Almost live Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes, July 28th 2023

WanderingBrit

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

WanderingBrit was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Finally time to start a trip we booked almost 2 years ago while onboard Orion in Bermuda!

Setting off for O’Hare starts with confronting the difference between the weather we’re leaving, and what awaits us.

It’s nice to start in some comfort, with a driver we’ve used before. 

IMG_4607.jpeg

IMG_4608.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

What ship are you on?  What itinerary exactly?  You didn't say.  NYC?  Reykjavik?  Bergen?  Saturn?  Neptune?  Star?  Jupiter?

There’s only one Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes leaving on July 28th 😎 Reykjavik to Bergen by way of the Faroes on Jupiter

17 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

I don’t think I’ve ever crossed the Atlantic in something this small

IMG_4614.jpeg

Not to worry - you're only crossing 1/2 the Atlantic (Reykjavik) so not too small. 😈  FWIW, we have always found Saga class an excellent value - will be interested to hear your views. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

We booked “Economy + hotel transfer” with Airport Direct.

I carried a printed copy of the ticket with us, which the bus agent scanned at the bus stop at the airport. Because you specify which hotel you need during booking, when you arrive at the bus transfer point they’ve already figured out which minibus you’re to get in. Very helpful staff cross load your bags from the big bus to the little one, and off you go!

The connection buses stop at marked spots, they’ll tell you which is the one closest to your hotel. Couldn’t be easier.

IMG_4634.jpeg

Saga Premium is decent value, unless you have a ton of BA Avios points like I do 😁 One way Saga Premium for 2 from O’Hare to Keflavik was $2,200, and that’s in seats that are a long way from a Club World lie flat “suite”. Our round trip O’Hare to Aberdeen next May cost $1,400 and points for 2, and that’s a decent bed for the overnight leg.

5 1/2 hours is a nice short flight though!

IMG_4617.thumb.jpeg.b475fc466ec8b006292e376b09d02c7d.jpeg

7 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

Greenland, which isn’t green, and Iceland which isn’t ice.

IMG_4621.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg

Must be something about names in the North Atlantic, apparently Labrador dogs are from Newfoundland, and Newfoundland dogs are from Labrador. Perhaps early explorers had enjoyed the duty free? 😁🍷🍺

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

I don’t think I’ve ever crossed the Atlantic in something this small

IMG_4614.jpeg

First time I flew with these guys the plane had propellers.  This is a distinct improvement. 

Thanks for the fantastic pictures of the Icelandair experience.  I will definitely be sending anyone on our roll call interested in more info about Icelandair to check out the photos.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just for reference and to manage expectations:

Lunch was 2 Icelandic beers, Ham & Cheese Panini, and Fish & Chips. All perfectly decent, but hardly a fancy establishment: $71

Two hotdogs at a food truck: $15

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

Just for reference and to manage expectations:

Lunch was 2 Icelandic beers, Ham & Cheese Panini, and Fish & Chips. All perfectly decent, but hardly a fancy establishment: $71

Two hotdogs at a food truck: $15

At separate times, we ordered each of these restaurant items last week during our six-day stay in Iceland’s Westfjords. The beers were about $10 each; the panini, $11; and $25 for the fish and chips. So $71 seems high, but that could be due to higher prices in Reykjavik. 

If you plan to arrive early and stay in Reykjavik, which I heartily recommend, you’ll find that not only are hotels heated by geothermal water but it also provides the hot water to your shower. The resulting aroma may cause you to shorten your time under the jets, but the slightly raised alkalinity is nice and soft 😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SJD117 said:

At separate times, we ordered each of these restaurant items last week during our six-day stay in Iceland’s Westfjords. The beers were about $10 each; the panini, $11; and $25 for the fish and chips. So $71 seems high, but that could be due to higher prices in Reykjavik. 

Iceland & Norway are both very expensive.

And we’re onboard!

Paperwork check ashore got us our cards and excursion tickets, but the real check in was once onboard - in The Restaurant, where we also had our muster drill.

our first location in The World Cafe soon got very much busier than shown, and we moved to the Aquavit Terrace indoor area. Much nicer!

IMG_4689.jpeg

IMG_4690.jpeg

IMG_4692.jpeg

IMG_4693.jpeg

• Like 3