Review of Carnival Venezia Compared to Royal Caribbean

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Don't you need reservations (or at least recommended) for shows on Royal Caribbean?

Only on the Oasis/Quantum class ships and newer ships. Older ships do not need reservations.

• Like 1

I think people are forgiving of the reservations because of the caliber of the shows are higher - on the flip side the shows are always the same on the particular ships. Anthem which has been in NY for over 8 years - most people have sales multiple times and know the shows - so they may not even go. Oasis is in its second/third season and anyone who has gone on prob will not return to cats. But the water and ice show however is really special and I can see reservations being tight especially if a show is cancelled due to rocking/wind. 

I’ll point out that the cutbacks on RCL over the past year are far more noticeable than Carnival.  We did our first RCL cruise early last summer on the Navigator.  COVID restrictions were in place and the ship was sailing half-full.  By end of year, restrictions were lifted and the ship was complete full.  Yet when the ship was half full they managed to keep all buffet areas open on sea days yet by year end most remained closed.  They also eliminated the giant desserts from the buffet.

Nor did I notice any material difference in food choices or quality.  At least Carnival has Guy’s.  Royal charges more for Johnny Rockets than my local SoCal Johnny Rockets does.  Ouch.  Some Carnival ships have better food options just like some RCL.  

Both are more similar than dislike.

7 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I think people are forgiving of the reservations because of the caliber of the shows are higher - on the flip side the shows are always the same on the particular ships. Anthem which has been in NY for over 8 years - most people have sales multiple times and know the shows - so they may not even go. Oasis is in its second/third season and anyone who has gone on prob will not return to cats. But the water and ice show however is really special and I can see reservations being tight especially if a show is cancelled due to rocking/wind. 

Navigator has one production show and one ice skating show.  That’s fine when it does weekend cruises, not when it does weeklong cruises.  Unless you’re on the Oasis class, Carnival outshines here.

14 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Navigator has one production show and one ice skating show.  That’s fine when it does weekend cruises, not when it does weeklong cruises.  Unless you’re on the Oasis class, Carnival outshines here.

I have been on Royal when there is only one or two productions for 7-11 days. They fill with other shows. Excellent musical acts - Whitney Houston and Adel impersonators and other shows/comedy. I don’t believe Carnival shines in theater entertainment. Heck in their vista class and sunshined ships the theaters are pathetic and made into night clubs. Yes - wasted space if you have nothing to show in them. But we are all entitled to an opinion….

21 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Two good shows are better than mediocre talent - no matter the length of time. Don’t forget they all do the love and marriage show and Magic/illusionist. These shows are always just a circus act at best on both lines. 

4 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Two good shows are better than mediocre talent - no matter the length of time. Don’t forget they all do the love and marriage show and Magic/illusionist. These shows are always just a circus act at best on both lines. 

Almost 40% of the Navigator’s weeks are spent doing the 7-day Mexican Riviera itinerary, with most all the rest splitting 3/4 day Ensenada trips.  We’ve done two 7-day so far - one last year and one earlier this year.

The 3d does welcome show  comedy- Showgirls production show - goodbye show comedy.  The 4d adds Love and Marriage between Showgirls and the goodbye show comedy.  The entertainment program on the 7-day was welcome comedy - Showgirls production - Love and Marriage - welcome comedy show encore -  - Showgirls production encore - Boys vs Girls PG early / goodbye comedy R late -  goodbye comedy PG / Boys vs Girls R.  On the 3/4-day, the Bore vs. Girls is held where the ice shaking show is.  In other words… the 7d had an identical entertainment program.

On our second 7d, the Showgirls encore was replaced with the house band playing various songs while the Showgirls dancers danced.  I’ve written before that Showgirls is the worst production show I’ve ever seen on a cruise ship, and when they danced with the house band, inviting the audience up, it was painfully obvious they didn’t want to be there.  I will be on another 7d in a few weeks, so I will see if things changed.

Meanwhile, the Radiance had three production shows that rotate + at least two comedians.  And the Panorama has four production shows… that doesn’t include the Welcome Aboard show which is universal on Carnival and includes a small production show.  The Panorama also has at least four comedians.

I’m sure the Oasis-class has better entertainment, but RCL charges a hefty premium for these ships.  Most itineraries on the Wonder vs. the Mariner of the Seas are double, even though itineraries are similar.  

If I want to see a broadway type show, I will go to broadway.  When on Oasis, we saw hairspray, it was def meh, saw the ice show meh.  Summer stock is summer stock.  NCL’sversion of Jersey Boys was at least good talent.  At least Carnival shows are somewhat original.  The talent level around the ship is far superior on Carnival then any mega of the seas, imho.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Almost 40% of the Navigator’s weeks are spent doing the 7-day Mexican Riviera itinerary, with most all the rest splitting 3/4 day Ensenada trips.  We’ve done two 7-day so far - one last year and one earlier this year.

