Ovation-Update on the Restaurant

texanaust

2 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Even if they've done so in the past, so much has changed in the Covid era, I think it deserves a fair trial now to see if more than a handful of passengers would utilize the Restaurant.)

There was way more than a handful at breakfast and lunch in the Restaurant on our cruise.  Both meals were quite good.  I especially loved the lunches--some really great dishes.  I do think the short time window puts some people off.  I am now actively looking at another cruise line that does serve lunch in some venues rather than a buffet or short repetitive menu.  I do really like Seabourn, but may well try another line (which we have sailed years ago).  

1 minute ago, SLSD said:

I am now actively looking at another cruise line that does serve lunch in some venues rather than a buffet or short repetitive menu.  I do really like Seabourn, but may well try another line

Hopefully they're getting this customer feedback — and hopefully you'll be able to deliver it directly in your focus group/interview. If they understand some loyal customers will explore other cruise lines over an issue like this, it should be something they take a close look at. 

It would be interesting to know — although we likely never will definitively — whether they are staffed up to 100% of the levels they intend on their ships, or if holes still exist that drive decisions like not opening the Restaurant to serve a relatively small number of passengers. Or if they are fully staffed, but have cut some staff positions in order to reduce their operating costs. 

@cruiseej I would definitely say staffing is lower than we have previously experienced and there didn't seem to be distinct roles or proper allocation of tables. One table of 6 had 3 members of staff serving them and I couldn't even get my water glass filled at times (or even worse, wine glass 😂😂)

43 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@SLSD re your friends, was that the 9th to 23rd July cruise? We also came home from that one and tested positive.

They were on an earlier cruise--The one starting around June 25th.  I may be off by a day.  But yes, they became positive at the very end of the cruise.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@cruiseej I would definitely say staffing is lower than we have previously experienced and there didn't seem to be distinct roles or proper allocation of tables. One table of 6 had 3 members of staff serving them and I couldn't even get my water glass filled at times (or even worse, wine glass 😂😂)

We always had three servers at our table---a head server and two helpers.  They worked as a team and were absolutely fabulous.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We always had three servers at our table---a head server and two helpers.  They worked as a team and were absolutely fabulous.  

Ah but this was the Colonnade (another reason for us not to like it) 😜 in the main dining room it worked exactly as you say.

Re the Covid, it must have been lingering on board. In fairness, if we had never heard of Covid I would say we had just picked up a bad cold (which hopefully, is what it is now)

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

Ah but this was the Colonnade (another reason for us not to like it) 😜 in the main dining room it worked exactly as you say.

Re the Covid, it must have been lingering on board. In fairness, if we had never heard of Covid I would say we had just picked up a bad cold (which hopefully, is what it is now)

We were just really fortunate concerning Covid.  We avoided the buffet as usual, washed our hands often, avoided the public restrooms, moved away from people who were coughing or sneezing repeatedly, etc. We tried to seat ourselves away from others in the Grand Salon when attending something there.  We had quite a few meals at Earth and Ocean outdoors.  We had really good weather.   However, we DID spend time on buses with lots  of (too many) people. We didn't go out of our way to dine with  others, but did enjoy our dinners with Bizinsider and MaryOGreen.  

But you are right--in years past, you would have assumed you had caught a cold--which HAS happened to us on prior cruises.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

Heimaey, Westman Islands today.  Weather was greatly improved and Seabourn Ovation managed to squeeze in between the 8 million Puffins.  

IMG_6262.thumb.JPG.6319977b1c253ce4d27418a6ba5aed3a.JPGIMG_6242.thumb.JPG.932fc9c75018c1572e1c65527c29f124.JPG

We hiked to the top of the Volcano and the views were impressive...

IMG_6253.thumb.JPG.4e1fd2747a5a1de09bc9cd36c0083668.JPG

IMG_6250.thumb.JPG.4a933d7d9a91b4037da45f752be88eff.JPG

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Looks like we missed a gorgeous stop!

Sky, (can we call you sky?) we visited Heimaey in September on the Venture.  Since it looks like we will have 32 day together on the Odyssey, we should be able to find some time to show you our photos. 🤔

Ann & Peter 

• Like 1

We were on from July 9th to 30th.  First 2 weeks MDR was usually open for lunch - we rarely do breakfast so didn't pay attention.  3rd week was not open for lunch and worse not on disembarkation day for last breakfast which we always do. Only the 2nd time that has happened.

