Tipping Porters

m8zenblue

We have cruised out of Port Everglades a few times and have question for the forum about tipping the porters, embarkation/debarkation.

We always tip because we have several pieces of large heavy bags.

I know tipping is a personal choice.

The last time we cruised out of Port Everglades a couple years ago we overheard something very disturbing.

A gentleman unloading bags with the porter refused to tip him and the porter said "good luck getting your bags".

My question is do you have to tip porters ?

I understand the porters are salaried employees of the port ?

Can they really disrupt your baggage ?

3 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

We have cruised out of Port Everglades a few times and have question for the forum about tipping the porters, embarkation/debarkation.

The last time we cruised out of Port Everglades a couple years ago we overheard something very disturbing.

A gentleman unloading bags with the porter refused to tip him and the porter said "good luck getting your bags".

They are providing you a personal service so yes, you need to tip or you can lug them yourselves.  Porters are the lowest paid members of the longshoreman's union,  but what they are paid is irrelevant since they are doing for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

We do tip and watch them put the bags in the baggage cages.

I have heard of one person who said their bag was left on the outside curb.  They used an Apple Tag to locate it. 😞

I'll say what everyone is afraid to say: It isn't "tipping" at the cruise terminal, it's "extortion."

It is well-known that porters will indeed misplace/forget/lose/hide/drop in ocean if they feel slighted by the tip when dropping off your bags. For the sake of $5 or $10, it isn't worth ruining a 5-digit vacation. The Porter-Extortion-Fee just gets added to the overall cost of the vacation. Have 1 less Starbucks when you're on-board. 

• Like 1

I always tip - not worth the worry IMO.

Funny story, awhile ago when the porters would fill out the baggage tags for you, we were in cabin 007.  When the porter asked for my name and cabin number, I told him " Bond, James, cabin 007!"  We both got a kick out of that!

• 2 weeks later...

First cruise I ever took this big, sweaty porter looked straight ahead, held out his hand, and said,  “Tip.”  Gave him a few bucks then he lifted the bag and moved it a couple feet onto a conveyer belt.  Otherwise he wasn’t going to move the bag and I’m sure I would have seen it floating in the harbor later.