The 3d does welcome show  comedy- Showgirls production show - goodbye show comedy.  The 4d adds Love and Marriage between Showgirls and the goodbye show comedy.  The entertainment program on the 7-day was welcome comedy - Showgirls production - Love and Marriage - welcome comedy show encore -  - Showgirls production encore - Boys vs Girls PG early / goodbye comedy R late -  goodbye comedy PG / Boys vs Girls R.  On the 3/4-day, the Bore vs. Girls is held where the ice shaking show is.  In other words… the 7d had an identical entertainment program.

On our second 7d, the Showgirls encore was replaced with the house band playing various songs while the Showgirls dancers danced.  I’ve written before that Showgirls is the worst production show I’ve ever seen on a cruise ship, and when they danced with the house band, inviting the audience up, it was painfully obvious they didn’t want to be there.  I will be on another 7d in a few weeks, so I will see if things changed.

Meanwhile, the Radiance had three production shows that rotate + at least two comedians.  And the Panorama has four production shows… that doesn’t include the Welcome Aboard show which is universal on Carnival and includes a small production show.  The Panorama also has at least four comedians.

I’m sure the Oasis-class has better entertainment, but RCL charges a hefty premium for these ships.  Most itineraries on the Wonder vs. the Mariner of the Seas are double, even though itineraries are similar.  

If you have been on any ship multiple times the shows are meaningless

50 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

If I want to see a broadway type show, I will go to broadway.  When on Oasis, we saw hairspray, it was def meh, saw the ice show meh.  Summer stock is summer stock.  NCL’sversion of Jersey Boys was at least good talent.  At least Carnival shows are somewhat original.  The talent level around the ship is far superior on Carnival then any mega of the seas, imho.

I respectfully disagree on talent level they they are all armatures on ship - “if I want to see a broadway show….” - OKAY 

I was just on Freedom and their main show ‘Once upon a time” had almost 20 entertainers, the ice show had 10 skaters, while I was on the magic last year I counted no more than 8 entertainers. The shows on Royal cost more and take more to put on with so many more pieces so I may forgive them if there’s are less of them. I dont miss shows in general as I have been on enough cruises to know what they are anyways. I am never bored on a ship or hungry!

Thankfully not everyone has the same taste or there wouldn’t be competition and choice. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I respectfully disagree on talent level they they are all armatures on ship - “if I want to see a broadway show….” - OKAY 

I was just on Freedom and their main show ‘Once upon a time” had almost 20 entertainers, the ice show had 10 skaters, while I was on the magic last year I counted no more than 8 entertainers. The shows on Royal cost more and take more to put on with so many more pieces so I may forgive them if there’s are less of them. I dont miss shows in general as I have been on enough cruises to know what they are anyways. I am never bored on a ship or hungry!

Thankfully not everyone has the same taste or there wouldn’t be competition and choice. 

Different options for different people.  All good

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

The radiance and the panorama don’t even have proper theaters. Thy have auditorium’s with rafter seats on the side that is set up with chairs in the middle. Those theaters are a joke. Also more shows don’t necessarily mean that they’re shows of quality . More products in the store don’t make the  products that much better than the store with less products. 

Cruises are based off of supply and demand. If one ship is newer, and has more attention than the sky would be the limit to how much they could charge for people to come on the ship I don’t believe that the new XL ships cost the same as a conquest class ship and if they do then shame on Carnival for not doing a better job, promoting their newest and brightest ships. 

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Different options for different people.  All good

And that is why every ship has many classes of rooms. The ships all go to the same place, but what people pay to go fluctuate but nobody would say that the experience in a grande suite and an inside room on the lowest deck are similar.

37 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

The radiance and the panorama don’t even have proper theaters. Thy have auditorium’s with rafter seats on the side that is set up with chairs in the middle. Those theaters are a joke. Also more shows don’t necessarily mean that they’re shows of quality . More products in the store don’t make the  products that much better than the store with less products. 

Cruises are based off of supply and demand. If one ship is newer, and has more attention than the sky would be the limit to how much they could charge for people to come on the ship I don’t believe that the new XL ships cost the same as a conquest class ship and if they do then shame on Carnival for not doing a better job, promoting their newest and brightest ships. 

