On line check-in problem

LadyBerard

Check-in opened up for me today for our August 18th trip on the Pearl.  However, although I have tried taking numerous photos for the "required" photo, I cannot get past that point.  I guess it doesn't like the photo for whatever reason.  Is there a way around this so that we can complete our check-in and access our boarding pass?

Are they not taking pictures at the pier any longer?

@LadyBerard Had the same trouble in April. Try taking the photos using head / shoulders only, no glasses against a white background using a smartphone and saving as a .jpeg or .png file. Email the photos to yourself and only try checking-in using your desk-top or lap-top. 

Something in the algorithm got angry when I tried to use my phone to check-in and it took about 6 different photo configurations until I got it to "take". 

Then, of course be prepared to have 5-6 emails sent to you to view re: watching the safety videos. A small but frustrating price to pay!

Hope that is helpful.

Warmest, Amy 

We got my photo on (though we had to retake it after we read the no glasses requirement), but then had trouble with getting DW's picture on. We called the NCL number and somehow they got it to work, not sure how as it was DW on the phone with them.

I recently had this issue.  Even used a picture I used for a cruise a few months ago.  After trying 3 different pictures, the app said they would take my picture at check-in.  Even without the pic I'm at 100% check-in.  Some in my sailings group switched from the app to a pc and said uploading a pic worked.  I'm just going to wait for check-in. 

We called NCL and they completed the check-in without the picture saying you can take the picture at the dock. 

They also said that the way they finalize the check-in - and how one can do it at home, is that if you try 2 times and the picture upload doesn't work,  on the 3rd time, the system will complete your check-in with the message to take a picture at the dock.

We had people in our group able to use that little hack and complete the online check-in with no acceptable picture and we had some people who did not have success and just called NCL to complete their check-in with no picture. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if you do get the photo to "take" you still have a "better than average" chance of having your photo retaken at the pier. I just get the system to accept the goofiest photo of me I can. I always have my photo retaken. Others that do it seriously, often report having their photo taken again.

All that paragraph to say, don't stress. Hakuna matata! Happy sailing!!!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Even if you do get the photo to "take" you still have a "better than average" chance of having your photo retaken at the pier. I just get the system to accept the goofiest photo of me I can. I always have my photo retaken. Others that do it seriously, often report having their photo taken again.

All that paragraph to say, don't stress. Hakuna matata! Happy sailing!!!

Yeah….seems like they don’t care about your photo uploaded when you’re checking in at the pier.  They seem to always retake mine again, anyway.

• Thanks 1

Biggest waste of time and source of frustration (especially since they take your picture when you check in at the dock). For return Latitudes members, why can't your picture be stored in the system? Manually re-taking your mug shot for every cruise is a royal pain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Biggest waste of time and source of frustration (especially since they take your picture when you check in at the dock). For return Latitudes members, why can't your picture be stored in the system? Manually re-taking your mug shot for every cruise is a royal pain.

DCL does that and they don't take it at pier.  There might be a few year limit though.

36 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Manually re-taking your mug shot for every cruise is a royal pain.

Really?!?  

I would say uploading pre-cruise is the pain.  However, it could be an added security check for the checkin agents.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, laudergayle said:

Really?!?  

I would say uploading pre-cruise is the pain.  However, it could be an added security check for the checkin agents.  

You did not quote right person, try again.

2 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Really?!?  

The added security is not those agents, it is the crew who scans you on and off the ship.

2 minutes ago, dexddd said:

The added security is not those agents, it is the crew who scans you on and off the ship.

I was thinking of the security as a pre-board, pre-checkin check.  If you don’t look like the photo you uploaded, the checkin agent will be more diligent in checking your passport or DL/BC…before issuing you your cruise card.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Really?!?  

That's exactly what I meant to say. The process of manually taking and uploading your own photo numerous times before it "takes" is the pain. Taking it at the pier is a much better solution...until NCL figures a way to keep your photo in the system.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

Check-in opened up for me today for our August 18th trip on the Pearl.  However, although I have tried taking numerous photos for the "required" photo, I cannot get past that point.  I guess it doesn't like the photo for whatever reason.  Is there a way around this so that we can complete our check-in and access our boarding pass?

Are they not taking pictures at the pier any longer?

I hate this part of check in and yes they will take your photo at the pier also. I usually check in on my desktop for the other parts and use my cell phone to do the stupid and really frustrating photo thingy.  Sometimes the system will decide it does 'like' that photo after all even though it was rejected 3X. 

• Like 1

I had to change my shirt to get an acceptable photo. It was a print, I changed to a solid color and it worked. Also make sure you have good lighting. 

I vote for them keeping your "good" photo on file for awhile.

Last cruise I did not need my picture retaken at the pier, but my husband did. I try to have the same goofy look on my face when I take my picture as I will have on embarkation day. That excited, can't wait to board look. I still get excited even after 24 cruises. 

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone.  I was able to complete the check-in process after numerous tries of getting the picture to be accepted.  It never was though.  My edocs were not showing up though, so I called and got that straightened out.  Printed first two pages of edocs, just to have, and took a snapshot of them too.  Started packing!!!!  Yea...........3 more weeks and off to Bermuda on the Pearl we will go to celebrate my big 60th!!!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Slightly reviving the topic, since I'll be facing this in two weeks.

Is there a size limit (pixels/megabytes) for the picture?  I'm trying to have a couple of pix ready, but am afraid that they might be too big for the upload.

I don't know about the size but I just take one with the camera on my laptop, save it to my desktop and have used the same photo for every cruise. Sometimes I have had it retaken at the port and sometimes I have not...guess it just depends on the person. As long as it looks similar to a passport photo, you should be fine.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 10:26 AM, schmoopie17 said:

AMEN!  This photo upload thing is the biggest nuisance and I wish they would just drop it from the check in process.  The SAME picture is accepted for one cruise and rejected for another without rhyme or reason.  You waste an hour trying and then they re-take your photo at the pier anyway!