What would you like to see next from MSC

stuart2468

3 hours ago, stuart2468 said:

But, the market is clearly heading in an upward trend regarding prices. I guess the need to be so cheap has gone. Will be interesting to see if this continues as the publics purse strings become tigher into next year. 

I think that an upward trend regarding prices is a good thing if that also mean higher quality.

Low prices and low quality doesn't interest me at all.

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that an upward trend regarding prices is a good thing if that also mean higher quality.

Call me a cynic, but in my view, recent price increases have *zero* relationship to "higher quality".  They're simply charging more for exactly what you got before, and in some instances, charging more and getting less in return due to cutbacks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Booked the Euribia in early July for a 7 night February European in a YC Deluxe Suite. Priced 3K LESS than a 7 night Caribbean from Florida in both Seashore class and Meraviglia class ships. 

Out of curiosity, just looked today - the price is still lower, but only about 1.5K. Still a much better deal - and it is an apples to (nearly apples) comparison as using the same TA with his same booking discounts / perks but obviously Euribia is a newer ship. 

Granted, the YC is a very different experience than non-YC, but I think the overall value for the money is quite good. It's not quite at Haven prices yet which is our benchmark of "damn...that's pricey". Definitely more expensive than 2021. Reasonably, as many on CC have pointed out previously when you have a huge ship that has to be at / above capacity to make a profit, you can only add so many people to a sailings therefore the prices increase. 

Warmest, Amy

3 hours ago, amygutman said:

Booked the Euribia in early July for a 7 night February European in a YC Deluxe Suite. Priced 3K LESS than a 7 night Caribbean from Florida in both Seashore class and Meraviglia class ships. 

Out of curiosity, just looked today - the price is still lower, but only about 1.5K. Still a much better deal - and it is an apples to (nearly apples) comparison as using the same TA with his same booking discounts / perks but obviously Euribia is a newer ship. 

Granted, the YC is a very different experience than non-YC, but I think the overall value for the money is quite good. It's not quite at Haven prices yet which is our benchmark of "damn...that's pricey". Definitely more expensive than 2021. Reasonably, as many on CC have pointed out previously when you have a huge ship that has to be at / above capacity to make a profit, you can only add so many people to a sailings therefore the prices increase. 

Warmest, Amy

Price difference may reflect time of year…Northern Europe isn’t where I would choose to get away to in February.  EM

• Like 1

1.Respect Loyal customers and stop giving Dimond level for people who never cruised with MSC

2.Stop making mega ships and become RCL

3.Rase the price so all those people who suffer on MSC but keep cruising for cheap price , can finally cruise with the lines they love.

4.Stay Italian cruise line ,don't change Opera for Comedy

5.New ports

19 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

1.Respect Loyal customers and stop giving Dimond level for people who never cruised with MSC - EITHER WAY IS FINE WITH ME

2.Stop making mega ships and become RCL- NOOOOOO

3.Rase the price so all those people who suffer on MSC but keep cruising for cheap price , can finally cruise with the lines they love. PRICING IS ALREADY CREEPING UP CLOSE TO MAINSTREAM LINES

4.Stay Italian cruise line ,don't change Opera for Comedy YUCK!

5.New ports- AGREED

14 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Call me a cynic, but in my view, recent price increases have *zero* relationship to "higher quality".  They're simply charging more for exactly what you got before, and in some instances, charging more and getting less in return due to cutbacks.

Maybe the price increase means that there will be less cutbacks.

We cruised last week for the first time after the pandemic and I was surprised about the high quality, I had expected cutbacks but didn't saw any.

We ate lunch one day at the YC Sundeck bar and grill and there were around 10 staff and maybe 6 passengers + a few more around the sundeck. No cutback there.

4 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

1.Respect Loyal customers and stop giving Dimond level for people who never cruised with MSC

2.Stop making mega ships and become RCL

3.Rase the price so all those people who suffer on MSC but keep cruising for cheap price , can finally cruise with the lines they love.

4.Stay Italian cruise line ,don't change Opera for Comedy

5.New ports

I agree with you.

The only thing is number 2. I want them to build big ships but the big ships shall do longer cruises, not short one week cruises! One week on a monster like MSC World Europa is too little.

