14, 2024,   Thanks for the tip

On 7/24/2023 at 4:52 AM, jpalbny said:

Usually the larger (and sometimes the smaller) ships are at the far edge of town in Skarfabakki. Last time we embarked at the pier right in Old Town (called Miðbakki) on Silver Cloud. But when we came back a week later another ship had laid claim to that pier so it was off to Skarfabakki for us!

This website https://www.faxafloahafnir.is/cruiseships/ will show you where your ship is scheduled to dock. 

Same cruise.  What JP said.  But nothing is very far In Reykjavik and taxis are plentiful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

True. We have walked from Skarfabakki to the downtown area. It's mostly pretty and follows the coastline. 

With some interesting statues along the way, plus a great view of the Harpa.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, jpalbny said:

I just looked at your link for my sailing and noticed it returns to Korngarðar, though it’s right next to Skarfabakki so odd it has a different name.

We are staying close to the Harpa, so too far to walk (with cases). It’s been 9 years since my only other visit and had a car then, so didn’t use any buses or taxis. I saw that you can’t use a CC to pay on a bus (cash and right amount only), but do you know if CC payments are accepted in taxis? I’ve a feeling it’s the same.

Only one week to go now before we fly. Due to get to the hotel by midday and we’ve booked an afternoon / evening trip to trek to the hill top to overlook the active volcano which seems to be in full flow for 2 weeks and no signs of stopping. Hoping to capture some drone footage and get back safely without melting. (Me and the drone! lol) Been to Sicily numerous times hoping to see Etna erupt, but a puff of smoke is the best I managed. I shall also get a port side window seat on the flight which similarly should if not cloudy, give good aerial views of it from the plane.

OP, not sure when July 2024 schedules are published, but at least you have a couple of options to look up the info. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks All. Booked the Alda Hotel.  Definitely pays to check the various sites.  Sometimes booking direct is best. Other times using a certain online booking site and this time using a different popular one saved me 20% and much more favorable terms. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, les37b said:

We are staying close to the Harpa, so too far to walk (with cases). It’s been 9 years since my only other visit and had a car then, so didn’t use any buses or taxis. I saw that you can’t use a CC to pay on a bus (cash and right amount only), but do you know if CC payments are accepted in taxis? I’ve a feeling it’s the same.

Sorry Les, it's been even longer than that since I've used a bus in Reykjavik. In fact that's the reason that we walked the coastal path from Skarfabakki - to get to the main bus depot to catch a bus to get to our rental car!

And we have never used a taxi in Iceland so I don't know firsthand whether they take CCs or not, but a quick Google search suggests that they do. Iceland is pretty CC friendly so I'd be surprised if they don't.

• Thanks 1

We just got back from a cruise beginning in Reykjavik.  We didn't try a bus, but otherwise, credit cards were in use everywhere, including taxis.  No worries.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:45 PM, les37b said:

CC should not be a problem.  BUT, getting a taxi might be.  Book in advance. We were told by our driver last year (who happened to be the owner of the company) that there is a 30% increase in cruise ship numbers this year, and not enough taxis and drivers to handle the biz. Last year, after an hour plus wait and no taxi in sight our friends hauled their luggage from ship to hotel. We had a 20 minute wait for a taxi out to the Blue Lagoon from our Reykjavik hotel.  Perhaps it's better this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

CC should not be a problem.  BUT, getting a taxi might be.  Book in advance. We were told by our driver last year (who happened to be the owner of the company) that there is a 30% increase in cruise ship numbers this year, and not enough taxis and drivers to handle the biz. Last year, after an hour plus wait and no taxi in sight our friends hauled their luggage from ship to hotel. We had a 20 minute wait for a taxi out to the Blue Lagoon from our Reykjavik hotel.  Perhaps it's better this year.

Thanks, that wasn’t something we had factored for. The volcano tour I had originally booked was on embarkation day but meant we wouldn’t arrive at the ship until about 7 in the evening, which didn’t seem a good idea. The one we have now, is the previous day not long after we arrive. Obviously we will need to find our way there. Had we stuck with the first booking, they would have dropped us off at the terminal. Hopefully the hotel can assist.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:41 PM, Critically Cruising said:

Just to keep you on the right side of the law:

https://www.icetra.is/aviation/drones/

Always advisable to check country restrictions, particularly with tourist areas you are likely to want to use at. Something I always do and governs if I bother to bring my drone with me. I left behind for Alaska and Japan and also ABC Islands. Despite being allowed to fly in Japan, there were too many hoops. Caribbean was mostly too close to the airport, so decided it wasn't worth bringing. Iceland is on the other end of the scale and their rules relatively relaxed outside of the airport areas. Luckily, my drone is also sub 250gms removing most restrictions, though the obvious still need to be complied with. (ie airports and prohibition notices- which were very evident in Japan and verified it was a good choice not to bring.) 

At the volcano site, there aren't really any restrictions outside of height, near people, staying clear of the helicopters should there be any and line of sight. (The later in this location does seem to be ignore from how it looks.) Flying over hot rocks and lava is of course entirely at the pilots risk and I have witnessed a "volcano burial", which was a deliberate act after it was damaged by heat in the previous flight. Quite poignant in a strange way hearing the pilot say his farewells.

If all goes well I will post the results.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Critically Cruising said:

Want to say that I was in no way implying that you have disdain for rules.  Just wanted to give you a reference.  And you seem to be quite responsible in your flying.  Well done.

That's quite ok. The info you posted is a good reminder to all. With the exception of my maiden flight back in 2015, which I thought was within the rules and in open parkland. Unfortunately it was a Royal Park and any flying objects are just banned! Ooops! It was a long time ago and the police even watched me fly, so way before it became common. Most of my flights tend to be over water. I rarely go over buildings, even though its completely legal. Just not worth the hassle. Sea and wide rivers are just dandy - and any error is a costly one. I try not to make any. This will be my first Volcano drone adventure, though I have taken up Etna with me, but with 35-40mph winds, not a chance of flying.

• Like 2