Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

1 hour ago, 3Green3 said:

I saw that although not to my country so you’d think the system would automatically grant a $10 spending credit but …. I doubt very much they will do that! Though it would be a little thing that would have a big impact - for me certainly 

Inquire at Guest Services on the ship.  You will likely receive $10 Refundable OBC for the asking.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Well a cruise fare discount, plus $10 off the discount to pay for the new Plus.  If cruise fare went down $100 you would have saved net $90.

???????

If my cruise fare was, say, $1000 before the re-fare and $900 after , then , no matter what the Plus part of it was, I saved $100.

I don't understand how you got to $90.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gah_cruise said:

we like Princess but it appears they cannot be trusted and that will definitely be a major factor when we nook our next cruise.

And I think you’ve hit the nail on the head: it’s not the point of increasing prices, it’s how they have carried it out and can we now trust them to not do it again with other items which are currently included in our fare.  

I have had 2 emails in the last few days: one promoting excursions and the other for the medallion that I can only collect at the port (cruising in less than 3 weeks and not bothered as it’s always been that way), yet nothing to say that they are removing amenities from my cruise which I have already paid for!

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, chamima said:

???????

If my cruise fare was, say, $1000 before the re-fare and $900 after , then , no matter what the Plus part of it was, I saved $100.

I don't understand how you got to $90.

I wrote poorly.  If your cruise fare was $1000 previously for say 10-night voyage, that is $100/day.  $50 of that was for Plus package.  So, cruise fare was $50/day.

Now your cruise costs $900, or $90/day.  But $60 of that is for Plus package (new price).  So, the cruise fare is now $30/day and the savings in cruise fare is $20/day.  Net savings of $10 after the cost of upgrade to new Plus as part of the re-fare.

I suppose it didn't mean much to post this in retrospect as you saved money and got new Plus in the deal.  It would have been worth it to you to re-fare for $0 net if cruise fare went down $10/day as you would then have got the new Plus for $10, offsetting the fare reduction.  I wonder how many people might have caught something like that.

ETA:  I wonder about the theoretical savvy guest who booked a voyage for $2,000/pp with Plus back in November 2022 and saw same voyage price in June for $2,000/pp with Plus and then phoned TA or whoever to re-fare (just to get the new Plus for free).

Edited by Steelers36

21 minutes ago, gah_cruise said:

If Princess had announced that wef Aug 01 that all new bookings would incur these additional fees, then I believe there would have been far fewer "comments".
But they didn't ... they are charging a group of passengers for services that, at the time of booking, were included....which frankly stinks.  

As it stands (at the moment....)  our next cruise with Princess is unaffected (unless we have 3 or more Alfredo pizzas)....we like Princess but it appears they cannot be trusted and that will definitely be a major factor when we book our next cruise.

What extra fees?  I have not seen any notice on that so I am curious as we have several cruises booked

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yeah.. they're going to stick it to the crew instead of sticking it to JP!

My concern is, some will do this to compensate for felt losses, real or imagined.

Go standard and bring booze onboard in a resealed champagne bottle if a small act of civil disobedience makes you feel better, but whatever had been your gift to the crew should not change.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

There are other tables and waiters to move to if waiting until after dinner.  Which ship BTW?

yes i know there are other tables and waiters but i was specifically stating that sometimes even when you try you dont get it.  we loved our servers that first night and wanted to stay with them and loved the area the table was in but it did not work out and i was not willing to waste my vacation fighting for something that used to just happen when we booked a set time for dining. We were on the CB in 2022 which sailed just about full.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruzrbachoua said:

yes i know there are other tables and waiters but i was specifically stating that sometimes even when you try you don't get it.  we loved our servers that first night and wanted to stay with them and loved the area the table was in but it did not work out and i was not willing to waste my vacation fighting for something that used to just happen when we booked a set time for dining. We were on the CB in 2022 which sailed just about full.

Understood.  They are supposed to make it happen as PCL still promises the TD experience, but if it's a PITA for guest, not great.

Edited by Steelers36

This question may already been answer and if so, I do apologize. 
Question - we’re booked on a cruise for next year and we have Princess Plus so does this mean we are automatically included with the new changes?

3 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Question - we’re booked on a cruise for next year and we have Princess Plus so does this mean we are automatically included with the new changes?

Maybe yes; maybe no.  When did you book or last re-fare your booking.  If after Dec 14, then you have the new plan and are good to go.  If not, you have the old plan and don't get the new things.  Choice is to pay as you go or upgrade to new Plus.