I did notice price increases, but not as sharp as some people are mentioning. Maybe that is because I only look for European cruises (both northern and Mediterranean)?  But I guess as long as people are willing to pay, they can ask whatever they like. A cruise line has no reason to leave cabins empty, so I believe that if people will not pay, prices will go down again.

I hope that MSC will start offering more variation in ports and itineraries in the Mediterranean. Most cruises call at at least 3 ports out of Barcelona, Marseilles, Genua and Civitavecchia. Sooner (Genua, Civitavecchia) or later (Barcelona) this really gets old. I'd like to see more cruises calling at various ports on Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Balearic Islands, or at Alicante, Valencia, San Remo, Cannes, Saint Tropez, Sète, etc.

Refresh / replacement of the smaller ships in the fleet with something similarly-sized but less dated.  We've got our eyes on some itineraries that currently use Lirica-class ships, but the combination of limited accommodation options on the ships for families, dated interiors, and looks that could charitably be described as car-ferry-like are putting us off.

13 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Price difference may reflect time of year…Northern Europe isn’t where I would choose to get away to in February.  EM

@Essiesmom Agree on time of year and pricing. Europe in Feb is definitely less appealing than the Caribbean. However, kiddo has a break and will be studying WWII in history class. I figure what better way to learn about history than to visit / touch / feel that history. Plus, we will already have our colder weather gear from Alaska (NCL Encore in 68 days 22 hours 30 minutes, not that i'm counting). 

Warmest (which, likely not in Europe in Feb 🥰), Amy

5 hours ago, maehara said:

Refresh / replacement of the smaller ships in the fleet with something similarly-sized but less dated.  We've got our eyes on some itineraries that currently use Lirica-class ships, but the combination of limited accommodation options on the ships for families, dated interiors, and looks that could charitably be described as car-ferry-like are putting us off.

They could just overhaul the older, smaller ships. Celebrity did a complete refurb of their Millenium and Summit ships and they feel brand new!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

They could just overhaul the older, smaller ships. Celebrity did a complete refurb of their Millenium and Summit ships and they feel brand new!

But they didn't overhaul Infinity and I'll be on that ship next month.  I'm hoping it's in decent shape, but it's old.

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

But they didn't overhaul Infinity and I'll be on that ship next month.  I'm hoping it's in decent shape, but it's old.

For sure! Just saying that new ships aren't required if cruise lines fork out the funds to overhaul the older ones. I doubt Celebrity will be in a financial position to "revolutionize" the other Millenium class ships any time soon, unfortunately.

All of us do have our dreams, of course, some would realize, some not so much. That said; let me to just bring my 2 cents, not only from an avid cruiser whose most of my cruises having been with MSC, but from someone with some market analysis skills:

At the moment MSC has the keys of the whole worldwide cruise market on their hands for the next 20-30 years to come, because they're the unique ones economically healthy enough to make whatever else they want because of their deep pockets from the cargo line business on where they're just a tiny fraction of. But they're also very secretive of their actions, and generally very conservative on their approach.

That said, my best bet is that, at mainstream cruising, they'll continue their gradual growth by slowly ship expansion. I believe they'll to make their 2028-2032 order book by end 2024, early 2025, but no more World class or higher ships. The A380 of the seas are done and won't repeat as the real A380's. The post pandemic, ecological sustainability focused market won't permit more of those adventures and ports availability to handle more is quite limited right now. Enjoy the Oasis, Icon and World classes till there is. They won't be eternal, like the A380 won't as well. I believe MSC will then to order at least 7 new builds: 4 from Saint Nazaire, Fantasia to Meraviglia class size new prototype, 3 from Fincantieri, Seaside class size. The first 4 will arguably to replace the whole Lirica Class which cruises will most likely to be fed by the Musica class. The 3 Fincantieri will be for growing.

I bet also they'll to make a new trademark for the Premium segment. Consolidated that be Explora Journeys in the next 2-3 years, it is time to order their new Italian X/Princess like adventure. If the market was like it was before the pandemic, they'd await some more 5 years or such... But their market conditions to reach shipyards is now unique in the world, and they'll to use it as much as they can, once other than maybe Disney, China or Saudi Arabia, nobody of the biggies will make a strong order book at that time frame. Tons of slots for MSC to use at their pleasure!... The 2028-2032 order book will also pave the way for at least 4 to 6 mid priced cruise ships on the 2k-3k guests segment, perhaps with the same platform used for the 4 mainstream France ships, but shorter in size.

