Nieuw Amsterdam Club Orange in Alaska 2024

maggiev

A few questions I have - which may be silly but ….

Is the Club Orange section of the MDR by the windows & are there tables for 2?
Since there is a separate check in line, would CO pay for itself to expedite the craziness I’m reading about in Vancouver?

Would I book a standard verandah & get upgraded (based on availability) to an aft balcony, premium verandah? I’m not sure how to tell what they mean by the same category. 
I’m trying to decide if the tote bag is worth $350 🤣🤣

Thanks

Maggie

There will probably be table for two available; be sure you go in the MDR and tell the manager that is what you want after you board, before the first dinner. We had a window table on Noordam, but there were four of us.

The biggest part of the boarding mess in Vancouver comes before any ship-related boarding process: it is security and customs. No way anyone can avoid that. But after that, you should (should) get priority.

You're right about the category issue: there are several levels of "V" or verandah categories. If you book the least expensive and pay for club orange, you can get upgraded to any V cabin that is available. You should be able to ask what is available and choose.

There is another long thread here (on the HAL board) about whether Club Orange is worth it. The great majority think it is. But on the ships with a separate dining room, it's even more significant.

I found my tote bag after a long search. It's behind my chair.

1 hour ago, maggiev said:

Is the Club Orange section of the MDR by the windows & are there tables for 2?

There was no separate Club Orange Section in the dining room on Nieuw Amsterdam when I was last on in October 2022.  There is a separate line to enter the MDR and the CO menu will have one extra entree option.  You can ask the Maitre d' to seat you at a two top by the window.

~Nancy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maggiev said:

A few questions I have - which may be silly but ….
I’m trying to decide if the tote bag is worth $350 🤣🤣

Thanks

Maggie

@POA1 will tell you that tote bag AND the orange stripe key card are absolutely worth $350. The tote alone, maybe not, but the striped card pushes it over the top!!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, maggiev said:

Can I book a guarantee verandah, then add Club Orange to get an aft cabin?

Yes, as long as an aft verandah is available. All the verandah staterooms are in the same meta category, so you trade up to the highest available.

10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@POA1 will tell you that tote bag AND the orange stripe key card are absolutely worth $350. The tote alone, maybe not, but the striped card pushes it over the top!!

Darn tootin'!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Darn tootin'!

I look at mine every day (except when I can't remember where it is...); so exciting!

• Like 2

Additional question about CO on non-Pinnacle ships like the Nieuw Amsterdam for anyone that's experienced it:  Is CO breakfast served in the MDR or Pinnacle Grille since there is no dedicated dining room?

9 minutes ago, spkack said:

Additional question about CO on non-Pinnacle ships like the Nieuw Amsterdam for anyone that's experienced it:  Is CO breakfast served in the MDR or Pinnacle Grille since there is no dedicated dining room?

in the MDR.

Pinnacle Grill is reserved for Neptune Suites on the non Pinnacle ships.  

I suggest that when calling HAL to book you always ask if CO is available for purchase before you respond to the question of what cabin category you are interested in purchasing.  On Monday I spent 35 minutes on hold with HAL as the rep tried to ascertain whether CO was open on a booking I was trying to make.  Turned out it was no longer available on that sailing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

in the MDR.

Pinnacle Grill is reserved for Neptune Suites on the non Pinnacle ships.  

Thank you so much!  Thought that would be the case but was hoping for Pinnacle for brekky.

3 minutes ago, spkack said:

Thank you so much!  Thought that would be the case but was hoping for Pinnacle for brekky.

Sorry, it’s not large enough on many of the non Pinnacle class ships to accommodate Neptune Suites along with the additional CO passengers.

CO dining room is set up to be more efficient than the relaxing ambience of the PG from what I saw.