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

It depends when you booked it.

I have sent an email to Guest Relations making my feelings very clear and requesting that they reinstate the full benefits that were offered when I paid for my cruise. Not likely to work, but if enough people express their feelings, they may relinquish for those that have already paid, or at least give more than two meals on a 24 day cruise, which is now my situation.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Maybe yes; maybe no.  When did you book or last re-fare your booking.  If after Dec 14, then you have the new plan and are good to go.  If not, you have the old plan and don't get the new things.  Choice is to pay as you go or upgrade to new Plus.

We were re-fare on July 11. Originally booked last Fall

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Yes you will now only have the reduced benefits for Plus. My cruise departs this September and Princess have confirmed this on a chat line today for any departures after August 12.

4 minutes ago, peajay said:

Yes you will now only have the reduced benefits for Plus. My cruise departs this September and Princess have confirmed this on a chat line today for any departures after August 12.

Wrong.  The member re-fared this year so had the new Plus.

1. Will I receive the new perks if I purchased Princess Plus or Premier at the old rate of $50/$75 per day?
    You can absolutely upgrade to the new perks at the new price! If you do not wish to upgrade, you can enjoy the package with the original perks as you initially purchased them.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

Edited by DHP1

17 hours ago, caribill said:

You are not hurting Princess by doing this. Princess $$$ from you does not drop.

You are reducing the amount of $$$ that those in the tipping pool get.

You assuming my motive is punitive? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DHP1 said:
  1. Will I receive the new perks if I purchased Princess Plus or Premier at the old rate of $50/$75 per day?
    You can absolutely upgrade to the new perks at the new price! If you do not wish to upgrade, you can enjoy the package with the original perks as you initially purchased them.

Which means if you only paid the old rate for your packages, then you will have to pay either more to upgrade or extra for using any of the changes to amenities. But it’s irrespective as you only have the same benefits that you paid for if you have purchased the new Premier package - all other packages/standard fares result in a reduction to what you originally booked and paid for.

4 minutes ago, villauk said:

But it’s irrespective as you only have the same benefits that you paid for if you have purchased the new Premier package - all other packages/standard fares result in a reduction to what you originally booked and paid for.

That's not necessarily true, if I understand the new arrangements correctly.  For example, people who have the 'new' Plus package and are sailing on ships without Alfredos have had no reduction to what they 'originally booked and paid for'.  And, even on ships with Alfredos, it could be argued that people with the 'new' Plus are getting what they paid for in terms of casual restaurants (if one takes a glass half full approach to life).  Their booking included food at casual eateries without a charge (I hesitate to say they 'paid' for that because it is difficult to pay for something for which there is no charge).  They now have a package which includes food at casual eateries without a charge and 2 x meals at a casual eatery with a charge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

That's not necessarily true, if I understand the new arrangements correctly.  For example, people who have the 'new' Plus package and are sailing on ships without Alfredos have had no reduction to what they 'originally booked and paid for'.  And, even on ships with Alfredos, it could be argued that people with the 'new' Plus are getting what they paid for in terms of casual restaurants (if one takes a glass half full approach to life).  Their booking included food at casual eateries without a charge (I hesitate to say they 'paid' for that because it is difficult to pay for something for which there is no charge).  They now have a package which includes food at casual eateries without a charge and 2 x meals at a casual eatery with a charge.

You can spin it all you want. There has been a reduction to all those except on the new Premier package (obviously relevant to ships that have Alfredo’s). Getting 2 visits, where previously it was unlimited, is a reduction.  

Edited by villauk
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, villauk said:

You can spin it all you want. There has been a reduction to all those except on the new Premier package (obviously relevant to ships that have Alfredo’s). Getting 2 visits, where previously it was unlimited, is a reduction.  

You are correct.  The number of visits to Alfredos has been reduced.  However, the value 'booked and paid for' has not reduced.  It was infinity x 0$.  It will be 2 x $14.99.  Not spin, just the facts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gah_cruise said:

I did not realise until a few days ago that gratuities were not able to be removed/reduced if you have purchased a package.  Does anyone how much of the package cost is apportioned as "crew appreciation" and supposedly passed over to the fleetwide tipping pool.  

The same as one would normally pay. For most cabin $16 per person. Same as for previous sales that included gratuities. The company funds the gratuity pool.

Technically buying a package with gratuities is a voluntary act of an optional purchase so it does not violate US accounting rules concerning how gratuities are handled.