Most would disagree with your view on excel class.  By far the most popular. Won’t go into a deep discussion but mega of the seas was a once and done.  Never again, maybe for free, but would have to think about it.  Have zero desire to go on their latest.  No dog is this fight but if you think Jubilee costs the same as Conquest, you better go check the math.  Moving on 

Edited by jimbo5544

51 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Most would disagree with your view on excel class.  By far the most popular. Won’t go into a deep discussion but mega of the seas was a once and done.  Never again, maybe for free, but would have to think about it.  Have zero desire to go on their latest.  No dog is this fight but if you think Jubilee costs the same as Conquest, you better go check the math.  Moving on 

I'm the opposite. What I like about oasis class is such a high percentage of balconies, with my discounts, sometimes a balcony is less than a inside cabin. Older ships dont have the inside balconies so balconies on older ships are a much higher rate vs insides. I love the cheap inside balconies. I like park cafe with the roast beef and bagels in the morning. I'm a fan of cruising at the best price I can find. I see you arent a fan. Luckily still lots of other choices. .. I'm looking for new ports more so than ships. But love big ships prices on balconys. 

Personally I'd wait to book newer ships but I want to do mardi gras (or jubilee) but I'm planning a move to cape Canaveral. The group on cc I've sailed with did oasis last spring break. Next group is wonder feb 2 2025, and utopia we added lately, only a 4 day. Not my picks. Wonder is right now my most expensive, but it's with friends. The ones I picked and added lately, were for seeing new ports when I move to florida I havent seen. DR, Bonaire.. others. Adventure april 2025, ABC islands. 

I know many are all about the ship. I also consider ports. 14 day dream jan 13 I picked for the ports. It does seem like I'm always picking between older ships with better ports, vs newer ships with boring ports. I'm a fan of more places to eat, more pay restaurants. Like mardi gras. I wouldnt have picked dream lol. But wanted the ports. Last carnival was b2b breeze. I'll have to cruise more when I move to get them all in.

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm the opposite. What I like about oasis class is such a high percentage of balconies, with my discounts, sometimes a balcony is less than a inside cabin. Older ships dont have the inside balconies so balconies on older ships are a much higher rate vs insides. I love the cheap inside balconies. I like park cafe with the roast beef and bagels in the morning. I'm a fan of cruising at the best price I can find. I see you arent a fan. Luckily still lots of other choices. .. I'm looking for new ports more so than ships. But love big ships prices on balconys. 

Personally I'd wait to book newer ships but I want to do mardi gras (or jubilee) but I'm planning a move to cape Canaveral. The group on cc I've sailed with did oasis last spring break. Next group is wonder feb 2 2025, and utopia we added lately, only a 4 day. Not my picks. Wonder is right now my most expensive, but it's with friends. The ones I picked and added lately, were for seeing new ports when I move to florida I havent seen. DR, Bonaire.. others. Adventure april 2025, ABC islands. 

I know many are all about the ship. I also consider ports. 14 day dream jan 13 I picked for the ports. It does seem like I'm always picking between older ships with better ports, vs newer ships with boring ports. I'm a fan of more places to eat, more pay restaurants. Like mardi gras. I wouldnt have picked dream lol. But wanted the ports. Last carnival was b2b breeze. I'll have to cruise more when I move to get them all in.

sounds like a plan.  

I suppose it depends on why we do cruise vacations, and what our expectations are when we cruise. For us, the entertainment on a ship isn’t a huge part of why we sail on a particular ship. We look at the ports, days at sea, not cooking for a week or more, relaxing, and just having a nice time. As far as comparing cruise lines for entertainment, food, etc., you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time. I’m pretty sure there are issues occasionally on every ship and cruise line. When you run into problems, or things you may not have enjoyed on your journey, try and get past it and move on folks. Life is too short. 

P.S. after our 2nd cruise on the Carnival Pride, I said I probably wouldn’t cruise on Pride again because of some ridiculous reason, but a year later we gave it another try and in Sept. 2022 we completed our 7th cruise on the Pride. 

Edited by fair-winds39
adding additional info
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Don't you need reservations (or at least recommended) for shows on Royal Caribbean?

On Oasis you need it for Aqua 80 and the ice show. But not for the basic production shows or on smaller ships.

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

25 minutes ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

On Oasis you need it for Aqua 80 and the ice show. But not for the basic production shows or on smaller ships.

Also the comedy show, which is often the hardest to get in, smaller room. And the musical. 4 shows on oasis. Idk if there are more than 4 on wonder, but I see a all womens water show. And some others mentioned. I'm ok with booking shows ahead on large ships so they can manage traffic so not everyone is in the theater same night. Seemed less crowded. 