Also my bet on the Luxury segment would be for an additional order of some 2-4 Explora Journeys ships similar to the current 4 ones, and additionally some at least 2 very ecologically focused ships running on liquid Hydrogen to go to the most sensitive places, perhaps expedition ships sized.

As service goes, I don't expect too much difference. Maybe; they'll realize they need a partnership with a reliable hospitality provider to fill the US sub-fleet... But as they want most of in-house business, I'm a bit skeptical on that one. Hope that at least they don't Americanize too much more than they have done right now. Retain their Italian heritage, at least here in Europe would be my best bet. I hope World 3 and world 4 to be slightly different and more distinctive than World Europa and World America had been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

For sure! Just saying that new ships aren't required if cruise lines fork out the funds to overhaul the older ones. I doubt Celebrity will be in a financial position to "revolutionize" the other Millenium class ships any time soon, unfortunately.

That also would have to bear in account the real technical degradation state of a particular ship. The older one couldn't be the most deteriorated one right now. That said; in MSC's terms, the Lírica class will be 30 years old the end of this decade. Little bit too much for an overhaul. Those ships have a very limited number of balcony cabins making them sort of out of standards right now, and I doubt they're modular enough to an overhaul of that magnitude, like the Musica class ones are. That said, my best bet is that they'll all to be rolled out by 2032, if not earlier.

We've just sailed on Lirica and it really didn't feel like an old ship at all. Not as glitzy and sparkly as the new ships but, nothing like an old ferry. Admittedly, we're very low maintenance and don't look for a lot in the way of features and activities being available onboard. 

I'm hoping for a return to itineraries in Asia, proper itineraries not just the 3 or 4 night versions currently available. 

On 7/25/2023 at 4:29 PM, ray98 said:

A more appetizing selection of food in the buffet.  MSC is unlike other lines that have the satellite quick eat spots so it forces people to the buffet.  Have some variety so passengers don't feel todays selections are the exact same thing that were offered yesterday.  Show a little imagination on the dinner buffet and offer a couple of dishes that are being served in the MDR that night like the competition.  

Yes: on the Seaview we were staying a bit forward: a long walk from the dining venues. Surely MSC could put some kind of food in the forward part of the ship.

On 7/29/2023 at 12:44 AM, CruisingFox27 said:

We've just sailed on Lirica and it really didn't feel like an old ship at all. Not as glitzy and sparkly as the new ships but, nothing like an old ferry.

I have the same experience on MSC Opera. It was the second cruise since the restart after the pandemic. She'd gotten many metres of new carpet, in hallways and in the theatre. Stewards were constantly chasing fresh dustbunnies with their hoovers. If however MSC plans on keeping them for a few more years, then a few upgrades wouldn't hurt. I'm thinking about a waterslide (also for the Musica-class please), better maintenance on the waterpark and waterfall, a new bar at the current library-location and/or the shore excursion area (both areas were greatly underused) and if possible on such small vessels a speciality restaurant (they could reduce the size of the deck 5 MRD for that).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sealynx said:

I have the same experience on MSC Opera. It was the second cruise since the restart after the pandemic. She'd gotten many metres of new carpet, in hallways and in the theatre. Stewards were constantly chasing fresh dustbunnies with their hoovers. If however MSC plans on keeping them for a few more years, then a few upgrades wouldn't hurt. I'm thinking about a waterslide (also for the Musica-class please), better maintenance on the waterpark and waterfall, a new bar at the current library-location and/or the shore excursion area (both areas were greatly underused) and if possible on such small vessels a speciality restaurant (they could reduce the size of the deck 5 MRD for that).

Great to hear that it was also your experience. The ships are less than 20 years old so, it would be a surprise if they were to dismissed very soon. It maybe something they're working on, there's certainly a speciality restaurant on Lirica, deck 6 next to the piano bar. An Asian restaurant, which was very good. 

Edited by CruisingFox27