Food we found to mostly be good. But NEVER actually hot and we sent back, as did others we were dining with, main courses on multiple occasions, which in the past we didn't have to.  Even one night in the TK multiple plates were unacceptable temperature wise.  Indian market and German lunch in Colonade were very good, patio for lunch was meh. We prefer MDR for lunch, but sushi was good.  Sushi at dinner was hard to get into and the people who we were traveling with don't like it so only ate dinner there once.

5 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

We were on from July 9th to 30th.  First 2 weeks MDR was usually open for lunch - we rarely do breakfast so didn't pay attention.  3rd week was not open for lunch and worse not on disembarkation day for last breakfast which we always do. Only the 2nd time that has happened.

Interesting. On the Covid-19 thread, it was noted that there were many cases on board, including some staff being quarantined. Maybe SB do intend to open the MDR for lunch, if there is sufficient demand, and if there is sufficient staff.

• Like 1

We had dinner with the HD director last night who is new to Seabourn.  He said corporate dictates when the MDR is open and on 7 night cruises they order it closed for lunch and dinner.  On 14 night cruises it is opened.  So if one books a 14 nighter that is subsequently sold as two 7 night cruises...well you are out of luck.   

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, texanaust said:

We had dinner with the HD director last night who is new to Seabourn.  He said corporate dictates when the MDR is open and on 7 night cruises they order it closed for lunch and dinner.  On 14 night cruises it is opened.  So if one books a 14 nighter that is subsequently sold as two 7 night cruises...well you are out of luck.   

Closed for lunch and dinner?

5 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

Closed for lunch and dinner?

Breakfast & lunch.  The first two nights of this segment were so full in the Restaurant that they were turning away people.  No one wanted to eat outside or at the Colonnade which had a very average Chinese menu.  

So we need to be writing to the new president to let her know that every Seabourn cruiser deserves to be able to have breakfast and lunch in the Restaurant.  We have just book our next Seabourn cruise which is 28 days.  As far as I can tell, it is two 14 day cruises, but I am. not positive about that.  I guess I had better start writing letters.  

Edited by SLSD

I am now at the Marriott in Copenhagen before tomorrow’s Silver Dawn cruise.

The Marriott here is a dated 1980s solid 4 star hotel. Rooms could sure use a reno. You can see its ground floor reno is underway. They have a big, now noisy, Exec Lounge with a breakfast buffet and evening wine hour with snacks. Very busy.

Very much a solid 4 star inasmuch as any higher rating would simply not be credible. Hardly a luxury product, but we all know that. You get what you pay for here.

Reminds me of Seabourn Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest. (Have they gotten new deck loungers yet?)

Happy and healthy sailing!

18 minutes ago, markham said:

The Marriott here is a dated 1980s solid 4 star hotel. Rooms could sure use a reno. You can see its ground floor reno is underway. They have a big, now noisy, Exec Lounge with a breakfast buffet and evening wine hour with snacks. Very busy.

Very much a solid 4 star inasmuch as any higher rating would simply not be credible. Hardly a luxury product, but we all know that. You get what you pay for here.

Reminds me of Seabourn Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest. (Have they gotten new deck loungers yet?)

We stayed at that same Marriott in June.   I agree with your rating.   I had substantial complaints,  

32 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We stayed at that same Marriott in June.   I agree with your rating.   I had substantial complaints,  

I meant to say we had NO substantial complaints!  LOL. multitasking, talking, and typing at the same time.  

1 hour ago, markham said:

Hope you enjoy your time on Dawn, and that it helps you get over the trauma and emotional distress you suffered on Seabourn.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Hope you enjoy your time on Dawn, and that it helps you get over the trauma and emotional distress you suffered on Seabourn.  

After 1000 days on Seabourn and enough inside understanding earned after 20+ years starting with Pride and Spirit (not to mention the maidens of Ody and Enc) we think we are entitled to share our disappointment with the brand. And our enthusiasm about Silversea’s improved product in the Muse, Moon and Dawn. 

Trauma and distress? Hardly. But not as much enjoyment and value - to us. Sad but true.

One lesson you might learn in life: your world is not always black and white, is it. There’s nuance, something we can articulate.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, markham said:

we think we are entitled to share our disappointment with the brand

Quite right and apparently also entitled to share in every and any forum, regardless of topic, timing, or occasion.  

13 minutes ago, markham said:

Trauma and distress? Hardly.

I assumed based on the tone and frequency of your put-downs of Seabourn, as it stands out compared to many of your previous posts.  My apologies for having misjudged that.

• Like 3