Dream my expectations are low, hopefully everyone can carry a tune. I have noticed on carnival since they now require singers to also dance, the singing isnt as good as it used to be. Sorry but I've seen too many carnival shows where they cant carry a tune, but dance well. This change was well before covid when carnival made singers also dance. Not enough to have a great voice. 

Each line does some things very well. No line is perfect in all things. ..if only carnival would have a huge one day sale. I'm so there. 

• Haha 1

Thank you for your review. I was booked on Venezia for the December 28th cruise but recently cancelled it. After reading the maiden voyage reviews, seeing the menus and the various footage of the fights, I just didn’t think it was for me. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Destaw71835 said:

Thank you for your review. I was booked on Venezia for the December 28th cruise but recently cancelled it. After reading the maiden voyage reviews, seeing the menus and the various footage of the fights, I just didn’t think it was for me. 

I always cancel a cruise when new menu’s are announced.  You know what they say once a fight always a fight..  For the record, I can show you a youtube from every line of a fight on board….including Disney.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stick93 said:

If you have been on any ship multiple times the shows are meaningless

Yeah,. because people don't watch the same movies & tv shows again, go to the same live theater shows again, etc.  When the Nutcracker and Christmas Carol play during the Holidays, it's always first timers.

You're really grasping for straws here.

7 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Again, you're grasping for straws.  The chairs were placed intentionally so that the space is flexible.  Celestial Strings, for example, extends the stage into that portion of the auditorium.  Most of the seating arrangement is traditional.

And as I mentioned, Showgirls -- the ONLY production show on a 7-day RCL cruise -- is the absolute worst production show I've ever seen.  Cruise production shows generally leave a lot to be desired and from everything I've read, the shows on RCL are comparable to Carnival, sans a few full production available on the Oasis Class ships.  That certainly doesn't give RCL an *overall* edge.

7 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Only a few RCL ships have premium entertainment.  But the premium entertainment applies to only a handful of shows; the overall entertainment program is very similar to Carnival.  Odds are, if you're traveling RCL, you're going to get standard entertainment comparable to Carnival.  Yet some members like yourself want to pretend these few shows represent the entire brand, which is simply not true.  Carnival's overall entertainment program leaves a lot to be desired but so does RCL's.  I'd give the edge to Carnival on most itineraries.  

Both cruise lines, BTW, garner premiums for their newest and biggest ships.  That trend has been true for decades.  If every ship were an Oasis, Excel, etc. there would be no premium.  Supply and demand - those who are willing to pay more for the biggest and newest will seek those ships out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itried4498 said:

Yeah,. because people don't watch the same movies & tv shows again, go to the same live theater shows again, etc.  When the Nutcracker and Christmas Carol play during the Holidays, it's always first timers.

You're really grasping for straws here.

Again, you're grasping for straws.  The chairs were placed intentionally so that the space is flexible.  Celestial Strings, for example, extends the stage into that portion of the auditorium.  Most of the seating arrangement is traditional.

And as I mentioned, Showgirls -- the ONLY production show on a 7-day RCL cruise -- is the absolute worst production show I've ever seen.  Cruise production shows generally leave a lot to be desired and from everything I've read, the shows on RCL are comparable to Carnival, sans a few full production available on the Oasis Class ships.  That certainly doesn't give RCL an *overall* edge.

Only a few RCL ships have premium entertainment.  But the premium entertainment applies to only a handful of shows; the overall entertainment program is very similar to Carnival.  Odds are, if you're traveling RCL, you're going to get standard entertainment comparable to Carnival.  Yet some members like yourself want to pretend these few shows represent the entire brand, which is simply not true.  Carnival's overall entertainment program leaves a lot to be desired but so does RCL's.  I'd give the edge to Carnival on most itineraries.  

Both cruise lines, BTW, garner premiums for their newest and biggest ships.  That trend has been true for decades.  If every ship were an Oasis, Excel, etc. there would be no premium.  Supply and demand - those who are willing to pay more for the biggest and newest will seek those ships out.  

We can agree to disagree on this

Grasping at straws - I’m not sure I understand what you mean by that.

The same shows run on every ship as in every broadway theater for long periods of time. That cannot be changed.

The Theater not being traditional and set up lite an auditorium with chairs is not a look in my opinion. 

If those are straws so be it - I just hope they are biodegradable!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

We can agree to disagree on this

Grasping at straws - I’m not sure I understand what you mean by that.

The same shows run on every ship as in every broadway theater for long periods of time. That cannot be changed.

The Theater not being traditional and set up lite an auditorium with chairs is not a look in my opinion. 

If those are straws so be it - I just hope they are biodegradable!

I was going to mention Carnival's stance on straws.....but.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1