Art classs on Edge ships

Niagarawine

We enjoyed several art classes on a seven night Caribbean Apex sailing earlier this year. The Artist In Residence was (still is?) Michael Mejia and he was amazing!!

The classes were drawing lessons with pencils and it was a highlight of our cruise. 

7 hours ago, Butterfly0822 said:

We enjoyed several art classes on a seven night Caribbean Apex sailing earlier this year. The Artist In Residence was (still is?) Michael Mejia and he was amazing!!

The classes were drawing lessons with pencils and it was a highlight of our cruise. 

We had him.  He is fantastic.   We went to the wine and draw class that was part of the Captain Club perks. 

We drew a sea horse.  It was very informative and entertaining.  He was very good on the step by step instructions on how to do it.

I am not an artist but did a lot of mechanical drawings for installation of equipment in an auto plant. I worked in plant engineering.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_0625.png

IMG_0562.heic

Edited by miched
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Do they have any? I am into watercolour and was thinking of doing some art on board. I am scheduled to be on the Ascent,just curious

There was an amazing artist on our 7 day cruise on Beyond.  He was very patient and broke down tasks into language I was able to understand.  There were general classes and those specifically designed for Elite and above.  The activity with the Elite included wine tasting.  Highly recommended.  

43 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

Wow that sounds wonderful. I am not Elite but maybe be I can find some art classes on board. I guess I will bring my trusty watercolour pad along,see what happens,thanks so much

You don’t need it.   Everything is supplied. 

Those events aren’t offered on all of the ships.  It is more of a fun activity instead of an art class.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

42 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

Love that seahorse!

It was done with colored pencils.  The way he showed j]how to do it was like connecting the dots.  He said use your imagination and chose different color pencils that were supplied to make it colorful.  No right or wrong.  Just a lot of fun and the wine made it more fun not that we needed it as we had the premium pack.  It is a nice perk and hope to see more .  The other nice perk was the mixology and music.  A BT showed  how to make and sample 4 full size drinks while listening to some music.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸

Husband and I drew owls with the wine and draw class.  We drank more wine than we should have.  They had set up with several wines for each participant and only a few showed up.  Michael encouraged us not to let the wine go to waste, and we didn't 😁.  My husband couldn't believe I got him into this, but we had fun!  We gave our owls to our 4 year old Granddaughter.  She couldn't believe Papa and Grammy drew them!🥰

• Like 1

13 hours ago, miched said:

We had him.  He is fantastic.   We went to the wine and draw class that was part of the Captain Club perks. 

We drew a sea horse.  It was very informative and entertaining.  He was very good on the step by step instructions on how to do it.

I am not an artist but did a lot of mechanical drawings for installation of equipment in an auto plant. I worked in plant engineering.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_0625.png

IMG_0562.heic 1.03 MB · 0 downloads

OH, I wish that had been an option for us - we drew a hand on our cruise, YES, a HAND.  Ugh.  But this, love it!!!  Good for you and thanks for sharing!  

1 hour ago, lexmiller said:

OH, I wish that had been an option for us - we drew a hand on our cruise, YES, a HAND.  Ugh.  But this, love it!!!  Good for you and thanks for sharing!  

On the Beyond in March there was a drawing activity in the Eden Lounge.  It was open to everyone and listed in the daily.  The artist there was doing a hand holding a wine glass.    Michael was on the Apex and was part of a few nightly shows in the Eden Lounge.  

If nothing else I think it stirs an interest in sketching.    I googled sketching and found a lot of sites and interesting things about it.   It can be a fun thing to do but I have a lot of other interests and don’t really need to get involved in another.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

2 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

I love that dragonfly! I hope they have something like this on Ascent, lots of creative people on this board

Thank you! I love her dragonfly -- she did a really cool octopus another day. Her sketches came out so much better than mine! 🤣 And she was eleven on this trip.

Seriously, Michael's art classes were so fun. I recommend going early to get a seat -- each time people were turned away because there weren't any seats available. 

Also, Michael will do a limited number of pencil portraits of passengers each sailing. He took our picture the first day when we met him and we received our custom drawing the last sea day. It is a really special piece that we framed and have hanging up! 

Happy cruising and sketching, everyone! 

On the Beyond, we had an Elite art class.  They had 3 glasses of wine for each participant and only about 12 showed up. Expected 36.   The wine did not go to waste.  We drew a lions head using regular pencils.  I was shocked how mine came out as I don't consider myself having any skills in that area.  Then we did something with watercolors.  The artist leading the group was excellent and broke down the tasks sequentially.  Definitely worthwhile.

34 minutes ago, Butterfly0822 said:

Thank you! I love her dragonfly -- she did a really cool octopus another day. Her sketches came out so much better than mine! 🤣 And she was eleven on this trip.

Seriously, Michael's art classes were so fun. I recommend going early to get a seat -- each time people were turned away because there weren't any seats available. 

Also, Michael will do a limited number of pencil portraits of passengers each sailing. He took our picture the first day when we met him and we received our custom drawing the last sea day. It is a really special piece that we framed and have hanging up! 

Happy cruising and sketching, everyone! 

dtr is very  talented..hope she keeps on with her art!  

• Like 1

On You tube they have some very talented artists and during lockdown I started doing water colour, deWinton art being one of them. When I travel I bring pieces of finished stuff like bookmarks or cards that I have done and leave them for the staff to show my appreciation.